Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-11-2019, 04:01 PM   #1
Axis FMJ
Ten Point

Hunt In: Willow City
Default Turkey Dekes

Hey guys and gals,

I am needing new Turkey Decoys. I am looking at Avian X. has anybody used them?
If not what are yall using and how well do they work?

Looking at Jake and Hen combo.

Gracias amigos,

RW
Axis FMJ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2019, 04:25 PM   #2
UltraMax
Ten Point

Been turkey hunting my whole life.

I have a question. Why do you want Avian X over regular ol feather flex type cheap decoys? I price checked these and almost hit the floor. My god they are expensive.

I’ve been turkey hunting my whole life and have used cheap decoys the whole time. They’ve never failed me even after I blasted a decoy with number 4s. The turkeys haven’t gotten smarter over the years.
UltraMax is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2019, 04:29 PM   #3
Axis FMJ
Ten Point

they looked very real to me when i checked them out. way more so than the old ones i am using now. Gear gets better over time. they did not have any like this when i bought my last ones.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:31 PM   #4
TxBowHntr
Six Point

Hunt In: Lee, Bee, Nueces, Uvalde

I have Avian X, and have had a lot of success with them. Success with them when other guys on the lease had trouble on the same weekend. I think the posturing is done very well. Of course the paint is fantastic. Will the simple foam dekes work? Yes. But when you have those days when the birds are less aggressive, or want to hang up just out of range, the better looking dekes can be an advantage. I will say, if I had the $$$ to burn, I would have couple of Dave Smith Decoys. They are the most realistic decoy short of actual taxidermy.
TxBowHntr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2019, 04:35 PM   #5
Jcjohnson
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burke, Thompson, Lincolnton

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraMax View Post

I have a question. Why do you want Avian X over regular ol feather flex type cheap decoys? I price checked these and almost hit the floor. My god they are expensive.

Iíve been turkey hunting my whole life and have used cheap decoys the whole time. Theyíve never failed me even after I blasted a decoy with number 4s. The turkeys havenít gotten smarter over the years.
Gotta agree Here I donít by the cheapest dekes because the foam will get hard to puff out and end up getting seams in them and paint flakes off easily. But I will not break the bank on decoys.
Jcjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2019, 04:50 PM   #6
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

I have used cheap dekes and I have used Dakotas and DSDs.....the birds reaction and how long they will stick around with them is no comparison. After the last few seasons hunting over good dekes, I will never go back to foam or crappy decoys if I want them to come in close. I'd rather carry a single quality 3/4 strut jake or a hen over my shoulder in their carrying case than fold up a crappy deke in my vest. To me they are another valuable tool in what we do and are worth a one time purchase that will last for years!.

If I am going to shoot them at 75 yards with a rifle or shotgun then hell it doesn't matter. If I want them in close then I think it can make a difference in success.

I would list them in order of quality and looks........... and would hunt over any of them. The Dakotas are a great mid price decoy on Amazon. I really like the jake's position like the DSDs.

DSDs
Dakotas
AvianX

Never had a Tom do this before for this length of time... until I was walking back after just killing one with my bow over them.

Last edited by Smart; 03-11-2019 at 04:57 PM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2019, 05:05 PM   #7
jaspermac
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper/Doole

Decoys are like coolers. Sure, a Coleman can get the job done but you can by quality once and have a lifetime of enjoyment.

I have killed a lot of birds using a turkey fan to bring them in and would rather carry it than any decoy
jaspermac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2019, 05:13 PM   #8
Jared.King
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eden, TX and Yoakum County

Iíve had a lot of success over the last 3 seasons with this year one

https://www.amazon.com/Hunters-Speci...X01?th=1&psc=1

Got it on sale for like $35.

Hereís some video from last season with hens interacting with it.

https://streamable.com/sksv4

https://streamable.com/phjyy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jared.King is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2019, 05:47 PM   #9
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Killing Stuff These Days

Thanks. Just bought a pair of Dakotas..............
Johnny Dangerr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2019, 06:57 PM   #10
Axis FMJ
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
I have used cheap dekes and I have used Dakotas and DSDs.....the birds reaction and how long they will stick around with them is no comparison. After the last few seasons hunting over good dekes, I will never go back to foam or crappy decoys if I want them to come in close. I'd rather carry a single quality 3/4 strut jake or a hen over my shoulder in their carrying case than fold up a crappy deke in my vest. To me they are another valuable tool in what we do and are worth a one time purchase that will last for years!.

If I am going to shoot them at 75 yards with a rifle or shotgun then hell it doesn't matter. If I want them in close then I think it can make a difference in success.

