2021 Gardening Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShoootLow View Post
    For everyone that is concerned with the hot summers here, don’t give up yet. I hung solar screens (40%) over my raised beds last year and it’s made a world of difference. Minimizes evaporation from the soil and keeps everything a bit cooler also.
    My garden would take to much solar screen to make financial sense....but I have noticed when I started putting yard clippings and other plant debris over all my garden soil it made a world of difference...especially with minimizing evaporation. Now there is not 1" of exposed garden dirt in any of my gardens.
    I will say it is not a pretty as exposed dirt but I am long past that.

Comment

I finally did it. Caught this corn thieving SOB this morning!!!
      Click image for larger version

Name:	D247D4D2-B521-4FA6-85B5-92BDE48F6487.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	24653060
      Probably stripped a bushel or more of my sweet corn and it’s just not quite ready yet. Hopefully that was the only one. Got the trap set again just in case. Didn’t think I would catch it being the cats would eat up my bait. Apparently they aren’t heavy enough to trip the door. I baited it right at dark. Went and checked it right before I went to bed and dang cats done ate the bait. There was just a little bit left that they couldn’t get which ended up being just enough. So I was surprised when I went out there this morning!!

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
        I finally did it. Caught this corn thieving SOB this morning!!!
        [ATTACH]1050950[/ATTACH]
        Probably stripped a bushel or more of my sweet corn and it’s just not quite ready yet. Hopefully that was the only one. Got the trap set again just in case. Didn’t think I would catch it being the cats would eat up my bait. Apparently they aren’t heavy enough to trip the door. I baited it right at dark. Went and checked it right before I went to bed and dang cats done ate the bait. There was just a little bit left that they couldn’t get which ended up being just enough. So I was surprised when I went out there this morning!!
        You gonna take a drive and release him?

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
          You gonna take a drive and release him?
          What do you think???

Comment

I noticed a few pepper plants turning yellow in my raised beds after the last week of heavy rains.

I pulled they straw mulch back from the plants and tried to perforate the ground around them with a thin metal rod.

Any other ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by LukeDuke View Post
              I noticed a few pepper plants turning yellow in my raised beds after the last week of heavy rains.

I pulled they straw mulch back from the plants and tried to perforate the ground around them with a thin metal rod.

Any other ideas?

One of my tomatoes is mote yellow than the others at the bottom. I’m thinking the yellow will die off and the tops will bush out more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Almost everything in my garden is coming along great. Tomatoes, peppers, sweet potatoes, beets and herbs all look nice. Unfortunately, with all this rain, my bush beans are not producing. They are beautiful and flowering nicely but the flowers are dropping off. I’ve read that too much water can cause this. Hopefully they’ll come back and start producing.

Comment

I see fewer fruit on squash and zucchini, and also blame it on the rain, lol. My beans are rocking, however. Seeing more bees around lately, always a good sign.

Comment

Seen a lot of deer tracks in mine yesterday but so far, nothing eaten. I do have another coon or more to catch. Looks like it, or they went to town on my sweet corn last night.
                    Other than that, everything is looking good. Peas are getting on up there, watermelons are vining out, corn will need picking in next day or so and I have beans that need picking now. Just not enough of time in the day when I’m back on shift working 12 hours.

Comment

Didn’t catch another coon dang it. They tearing me up. If it wasn’t for the cats we have around now, I would have made up some coon aid and be done with it!!
                      First pic is where I went down between the corn rows and cleaned out and piled up what coons have gotten so far. Now I’ll be able to tell if they hit it tonight and how much they are going thru. Trap is still set.
                      Rest of the garden is looking good. Been getting some decent rain.

Name:	E60AB854-2DE8-4BA4-84D1-C96D2FCFF79B.jpeg
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	24653196

Name:	4792DD8B-2715-4E8F-B01A-03E139EF039B.jpeg
Size:	214.6 KB
ID:	24653197

Name:	6F825C2D-A65B-4632-8160-60862C5C3805.jpeg
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	24653198

Name:	6139893B-2611-4C2D-B259-AB7E5FF090EF.jpeg
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	24653199

Comment

That is a gigantic garden!

Comment

I’ve had bigger. Got some more clearing to do this winter to give me a little more room for next year.

Comment

**** coons can wreck havoc on some corn.

Comment

Coons got me for 16 ears last night but I got one of them!!!
                              How many ears can one coon eat???

Name:	7EC06C95-6614-43DF-BAE9-B3F98F12713D.jpeg
Size:	200.2 KB
ID:	24653208

Comment

Here’s our before and after Memorial Day weekend harvest from 4 raised beds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X