Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2019, 10:06 PM   #51
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default Turkey Dekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Spies View Post
Is the flocked back a good buy?


They are all flocked back now. Dakota’s and DSD... Just a little black fuzz on the back to make them seem more realistic.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2019, 10:10 PM   #52
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default Turkey Dekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
I'm about to spend 160$ on decoys to hunt birds I don't like to hunt...I hope you all are happy with yourselves..


I know you hate turkeys with a passion.. But **** they are a fun thing to hunt when you hunt them
away from feeders and in the spring, calling and watching them work. Sit back and watch the in your face show and call it fall season payback. Snoop will love it.

The more you kill in the spring the less you see in the fall when you hate them
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2019, 11:37 PM   #53
Dale Moser
Pope & Young
 
Dale Moser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wise Cty
Hunt In: Young Cty
Default

I've called plenty in for other folks (I guess I've never shot one that I called in), and I'd be a ****ed liar if I said I didn't enjoy it. Just not something I care enough to do regularly.

But as you've figured out, this is all Snoop driven. I've never let him shoot one with a rifle. I've always told him that when he shoots his first turkey, it will be called in and with a shotgun. So he's keyed up and settin dead red to kill one this spring. As I tell him when it comes to baseball, or whatever else "if we're gonna do it, we're gonna do it all the way". So turkey decoys will be inbound shortly.....I'm sure it will be a yearly thing for him, and other kids at the lease ....and that's just fine. So good gear will not be wasted.

Thanks for the good info, men.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2019, 12:08 AM   #54
.243 WSSM
Ten Point
 
.243 WSSM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Metromess, TX
Hunt In: Fannin Co
Default

Scheels has their DSD's on sale for $15 off. Deception decoys are another higher end deeke worth looking at. I have the boss hen- she is looking over her shoulder. A unique pose that none of the other companies have incorporated
Attached Images
  
.243 WSSM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2019, 07:20 AM   #55
WTN
Eight Point
 
WTN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Edwards County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
They are all flocked back now. Dakota’s and DSD... Just a little black fuzz on the back to make them seem more realistic.
Dakota has both the flocked back and standard Jake, $10 difference.

As for materials, the Dakota’s are molded, not inflatable like the Avian-X. I prefer this in a jake since normally you’ll be shooting near the jake and a stray pellet won’t hurt it.
WTN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2019, 08:02 AM   #56
Justin Spies
Ten Point
 
Justin Spies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lufkin
Hunt In: East Tx, Kansas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTN View Post
Dakota has both the flocked back and standard Jake, $10 difference.

As for materials, the Dakota’s are molded, not inflatable like the Avian-X. I prefer this in a jake since normally you’ll be shooting near the jake and a stray pellet won’t hurt it.
This is what I seen on their site as well
Justin Spies is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2019, 08:04 AM   #57
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTN View Post
Dakota has both the flocked back and standard Jake, $10 difference.



As for materials, the Dakota’s are molded, not inflatable like the Avian-X. I prefer this in a jake since normally you’ll be shooting near the jake and a stray pellet won’t hurt it.


Hmmmmm I figured they went the DSD route and flocked all the jakes . Once I saw the flocked was available in Amazon last year when my hunting buddy bought the set I linked above in the Dakota I assumed there wasn’t another choice. Good I guess for those that want to spend $10 less but I’d pass on it for the flocked myself.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2019, 08:09 AM   #58
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default Turkey Dekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTN View Post



As for materials, the Dakota’s are molded, not inflatable like the Avian-X. I prefer this in a jake since normally you’ll be shooting near the jake and a stray pellet won’t hurt it.

Pretty sure the guy that asked knows that the Dakotas are molded. Or at least I assumed he did.

I think he was asking if it was as tough as the DSD that ClayW showed us that took a lot of his nephew’s pellet charge and still looked great. ClayW said others would not take it like the DSDs. It followed soon after that post anyway so I assumed that was the question.

Before I gifted my Dakota Jake to a buddy’s son and got DSDs, my Dakota jake had not met the demise of a shotgun blast or arrow puncture so I couldn’t answer him.

If he was just asking it it was molded, then disregard this post ..

Last edited by Smart; 03-13-2019 at 08:30 AM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2019, 09:34 AM   #59
ClayW
Pope & Young
 
ClayW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Braunfels
Hunt In: Karnes County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
I've called plenty in for other folks (I guess I've never shot one that I called in), and I'd be a ****ed liar if I said I didn't enjoy it. Just not something I care enough to do regularly.

But as you've figured out, this is all Snoop driven. I've never let him shoot one with a rifle. I've always told him that when he shoots his first turkey, it will be called in and with a shotgun. So he's keyed up and settin dead red to kill one this spring. As I tell him when it comes to baseball, or whatever else "if we're gonna do it, we're gonna do it all the way". So turkey decoys will be inbound shortly.....I'm sure it will be a yearly thing for him, and other kids at the lease ....and that's just fine. So good gear will not be wasted.

