Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-14-2019, 01:11 PM   #151
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post
If I said 3/4 you are guaranteed 1.5” in Christoval!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1" on the dot in 3 gauges...
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 01:21 PM   #152
8pointer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher county

Heading to the lease tomorrow for a much needed break from the daily grind with my lease buddies. We will be topping off cottonseed, trapping coons, shed hunting, setting up a community blind, black buck hunting, having a craw fish boil, drinking some whiskey, smoking cigars and playing poker.

We have had 2 protein fills since beginning of February. So far protein consumption at all 10 stations is down for us, but I expect it to pick up very soon if history from the last 5 years repeats itself.
8pointer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 01:26 PM   #153
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pointer View Post
Heading to the lease tomorrow for a much needed break from the daily grind with my lease buddies. We will be topping off cottonseed, trapping coons, shed hunting, setting up a community blind, black buck hunting, having a craw fish boil, drinking some whiskey, smoking cigars and playing poker.

We have had 2 protein fills since beginning of February. So far protein consumption at all 10 stations is down for us, but I expect it to pick up very soon if history from the last 5 years repeats itself.

Y all have fun Zac! Bring the pain to those trash pandas
Old 03-14-2019, 01:46 PM   #154
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
1" on the dot in 3 gauges...

txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 01:53 PM   #155
dgilbert
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke Co

1"1/2 reported at Robert Lee.
dgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 02:26 PM   #156
El General
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke County

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgilbert View Post
Sweet.
El General is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 03:04 PM   #157
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:

Irion County Rainforest
Old 03-14-2019, 03:54 PM   #158
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion co, Navarro Co

good way to kick off spring especially with the amount of ground moisture already in place.
KactusKiller is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 04:19 PM   #159
ETX-Deerslayer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Irion County, Gregg, Bowie, Cass, Upshur counties TX and Arkansas

I’m in Mertzon and we got just over an inch. Wind was pretty rough. Power was out for a little bit also. But.... bluebird sky today.

ETX-Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2019, 12:05 PM   #160
El General
Ten Point

For you turkey hunters:

I am new to turkey hunting and made a serious effort for the first time last year, and pretty much got schooled. They were not gobbling much though as it was late in the season.

We see turkeys on our place, but they do not seem to consistently roost on our place. They do seem to consistently roost on the property to the north of us. I have found a couple of places where they cross the north fence line, and there are some water sources that they seem to come to.

So, if I can't set up early on a roost tree, how would you go about trying to locate them?

My current plan is to get out early and try to listen for gobbles, then set up a little ways off where they cross. If that doesn't work, try to drive around and call to locate.

Is there a plan for how y'all would do this? Any other general turkey tips for a fairly novice hunter? Any tips for call sequences or calling in general?
Old 03-15-2019, 01:23 PM   #161
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by El General View Post
For you turkey hunters:

I am new to turkey hunting and made a serious effort for the first time last year, and pretty much got schooled. They were not gobbling much though as it was late in the season.

We see turkeys on our place, but they do not seem to consistently roost on our place. They do seem to consistently roost on the property to the north of us. I have found a couple of places where they cross the north fence line, and there are some water sources that they seem to come to.

So, if I can't set up early on a roost tree, how would you go about trying to locate them?

My current plan is to get out early and try to listen for gobbles, then set up a little ways off where they cross. If that doesn't work, try to drive around and call to locate.

Is there a plan for how y'all would do this? Any other general turkey tips for a fairly novice hunter? Any tips for call sequences or calling in general?

Smart is the local turkey f***** guru ! The man to ask!

Old 03-15-2019, 01:23 PM   #162
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Got a new rice bran feeder

Old 03-15-2019, 01:34 PM   #163
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher County

Quote:

Haha NICE! You are gonna be worn plum out by the time you get that thing filled!
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2019, 01:35 PM   #164
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Smart is the local turkey f***** guru ! The man to ask!

Searching for middle finger smiley.....

Last edited by Smart; 03-15-2019 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:35 PM   #165
Bone Thug
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion County

Quote:

Bone Thug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2019, 01:44 PM   #166
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
ocate them?

That's about all you can do if you don't know where they are. Location is key. I would start in the general areas of food and water sources if you don't have any roosting areas. Don't hunt on the sources but hunt in their general area because they will be around them. They are going to be there eventually if they are using them. If you have to cut them off then so be it. We run corn and water in each of our feedpens just to keep the hens around this time of year. The gobblers will follow. Our turkeys are big time roamers and roost where they end the day. There is no set roosts but there are some common roosting places strung out through the whole 2400 acres they use when in the area. We try to hunt in the general area of those roosts or we do have some more open areas the turkey like to frequent. Just depends on what we see scouting or on camera activity.

For calling go to youtube. There is a wealth of information that is much better than me trying to type what I like to do out.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:00 PM   #167
El General
Ten Point

Quote:
That's about all you can do if you don't know where they are. Location is key. I would start in the general areas of food and water sources if you don't have any roosting areas. Don't hunt on the sources but hunt in their general area because they will be around them. They are going to be there eventually if they are using them. If you have to cut them off then so be it. We run corn and water in each of our feedpens just to keep the hens around this time of year. The gobblers will follow. Our turkeys are big time roamers and roost where they end the day. There is no set roosts but there are some common roosting places strung out through the whole 2400 acres they use when in the area. We try to hunt in the general area of those roosts or we do have some more open areas the turkey like to frequent. Just depends on what we see scouting or on camera activity.

