Stereo Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rubberdown View Post
    Yea there is a difference. The question is will you care? Do you have some specific questions? I have had multiple tundras and used to set them up for sq competition along with some friends. I feel like I could answer most specific questions.
    Ok Ryan here I go.

Thought I wanted a high end set up and was quoted 5K
    I could do it but don't drive the vehicle enough to justify the money.
    So I have a 200.00 head with 6 factory speakers. 2 tweeter and 4 mid range.
    I want better sound.
    What head would you recomend that can get hd channels
    What high end tweeters
    What high end pair of mid range speekers
    and is there such a thing as high end low range speekers for the back seat????

Lets say the budget is $2500.00

Comment

What year tundra? Factory JBL or base model?

Comment

03 with tweeters

Comment

I mean honestly in the tundras the floating screens look the best to me but that’s very subjective. (I am assuming you have a 2014+).I bought a Alpine ILx-411 because I prefer alpine. The DMX floating kenwoods are nice too. CarPlay is sweet and the best option. I haven’t messed with the Android stuff.

Be aware in a tundra it requires a maestro interface so you maintain control of factory options to the head unit. That’s another 200 bucks are so on top of the cost of the head unit.

I mean at the price point you are talking I like hybrid audio or hertz or audio frog speakers. Buy a two way component set for the front and a coaxial for the back doors. Your going to need a 5 channel amp. I prefer the JL HD series or alpine PDX which are a little old school but still current and in my opinion sound great. There’s always other options though.

As far as a sub in your price range, look up taco tunes and buy their single 10 image dynamics 10 that’s ported. It’s a great subwoofer and they make a good enclosure.

I don’t know that you can do all that for 2500 bucks with install but you can get close...Ish.

Comment

ty.....

Comment

$5k? That's insane to me for a vehicle stereo system. When I was in high school it was a deck, couple Kicker 10's, and a flea market amp. We thought we were the sh*&. I honestly would like to get one of those flat screen stereo's with nav. and all of the bells and whistles for my truck, just don't drive it enough or care to drop that much money on it. Honestly I'd spring for the head unit, but the labor to have it installed is insane.

Comment

PM FlashOutDoors. He has a nice set up in his Tundra from a guy online.

Comment

Originally posted by Scubasteveo View Post
                  PM FlashOutDoors. He has a nice set up in his Tundra from a guy online.
                  Got Crutchfield on it. Lots of stuff on back order....

Comment

Yeah I forgot to mention that. I tried to buy a second ILXF 411 for my wife’s 4runner and they didn’t have crap in stock.

Comment

Have not got a new stereo system yet. Got the 03 Tundra repainted and a few mechanical things done and then found 2 holes in the exhaust. The truck has been sluggish and the new exhaust has turned it back into a race truck. Hard to not spin the tires from a dead stop.
                      Will get back on it...

Comment

When it comes to car audio, there are a LOT more variables than home audio. One big one is the sound floor. It is significantly higher in a vehicle than in a home. Because of that, once you get to a certain level, while driving you can’t tell an extremely high quality speaker from a high quality speaker. If the vehicle is parked, it is a different ball game and those differences can be heard, but how many times are you parked while listening? Typically not much.

With that being said, don’t let anyone tell you what sounds good and what doesn’t sound good. To me, a nice soft dome tweeter sounds cleaner and is less harsh than a hard dome tweeter even though hard dome tweeters are pretty common on higher end car audio equipment.

When it comes to the subwoofer, the box will make or break the sound. You can throw a cheap subwoofer into a well built and designed box and it will sound infinitely better than an expensive subwoofer thrown into a cheap universal box. Bigger is not always better.

In an automotive environment, sound deadening can help out more than more expensive speakers!! Sound deadening can decrease the sound floor, decrease unwanted resonances, and also make for a more enjoyable experience.

My hearing is not as good as what it once was. In 1999, I helped tune a friends Kicker sponsored sound quality car during the Spring Break Nationals. The factory seats were mounted on custom rails that had the front seats touching the back seats. This moved your ears further back in the car helping to equalize the distance from the left and right front speakers and your ears. The front component speakers were mounted in custom enclosures that were in the firewall of the car, slightly under the dash. There were 5 1/4” mid bass drivers under each front seat, and there were 3 Kicker Solobaric 12” subwoofers mounted below the trunk in a custom fiberglass enclosure. All of this was in a late 90’s Honda Civic that due to all of the fiberglass, sound deadening, and metal work weighed close to 5,000 pounds!! It was trailered everywhere. You could sit in the driver seat, close your eyes, and point out exactly where each instrument was located at on the stage when the recording was made! It was the cleanest sounding car audio system I have ever heard, but it also had $50k invested in it between components and installation costs.

Comment

I allways wonder about pulling a system out of a Hi-Line salvage car and transplant I tint my OBS....like a MB Harmon system...

Comment

I have about $800 total invested into my tundra. Did install myself tho. But none of it was major. It is literally the best balanced system I’ve ever owned. Reach out to me and I can give you a break down. I got all my stuff from a tundra know it all in Georgia. Look up tech12volts.com I believe. The guy knows his stuff. He specializes in tundras and know everything about them. Simply tell him your budget and I assure you he will set you up with the best stuff possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                            X