I would list them in order of quality and looks........... and would hunt over any of them. The Dakotas are a great mid price decoy on Amazon. I really like the jake's position like the DSDs.

DSDs
Dakotas
AvianX

Never had a Tom do this before for this length of time... until I was walking back after just killing one with my bow over them.

Texas Tom beats up Dakota jake decoy - YouTube
Thanks man going to check out the others as well!
Old 03-11-2019, 07:10 PM   #11
Hawkpuppy 1
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Texas

I really like the new Flextone Thunder Chick series decoys. Look good, birds seem to like them too. Still use the B-mobile for my gobbler. I also got the new remote control swivel stake they have out now. Looks like it should be pretty cool
Hawkpuppy 1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2019, 08:00 PM   #12
Jcjohnson
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burke, Thompson, Lincolnton

[QUOTE=Hawkpuppy 1;14041715]I really like the new Flextone Thunder Chick series decoys. Look good, birds seem to like them too.

Been using this one the last few years with success also
Jcjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2019, 09:03 PM   #13
Passthrough
Pope & Young

DSD are as good as it gets! I used to run the cheap foamies as well. Yes they all work...to an extent. I’ve never seen gobblers lock in on a deke like they do the DSD’s! Every experience I have had(and I hunt turkeys A LOT) has been money! They just seem mesmorized my the dang things! And hey.....if we can convince Smart’s tight *** to get some....then that should be the best selling point known to man....lol
Passthrough is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2019, 09:33 PM   #14
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthrough View Post
DSD are as good as it gets! I used to run the cheap foamies as well. Yes they all work...to an extent. I’ve never seen gobblers lock in on a deke like they do the DSD’s! Every experience I have had(and I hunt turkeys A LOT) has been money! They just seem mesmorized my the dang things! And hey.....if we can convince Smart’s tight *** to get some....then that should be the best selling point known to man....lol

LMFAO!!! I spend a lot of money on hunting but did not think expensive turkey decoys were worth the added cost much like a bunch of folks here.... I can certainly admit Clay and you showed me the light there..

Last edited by Smart; 03-11-2019 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:47 PM   #15
CTR0022
Ten Point

DSD for me
CTR0022 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2019, 10:18 PM   #16
Smart
Pope & Young

Here’s a great example of how the DSDs Jake hold gobblers in a hunt this past weekend. With permission from ClayW I’m posting his nephew’s hunt... This is the mating jake and not the 3/4 strut but they do the same.

http://youtu.be/LniVeKAI2VM

Last edited by Smart; 03-11-2019 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:20 AM   #17
Slew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: nowhere close to home

I picked up a pair of the Avian X Rio's a few years ago for $79 and have been real impressed with them. Shot plenty over cheap foam decoys as well but they'll come running to beat down that jake decoy! Little man and I were in the popup one morning and had one coming in gobbling and I looked down and had forgot to put the decoy out! I stuck it out the front window about 3' from the blind and little man nearly decapitated the turkey as it was working the decoy over between the blind and the decoy!
Slew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2019, 12:37 PM   #18
Smart
Pope & Young

Helluva price on the Dakota pair on Amazon.

Dakota Decoy Turkey Decoy Breeder Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HXXK4A8..._ua-HCbCCVT2EG
Old 03-12-2019, 12:48 PM   #19
CTR0022
Ten Point

Quote:
Hereís a great example of how the DSDs Jake hold gobblers in a hunt this past weekend. With permission from ClayW Iím posting his nephewís hunt... This is the mating jake and not the 3/4 strut but they do the same.

South Texas Youth Turkey Hunt - YouTube

good stuff
CTR0022 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2019, 01:08 PM   #20
ClayW
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Karnes County

Quote:
Hereís a great example of how the DSDs Jake hold gobblers in a hunt this past weekend. With permission from ClayW Iím posting his nephewís hunt... This is the mating jake and not the 3/4 strut but they do the same.

South Texas Youth Turkey Hunt - YouTube
Ya'll know I'm biased but I'll point out something that shows the quality of the material used in the DSDs.

If you watched this video, you'll notice the jake decoy took a heavy hit from the 7 1/2 shot at less than 15 yards. All other decoys mentioned on this thread would be in the trash after that.

