Summer Vacation Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Summer Vacation Ideas

Another thread reminded me to start thinking of some summer vacation plans and I figured I'd ask the GS for some suggestions.

Wife, kids (6 and 3) and I typically go to Colorado every year, and really really enjoy it. That said, last year was unbelievably crowded (I suspect everywhere is going to be this way though) and it got us to thinking we may want to venture out alittle more to places we eventually want to see. We have a camper and usually go for 1.5-2 weeks at a time and we generally prefer off the beaten path stuff, that said we aren't opposed to full hookup if the destination is a good one.

Currently, we have been toying with the idea of going East this year to the Appalachian/Smokies for a week and then dropping down to the beach in Alabama/Florida for the second week. That said, we don't really know of any places as we have never been, especially in a camper.

All that said, anyone have any other suggestions or neat adventures?

Ouachita Mountains in Arkansas is great

Comment

If you drop into Alabama check out Gulf Shores State Park. It is great for a camper. It's full hookup and will be packed but worth the trip. Book early.

Comment

Back East we liked
        -Mt. Washington
        - Niagara Falls
        - pretty much any small Vermont saturday farmers market
        - Acadia National Park/ Bar Harbor
        - Shenandoah Valley Virginia

Anywhere neat and easy to get to is gonna have a crowd. Our trick is to find out of the way hikes and small town/rural festivals.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Comment

Check out some of the State Parks in TN. The Smokies are nice but can be crowded especially the popular areas. Fall Creek Falls SP, Cummins Falls SP, and Rock Island SP are awesome areas for hiking, camping, swimming and fishing. North GA has some neat areas too.

Comment

Your kids are still young enough. Pull them out of school either end of year or first of year and go where you really want to go. Mine are now 10 and 8, getting almost too old to pull them out but in the early fall we went to Destin. Planning on going back middle of May before school is out. 2 weeks is probably pushing it but keep it in mind while they are young enough.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions to those above. Anybody else?

Comment

Working...
              X