Thanks for the good info, men.
Good stuff!!!
ClayW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 02:52 PM   #60
elliscountyhog
Pope & Young
 
elliscountyhog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ennis,Tx
Hunt In: WG Outdoors on Facebook
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Spies View Post
That’s some expensive decoys now!
Tell you what... I will buy the mule and a trailer if the decoys come in the back
elliscountyhog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2019, 03:20 PM   #61
makotex
Six Point
 
makotex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: La Vernia Tx
Hunt In: TX & CO
Default

Anybody know of a store that carries Dakota or DSD around San Antonio? Or only online?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
makotex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2019, 03:27 PM   #62
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by makotex View Post
Anybody know of a store that carries Dakota or DSD around San Antonio? Or only online?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



Cabelas...and i am pretty sure Bass Pro carry DSDs
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2019, 11:31 AM   #63
El General
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Coke County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Helluva price on the Dakota pair on Amazon.

Dakota Decoy Turkey Decoy Breeder Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HXXK4A8..._ua-HCbCCVT2EG
So, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on these. My hunting partner has a Bass Pro gift certificate burning a hole in his pocket and is going to get a DSD.

We share gear, so trying to not double up if its not necesessary as I see that most people recommend the 3/4 strut jake if you are only going to buy one.

Since we have a Dakota 3/4 strut jake and a hen that can be standing alert or breeding, what other decoy would you get? Feeding hen, leading hen, upright hen? Another 3/4 strut jake? a full strut jake?

He is probably just getting one DSD.

What say the green screen?
El General is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2019, 11:34 AM   #64
ultrastealth
Ten Point
 
ultrastealth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Katy
Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El General View Post
So, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on these. My hunting partner has a Bass Pro gift certificate burning a hole in his pocket and is going to get a DSD.

We share gear, so trying to not double up if its not necesessary as I see that most people recommend the 3/4 strut jake if you are only going to buy one.

Since we have a Dakota 3/4 strut jake and a hen that can be standing alert or breeding, what other decoy would you get? Feeding hen, leading hen, upright hen? Another 3/4 strut jake? a full strut jake?

He is probably just getting one DSD.

What say the green screen?
IMHO, you really don't need the hen if you are calling. Gobblers seem to ignore the hen dekes and go straight for the jake.
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2019, 11:38 AM   #65
WTN
Eight Point
 
WTN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Edwards County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El General View Post
So, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on these. My hunting partner has a Bass Pro gift certificate burning a hole in his pocket and is going to get a DSD.

We share gear, so trying to not double up if its not necesessary as I see that most people recommend the 3/4 strut jake if you are only going to buy one.

Since we have a Dakota 3/4 strut jake and a hen that can be standing alert or breeding, what other decoy would you get? Feeding hen, leading hen, upright hen? Another 3/4 strut jake? a full strut jake?

He is probably just getting one DSD.

What say the green screen?
I would add the feeding hen.
WTN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2019, 11:38 AM   #66
El General
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Coke County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrastealth View Post
IMHO, you really don't need the hen if you are calling. Gobblers seem to ignore the hen dekes and go straight for the jake.
Well, we are both ****ty callers, so if there is something that can help out, that would be great.
El General is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2019, 11:40 AM   #67
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTN View Post
I would add the feeding hen.



Agreed...


I have the 3/4" DSD jake, upright hen and feeding hen...


Adding the mating hen next year and probably the mating jake for a changeup.

Last edited by Smart; 03-20-2019 at 12:12 PM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2019, 12:05 PM   #68
MASTERS
Ten Point
 
MASTERS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: South Texas
Hunt In: In the brush....
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beards&Spurs View Post
I prefer setting up in such a way that decoys aren’t necessary and make the Tom come searching, but when hunting more open areas, they sometimes become necessary. If budget minded, get a flextone hen and the Dakota jake.
If you are using a shotty that's fine, if you are trying to cut their heads off get DSD's. Period
MASTERS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2019, 08:24 PM   #69
Axis FMJ
Ten Point
 
Axis FMJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Willow City
Default

Got my Dakotas in today! Cmon weekend!!
Axis FMJ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2019, 10:15 PM   #70
Justin Spies
Ten Point
 
Justin Spies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lufkin
Hunt In: East Tx, Kansas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axis FMJ View Post
Got my Dakotas in today! Cmon weekend!!
They told me I’d have mine by today, but tracking number says Tuesday! What do you think of them?
Justin Spies is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 12:17 PM   #71
Axis FMJ
Ten Point
 
Axis FMJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Willow City
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Spies View Post
They told me I’d have mine by today, but tracking number says Tuesday! What do you think of them?
i think they look great. not as solid as the DSD's but real nice.
Axis FMJ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 12:41 PM   #72
WTN
Eight Point
 
WTN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Edwards County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axis FMJ View Post
i think they look great. not as solid as the DSD's but real nice.
Really good decoys for the price point. Killed a bird over my Dakota jake this past weekend. Good luck!
WTN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 03:41 PM   #73
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default Turkey Dekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTN View Post
Really good decoys for the price point. Killed a bird over my Dakota jake this past weekend. Good luck!


Yup.. I agree. Even though I’m rolling with DSDs this year at a Dakota price point
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com