Need advice with door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice with door

My mom's door seems to have shifted a little to where she could not close the dead bolt. I went out and put 3 x 3" screws into the top hinge plate to pull it up some.

While she can close it now, it clips the bottom of the striker plate and now there is a gap at the top.

The bottom of the door seals well.

The top part of the door actually is about 1/8" past the door opening now.

Does anyone have any suggestions for fixing this? I see a couple of issues but I'm not sure how to address them.

****.. thought u were in my house for a minute as that looks like my door problems. I put some stick on foam strips to keep wind out and used a dremel tool on the strike plate. Plan on making some furring strips later to try and fix or just have door replaced.

Comment

Had a similar issue with my patio door that was giving me fits... I found a video online that was helpful. I had to adjust the hinge using a crescent wrench. Sounds like you may need to get use the "spreading" method described in this video.

Hope it works for you!
      [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48fFtKTGTEw"]Bending Hinges to Adjust Doors - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

thanks! Hopefully that will work!

Comment

When my back door's dirt dries out it moves. I installed a little tube that feeds it water from the AC unit. Only does it this time of the year........

Comment

Shim behind the top edge, get it good and square then screw the hinge back it. Looks like the door jam is out of square to me

Comment

Loosen those screws you put in a little till the gap is the same as the bottom. You'll need to lower the striker plate then drill out the wood jamb to match the hole in the plate.

Comment

Water the slab. Once we get some rain it will get back to squareish

Comment

Is the top 1/2 of the door not sealing, or is out of plumb? I work for a door company.
                  If the door is not sealing at the top, loosen the bottom 2 hinges and move the bottom of the door back into the house a tad and screw hinges in that new position. Strike plate needs to be adjusted to latch without any play or door won’t seal.
                  If you need to call me- 979-732-0932

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
                    Water the slab. Once we get some rain it will get back to squareish
                    I have this issue on my front door. I have a soaker hose on the north side of the house and when the dead bolt starts to get hard to lock, I turn the hose on for a few hours and like magic everything is back to normal.

Comment

There wasn't a gap until I ran 3" screws into the hinge plate. She waters her plants daily on her porch so I don't think watering the slab is the solution. This started out as a strike plate issue.

Comment

Here's another hinge video

https://www.reddit.com/r/DontSubscri...tm_name=iossmf

Comment

Originally posted by redhoghunter View Post
                          Had a similar issue with my patio door that was giving me fits... I found a video online that was helpful. I had to adjust the hinge using a crescent wrench. Sounds like you may need to get use the "spreading" method described in this video.

Hope it works for you!
                          Bending Hinges to Adjust Doors - YouTube
                          Good stuff! love his tactical tool vest!

Comment

Originally posted by redhoghunter View Post

Hope it works for you!
                            Bending Hinges to Adjust Doors - YouTube

That’s the exact video I found

Comment

If the margins are all equal and the contact with the threshold is good, adjust the striker plate.

Comment

Working...
                              X