East Texas Food Plot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

East Texas Food Plot

Just getting back to hunting and have about 2 acres I want to plant a spring plot
    in. Wanted to see what has worked well for you guys. I’ve done soil test and plan on putting lime out in the next couple of weeks.

Iron & clay peas.

Comment

Will two acres be enough?

Comment

Wheat oats and rye. Break it good and top seed with good rain in the forcast mid sept Drag or roll the planted area if rain isn't imminent.

Fertilize as heavy as you can afford. 300 lb per acre or so.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
          Wheat oats and rye. Break it good and top seed with good rain in the forcast mid sept Drag or roll the planted area if rain isn't imminent.

Fertilize as heavy as you can afford. 300 lb per acre or so.

Planning this for the fall, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Milam View Post
            Depends on your deer density. Some places I hunt peas will last nearly all summer with plots smaller than yours. Some places they’re gone in six weeks. Depending on your soil tests, I like buckwheat for a first time crop. It grows quickly, it’s not as finicky about ph, makes a good weed suppressor, adds organic matter, and the deer will eat it, at least “mine” do. If you get the rainfall you’ll get a double crop out of it as it goes to seed quickly and they will germinate on their own. It is not as attractive as IC peas though, but may be better in the long run before your soil amendments kick in.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
              Depends on your deer density. Some places I hunt peas will last nearly all summer with plots smaller than yours. Some places they’re gone in six weeks. Depending on your soil tests, I like buckwheat for a first time crop. It grows quickly, it’s not as finicky about ph, makes a good weed suppressor, adds organic matter, and the deer will eat it, at least “mine” do. If you get the rainfall you’ll get a double crop out of it as it goes to seed quickly and they will germinate on their own. It is not as attractive as IC peas though, but may be better in the long run before your soil amendments kick in.

Thanks, might not be a bad idea. Like the idea of the peas but can plan the next spring. Not a very large density, more so in the fall when bucks are cruising.

Comment

Unless you have really high deer densities, it should be just fine. We did a mix of soybeans, cowpeas, and buckwheat last year. It did pretty good.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                  Unless you have really high deer densities, it should be just fine. We did a mix of soybeans, cowpeas, and buckwheat last year. It did pretty good.....

That looks great! Did you mix the seed yourself or did you buy a blend?

Comment

That looks great! Did you mix the seed yourself or did you buy a blend?

Naught separate and mixed in a bucket.
                    The growth definitely outpaced deer browse.

Comment

I haven’t found anything better than cowpeas and black oil sunflowers. This plot was about 1.5 acres and by August you could putt golf balls on it ( 4-6 deer using it)
                      Attached Files

Comment

Looks good

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

East Texas Food Plot

I ordered my seeds for a new 2 acre plot of my own this year. I’m sure my father will do something similar to the mix I posted above, but I’m going high diversity and aiming for some major soil improvement at the same time. I have next to no deer on the place my plots will be on, so I don’t expect much as far as activity for a few years.

The brassicas, flax, and safflower are for the soil. Compaction breaking, nutrient cycling, and organic matter accumulation are the goals for those species.

The sunn hemp, peas, soybeans, buckwheat, and okra are for the deer to consume.

Last edited by IkemanTX; 02-05-2020, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Tech Lab Lab, I planted every spring and it held up and the deer loved it. That was in the Woodville area. Fall I planted Buck Forage oats with the same results.

Comment

I've use WT extreme and lab lab with VERY good luck. I tend stay away from ryegrass mixes. Also some throw&grow over seedling works also.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X