I'll go grab a photo of the decoy to show the "damage" is almost non-existent.
ClayW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2019, 01:09 PM   #21
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraMax View Post

Iíve been turkey hunting my whole life and have used cheap decoys the whole time. Theyíve never failed me even after I blasted a decoy with number 4s. The turkeys havenít gotten smarter over the years.
Because I've hunted over the cheapees, DSD, and Avian X; and there's no comparison in effectiveness. I like the DSD's best, but Avian X are pretty darn good for about half the price. Since I've gone to the better decoys, most of the gobblers who've seen my jake deeks have attacked them. That never happened with the cheep ones.
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2019, 01:15 PM   #22
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Y'all are killing me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2019, 01:24 PM   #23
RoosterCogburn
Six Point

Hunt In: Planet Earth

What do y'all think Full Strut or 3/4 strut jake?
RoosterCogburn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2019, 01:26 PM   #24
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogburn View Post
I use the 3/4 jake. In watching a whole heck of a lot of videos of people using full or 3/4, there are far more gobblers avoiding the full strut than the 3/4.
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2019, 01:37 PM   #25
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogburn View Post

If you are just buying one jake, for all around usage and versatility I was told the 3/4 jake... and that's what I have used the last few seasons.

You can set him by himself, with a standup hen, with a group of hens, behind a submissive hen about ready to be bred.....you name it. Face him to you because the Tom will face him up and put his arse to you. It lets you draw or get your gun into position if needed.

Last edited by Smart; 03-12-2019 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:48 PM   #26
elliscountyhog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: WG Outdoors on Facebook

Quote:
Helluva price on the Dakota pair on Amazon.

Dakota Decoy Turkey Decoy Breeder Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HXXK4A8..._ua-HCbCCVT2EG
Anyone have some I can rent for a weekend?
elliscountyhog is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2019, 01:52 PM   #27
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliscountyhog View Post
Anyone have some I can rent for a weekend?

Just go dig in your trash cans for a couple hundred dollar bills you wiped the sweat on your forehead with Daddy Warbucks..
Old 03-12-2019, 02:15 PM   #28
UltraMax
Ten Point

Y’all must be hunting smarter turkeys than me. I’ve had toms attack my feather flex decoys too.
UltraMax is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2019, 02:15 PM   #29
mix
Six Point

Hunt In: Llano

I know you probably want them now but if you can wait you might can save a bunch of money on them. I paid $35 for the avian x hens and 50 for the jake after season last year. Midway put them on sale.
mix is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2019, 02:32 PM   #30
Axe Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnes County

DSD are the best. Started with a Jake and worked from there. ClayW talked me into them.
Axe Man is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2019, 03:02 PM   #31
Axis FMJ
Ten Point

I am going to try the Dakotas. The amazon deal seems pretty good.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:11 PM   #32
jaker_cc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb Ct., Karnes Ct.

Dave Smith Decoys are the way to go
jaker_cc is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2019, 03:31 PM   #33
Jesg1224
Four Point

Hunt In: Montana & Texas

I've had great luck with the Avian-X decoys and I think they look awesome! It made a huge difference when I switched from the other decoys I had previously (I can't remember the brand). I have a video review of the decoys and also some hunts up on my YT channel:

Review:
https://youtu.be/gNh28wGx7XY

2017 Hunt:
https://youtu.be/TLNb0QnyY6U

2018 Hunt:
https://youtu.be/-ZHzzou8eoY

2019 Hunt..... coming soon
Jesg1224 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2019, 05:03 PM   #34
Justin Spies
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Tx, Kansas, South Africa, Waiting for IOWA!!

Quote:

DSDs
Dakotas
AvianX

Texas Tom beats up Dakota jake decoy - YouTube
Ready to pull the trigger on the Dakota or the Avian X. Which would you think is better for mobile hunting? Can one man carry the Dakota combo over his back easily?
Justin Spies is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2019, 05:18 PM   #35
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Spies View Post
Ready to pull the trigger on the Dakota or the Avian X. Which would you think is better for mobile hunting? Can one man carry the Dakota combo over his back easily?

If you are extremely mobile, I'm gonna think the AvianX would seem like they better choice since they are deflatable. But I'm not sure how much room the pair takes up once deflated because I have no hunting experience with them. My comment above was about their looks in person on the rack.

I don't have to be super mobile because I've been on my place for 11 years and know where the turkeys are going to be in general so I carry multiple dekes....and now that I am back to archery hunting them I carry multiple in with a popup and set up on them.

But..... but on the flipside I do know several guys that are mobile (Passthrough above is one) that prefer to carry the single jake, DSD or Dakota, and act like they have a hen in the area just with their calls. I'll see if I can find my jake decoy in the bag pic to show you how much room it takes up. You could easily sling them both over your back because they are light, but there would definitely be some mass back there.....mass meaning size not necessarily weight. Certainly there are some other guys that can answer that part better for you.

