Kerrville area mechanic for tractor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kerrville area mechanic for tractor

Anyone know anyone that would come out and tinker with an old tractor near Kerrville? It runs but overheats and I’m not mechanically inclined with tractors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What make and model of tractor? What is it used for? Shredding, disking, etc? Overheats at idle or heavy load only? Have you checked if the radiator is blocked with debris? It may be something simple like blowing out the radiator with compressed air or a malfunctioning thermostat. If you can give more information, there is a lot of help on this forum that are pretty good mechanics before you have to call out the big guys that will cost a lot of money. No slight to the big guys, they are worth every bit they charge when needed. Just a little more info would be helpful.

Comment

How far out of town is it? I know of a couple of guys but not sure if they do mobile work

Comment

Alright I’ll answer what I can:

It’s in Hunt. I’m not, I live in Magnolia and I cannot remember what the model is. It’s old, it only plows and I can get someone to go and tell me what the model number is for y’all.

It will start up but after running for an hour or a little longer it overheats. That’s most of the info I have. I’ll be back up there within the month but I just figured if someone was local and didn’t mind stopping by just to tinker, the landowner is an elderly lady and doesn’t have a lot of money to fix it. I’m
        Just trying to get it in good working order so I can use it to grade the road and whatnot.

Comment

Make sure radiator is clean, try washing it out with a water hose The fins where the air comes thru, check fan belt if it’s loose. Should be snug. Full of coolant.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech38 View Post
            Make sure radiator is clean, try washing it out with a water hose The fins where the air comes thru, check fan belt if it’s loose. Should be snug. Full of coolant.

Got it.

Comment

Agreed sounds like the radiator needs cleaning

Comment

If cleaning radiator does not resolve the issue replace the thermostat(s). They get old and stick, especially if you put water in the radiator and not coolant. Wouldn't hurt to flush the coolant out to and put new stuff in. Replacing the thermostat is a pretty easy job on older tractors. 1 hour of labor max with the right tools.

Comment

Might try Bill & Jerry's Radiator shop at 1304 water street. 830.896.3955, they have done a great job for me in the past...

tending the fire,
                  Bob G.

Comment

Don't rule out the water pump either.

Comment

Making notes of all these suggestions. I’ll flush the radiator first, try and replace the thermostats using YouTube or end up calling one of the radiator shops. I’ll be back out there in two weeks.

Comment

Working...
                      X