No announcement yet.

Pulling a Travel Trailer with a Half ton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you can't stop your travel trailer with your 1/2 ton truck, you need to have the trailer brakes, or brake controller checked. There's no reason a reasonable sized trailer should be that hard to stop with modern brake controls, working trailer brakes, and modern disc truck brakes.

3/4 Ton trucks don't cost that much more than 1/2 tons, but if a 1/2 ton is your move, thenI would recommend...

E Rated tires on the truck
    Air bags to accommodate extra tongue weight (most people load trailers too light on the tongue), and keep the rig mostly level.
    A WD hitch WITH sway bars, not just the weight distributing bars, but an actual sway bar (or two).
    Learn to load the trailer right, get enough tongue weight, but not too much, etc...

As my Uncle Bud would say "Don't worry about the mule son, just load the wagon!"

Comment

I’ve never had a fun experience pulling a tongue pull travel trailer behind a 1/2 ton of any make.

It just plain sucks especially if you are used to a 3/4 ton or larger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Pulled 24’ camper all over Texas in a Ford F-150 (with trailer brakes). Now if you own a Chevy you better just sleep in a tent.

Comment

Originally posted by KenWood View Post
          I have a 26 footer. I HAD a F150. It pulled it and it sucked! I would get 6-8 mpg and it was white knuckle every time. Every bump and gust of wind was throwing the truck around. I bought an F250 power stroke and don’t even know it’s back there till I look in the mirror. I think you will have trouble with the lack of power and stability after always towing with a diesel. JMO.

this right here... i'm fixing to swap to diesel as well.

Comment

For short trips to the lake it will be fine, but if you are traveling any distance stick with the 3/4 ton.

Comment

Trailer brakes are a must if your pulling with an f150. I installed a Tekonsha on my truck before I went and picked up my trailer. I will move to a 3/4 ton but will not pay the inflated price right now.

Comment

We bought a 24 ft trailer recently and I pulled it from Llano to Pleasanton thru Fredericksburg & Comfort, then on I10.
                Used my 2002 Suburban.
                Has plenty power, but is in some lower gears at times and that engine really howls.
                Probably 7-8 mpg.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                  For short trips to the lake it will be fine, but if you are traveling any distance stick with the 3/4 ton.
                  I agree with this.
                  I told my wife the very thing at the end of my trip.
                  The Suburban pulled it, but it was grunting on those hills.
                  The rig came with a stability system, though, and it helps greatly.

Comment

I tow a 32' bumper pull with now my second Ram 1500, hemi. Pulls fine. Stops fine. Trailer brake will pretty much stop the truck if set a little too hard. Also does not bounce me or sway on the road, but I do have a quality weight distributing hitch and installed a sway control on both sides. I keep speed to 65-70, depending on road and wind. Would a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel pull better? Of course it would. But, I can't justify that expense just for pulling a camper.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

I've been pulling all kinds and brands of trailers with 1/2 ton. Sure I'm not first at the finish line but I'm there safely. All over the grand USA!!! I've even daisy chained my boat last in the line. Never an issue. As stated good trailer brakes, controller, stabilizer and weight in trailer are the key components. Don't be fooled as these things are also important using larger tonnage. One major item is paying attention, yes paying attention to your surroundings. Probably the most important aspect of pulling anything. Everybody wants to get there, it's best to get there safely. Hope you have grand adventures...

tending the fire,
                      Bob G.

Comment

Really just depends on the numbers on the trailer your wanting to tow and what the truck is rated for. Im on the road quite a bit for work and see ALOT of sketchy towing in the highway, especially travel trailers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Man, I have a baby sized camper. It's a single axle maybe 25' total OAL and I pull it with a new Ram 1500 (my wife's) and anything over about 70 mph is just not fun. The pucker factor is there. I will say I haven't towed much outside of smaller boats and utility trailers, but I wish I had more truck. It accelerates great and stops fine but it throws me around when I try to go the speed limit on the freeway.

Comment

Towed 26' bumper pull for 2 years with an '07 1/2 ton Chevy. I was always on high alert for winds, big rigs passing me from either direction and crawling up even the slightest grades.

Buckled roads really made the thing "porpoise" so bad I've almost had to stop the truck on the highway to get under control. I was running air bags, WDH hitch and friction sway control bars.

Very stressful driving days and I put thousands on miles on this way.

Moved up to a gasser V10- F250 and my driving days are mostly stress free. Still have to pay attention to following distances and be sure to drive like there's something back there. But its a night/day difference.

For me, it came down to some pretty easy math. My trailer loaded is almost 7000 lbs, and the Chevy only weighed, max 5600 w/ tongue weight. The tail wags the dog every time! Bump up to the F250 and its built with bigger brakes, lower gears and more torque. These are all good, but with tongue weight, its heavier than the RV. So the dog now wags the tail!

Good luck in your decision.
                            Last edited by VanX; 09-10-2021, 09:31 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                            X