Name:  00Deke3.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  101.1 KB

Name:  00Deke.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  205.1 KB

Back of ClayW's Tundra for a little better size comparison
Name:  000Deke.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  87.8 KB

Last edited by Smart; 03-12-2019 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:29 PM   #36
Kenner97
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atascosa, Wilson, Karnes County

I currently use a Avian X Jake and a DSD hen. The first time out I had a gobbler beat up on my Avian X Jake and put a hole in it. I was able to patch it up and it still works, but i'm saving some $$ for another DSD hen and DSD Jake.
Kenner97 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2019, 05:32 PM   #37
Passthrough
Pope & Young

Heck most of the time I tote around 2-3 decoys. Depending if I want the laying down hen with the jake. And they are DSD’s....so I know you can tote some of the other ones as well. Just depends on how bad you want to I will never,ever be caught without my jake decoy. It kills early or late season!
Passthrough is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2019, 05:41 PM   #38
Justin Spies
Ten Point

Quote:
If you are extremely mobile, I'm gonna think the AvianX would seem like they better choice since they are deflatable. But I'm not sure how much room the pair takes up once deflated because I have no hunting experience with them. My comment above was about their looks in person on the rack.

I don't have to be super mobile because I've been on my place for 11 years and know where the turkeys are going to be in general so I carry multiple dekes....and now that I am back to archery hunting them I carry multiple in with a popup and set up on them.

But..... but on the flipside I do know several guys that are mobile (Passthrough above is one) that prefer to carry the single jake, DSD or Dakota, and act like they have a hen in the area just with their calls. I'll see if I can find my jake decoy in the bag pic to show you how much room it takes up. You could easily sling them both over your back because they are light, but there would definitely be some mass back there.....mass meaning size not necessarily weight. Certainly there are some other guys that can answer that part better for you.

Attachment 949724

Attachment 949725

Back of ClayW's Tundra for a little better size comparison
Attachment 949726
Thanks for sharing! I think I am going to get that combo deal from Dakota that you shared.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:43 PM   #39
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthrough View Post
Heck most of the time I tote around 2-3 decoys. Depending if I want the laying down hen with the jake. And they are DSDís....so I know you can tote some of the other ones as well. Just depends on how bad you want to I will never,ever be caught without my jake decoy. It kills early or late season!
Quote:
Thanks for sharing! I think I am going to get that combo deal from Dakota that you shared.

This guy above does more of your run and gun style of hunting so I'd listen to him.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:34 PM   #40
Beards&Spurs
Banned!!!

I prefer setting up in such a way that decoys aren’t necessary and make the Tom come searching, but when hunting more open areas, they sometimes become necessary. If budget minded, get a flextone hen and the Dakota jake.
Beards&Spurs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2019, 07:19 PM   #41
talltexasshoote
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent and garza counties

DSD is the best out there. One time expense. My “Jezebel” got her head broken off when a bobcat attacked her. I called them and they sent me another one. “Jezzy2” is still making the boys fall in love. I’ve had her over 10 years. Dave’s goose decoys are second to none as well.
talltexasshoote is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2019, 07:22 PM   #42
WTN
Eight Point

Hunt In: Edwards County

I like the Dakota decoys. You can get the jake direct from Dakota for $79 and hens for $69 with free shipping. I like that the metal stakes store inside the decoys.

http://www.dakotadecoy.com/store_turkey.htm
WTN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2019, 07:29 PM   #43
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTN View Post
I like the Dakota decoys. You can get the jake direct from Dakota for $79 and hens for $69 with free shipping. I like that the metal stakes store inside the decoys.

**** that's a solid price.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:57 PM   #44
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

I'm about to spend 160$ on decoys to hunt birds I don't like to hunt...I hope you all are happy with yourselves..
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2019, 09:27 PM   #45
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
I'm about to spend 160$ on decoys to hunt birds I don't like to hunt...I hope you all are happy with yourselves..
eradicator is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2019, 09:52 PM   #46
Beards&Spurs
Banned!!!

Just wait until your standard department store calls just don’t cut it for you any more and you’re loading your own TSS shells. When you get the turkey bug, it can get expensive in a hurry.

Last edited by Beards&Spurs; 03-12-2019 at 10:00 PM.
Beards&Spurs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2019, 10:18 PM   #47
Justin Spies
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTN View Post

Is the flocked back a good buy?
Old 03-12-2019, 10:22 PM   #48
elliscountyhog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: WG Outdoors on Facebook

Quote:
Is the flocked back a good buy?
I need a pair of these to come with a new mule pro?
elliscountyhog is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2019, 10:45 PM   #49
Kenner97
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atascosa, Wilson, Karnes County

Are the dakota’s Made with similar material as the Dsd?
Kenner97 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2019, 11:02 PM   #50
Justin Spies
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliscountyhog View Post
I need a pair of these to come with a new mule pro?
Thatís some expensive decoys now!