after the kill then what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

after the kill then what?

ok, so I am new to public hunting and plan on hiking a good couple of miles from the truck to hunt. If I am lucky enough to fill a tag spot what is the best way to make sure the meat stays good? I figure I will field dress on the spot after tagging the kill but then what? Do I drag it out? Do I skin and quarter it at the kill site? Will it need to be placed on ice once it is back at the truck? How much time is there to get it to a butch with out ice? Just wondering how you guys do it while out there on public land. Any thoughts or suggestions of what is needed to bring the best venison to the table welcomed, thanks

23 looks and no comments for a newbie? Come on help a man out...

Comment

I would recommend getting a game cart so you can get the animal out, we typically field dress them and drag them out or haul them out with a cart. you need to check the laws to make sure you can quarter an animal in the field on public land. Sorry I couldn't be more help

Comment

not to excited on rolling a game cart out on the hike, but may be better than dragging out the kill. I thought quartering with proof of sex is ok, anyone?

Comment

Field dress and carry out is what I have done with the mouflon I have managed to kill. Furthest has been two miles and it was not that big... I would say quarter if its a larger animal and make two trips... Make sure you have a good pack and take some trash bags to avoid getting everything bloody... Game cart might be an option in some area as well... Best to check with game warden in area you will be hunting to see about the quartering in the field question... Sorry I can't help much...
          Last edited by Pedernal; 06-24-2013, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Only way a game cart would be an option for me would be if I left it in the truck and walked out to get it after I had one down. I'm not dragging a cart in with me every time. I guess you could take it in and stash it, but I'm not sure that's allowed.

Dragging an animal is not a feasible option over any distance, in my opinion.

I plan to quarter and pack. That's what we have done with pigs and it works well. Its a lot easier to walk through the woods with a load on your back, than to drag anything behind you.

Comment

Are you deer or hog hunting?
              What ever you do field dress ASAP if its a hike out

Comment

They have some new products out that is sort of like harness for your person with straps and another set of harnesses for the game. I was looking to try it this season. It's like a game sled per say

Comment

Get a good backpack( External frame) and pack the meat out.

In TX you can only quarter the animal( bones kept in leges)

In other states, they allow you to bone it out as long as sex is still attached.

I would recomend having a buddy that can help you pack out the meat after the kill!

( place meat in clean plastic trash bags before placing it in your pack to keep the meat clean)

Comment

Good to have a plan but not too much. I'd try to get one killed first then its a good problem to have. Sometimes the whole after kill experience the best part. Good time for everything to soak in while you handle your business. Good luck either way!!

Comment

be sure your way out, going in sometimes you go around trees, ect. I found myself dragging the whole deer out, but ended up coming out about a half mile down the road from the truck, it,s easy to get a little off track when you are dragging a deer and have to go around little things that you went over going in. depending on the temp. is a determining factor on how long to get on ice but if it,s below 50 degrees you have plenty of time. usually a couple hours is enough in any condition. take plenty of water to wash off the meat and yourself.

Comment

I would quarter it up if your 2+ miles in. Game cart for anything less. I usually leave the game cart in the truck and go get it after the kill. Yes you can quarter on public land as long as you keep the head.

Comment

thanks for all the good advise. Not trying to plan to much as said above, but want to have a good idea ahead of time and hope to have these issue to deal with (that means I got something). About the water. Do you pack in the water (how much is needed) or just wash of at the truck.

Comment

Book the next hunt

Comment

Originally posted by southtx View Post
                              Book the next hunt

Comment

Working...
                              X