For calling go to youtube. There is a wealth of information that is much better than me trying to type what I like to do out.
Gracias dude.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:17 PM   #168
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Shotgunning multiples under corn feeders or out of pecan trees about midnight are the best bets.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:57 PM   #169
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere and when I can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgilbert View Post
Just wish it would hold off until may or june…..mud and more mud, lol!
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2019, 07:04 PM   #170
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Shotgunning multiples under corn feeders or out of pecan trees about midnight are the best bets.

LMAO!!! You just make sure you shoot the ones with small beards for now..

Last edited by Smart; 03-15-2019 at 07:07 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:43 PM   #171
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Quote:
For you turkey hunters:

I have always had good luck on water troughs near roosts in pm hunts. Also if I don’t for sure know where the roosts are I will cruise after sunset and glass trees/big powerline poles etc the last 45min of daylight to try and find birds then get in before light to set up near a clearing.
I’m usually hunting pop ups because I usually only bow hunt.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:40 PM   #172
8pointer
Pope & Young

Default 2019 San Angelo surrounding area season thread.....

Had a fun trip at the lease. Weather was beautiful. Most of our bucks still had headgear, but still found 3 sheds. I put out a truck load of cottonseed. Protein consumption has picked up and they were hammering the cottonseed. Buck (TXBuck74) got a pretty nice blackbuck. I saw the one I wanted but he slipped away from us on 2 different spot and stalks. We trapped 10 raccoons and I got a porcupine. The crawfish were amazing, the poker game was great and the drinks went down smooth. We will head back down in a few weeks for turkey and another try at the Blackbuck I’m after.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:01 PM   #173
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Good times good times!
Old 03-18-2019, 09:04 PM   #174
TheHammer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke Co, Panola Co

Quote:
Had a fun trip at the lease. Weather was beautiful. Most of our bucks still had headgear, but still found 3 sheds. I put out a truck load of cottonseed. Protein consumption has picked up and they were hammering the cottonseed. Buck (TXBuck74) got a pretty nice blackbuck. I saw the one I wanted but he slipped away from us on 2 different spot and stalks. We trapped 10 raccoons and I got a porcupine. The crawfish were amazing, the poker game was great and the drinks went down smooth. We will head back down in a few weeks for turkey and another try at the Blackbuck I’m after.

Looks like a dang good trip!
TheHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2019, 09:07 PM   #175
Jzoch
Ten Point

Quote:

You boys are doing it right!! Looks like a heck of a time.

Jzoch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2019, 10:40 PM   #176
Bone Thug
Pope & Young

Quote:

Old 03-19-2019, 09:34 AM   #177
8pointer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by KactusKiller View Post
Good times good times!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHammer View Post
Looks like a dang good trip!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzoch View Post
You boys are doing it right!! Looks like a heck of a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Thug View Post
Thank you guys! I'm so lucky to have such a great group to share deer camp with. We've all become great friends and look forward to having many more seasons together to create more memories.
Old 03-29-2019, 02:14 PM   #178
Rwc
Pope & Young

Breck and I are about to head out shortly to chase them thunder chickens for a couple days.

Might even put out a tad bit of feed............between hunting turkey and sheds.......

Rwc
Rwc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2019, 06:12 PM   #179
Bone Thug
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwc View Post
Breck and I are about to head out shortly to chase them thunder chickens for a couple days.

Might even put out a tad bit of feed............between hunting turkey and sheds.......

Rwc
Good luck....
Old 03-29-2019, 08:20 PM   #180
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Looks like well have an opening on our lease in Irion Co. if you like observing deer in the desert as much as we do shoot me a PM.

Old 03-29-2019, 08:53 PM   #181
Smart
Pope & Young

Hoping to thump some of Txwhitetail’s favorite birds in the am with the bow. Wind is gonna suck but hopefully we can make it work.

Popup is setup on my favorite field. Lotta activity on cameras around the lease and a triple bearded bird is amongst um.

Old 03-29-2019, 09:09 PM   #182
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Quote:
Hoping to thump some of Txwhitetail’s favorite birds in the am with the bow. Wind is gonna suck but hopefully we can make it work.

Popup is setup on my favorite field. Lotta activity on cameras around the lease and a triple bearded bird is amongst um.

Try to get 3 per shot.

Old 03-29-2019, 09:26 PM   #183
doghouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

I'm 100 miles east of you but 2019 and 2020 deer season should be good for bigger horns.
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2019, 09:48 PM   #184
Smart
Pope & Young

Fake Jake got him some new back hair

Old 03-30-2019, 06:48 AM   #185
Smart
Pope & Young

In other news.... Ricky won’t be coon fingering my Lamco anymore

Old 03-30-2019, 08:52 AM   #186
Bone Thug
Pope & Young

Quote:

Good luck, Jason.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:05 PM   #187
TheHammer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke Co, Panola Co

Got my first turkey at the new place. He had a 9” beard and his spurs were a little over an inch.

TheHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2019, 10:35 PM   #188
Bone Thug
Pope & Young

Quote:
Got my first turkey at the new place. He had a 9” beard and his spurs were a little over an inch.

Good deal! Big congrats, Hunter.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:36 PM   #189
arrowsonly88
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke county, Concho county, Bastrop county.

Quote:

Fun time man, Glad you were able to knock one down!

arrowsonly88 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-01-2019, 12:18 AM   #190
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:

Awesome... welcome to the addiction Hunter
Old 04-01-2019, 06:44 AM   #191
Jzoch
Ten Point

Quote:

Wish I could of made it down, buddy. Congrats again!! Going to be even more fun when Gunner is chasing thunder chickens and those west Texas whitetails with us!!

Jzoch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-01-2019, 07:01 AM   #192
boh347
Pope & Young

Hunt In: coke county, tx Nolan county, tx

Sweet congrats!
boh347 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-01-2019, 08:58 AM   #193
Rwc
Pope & Young

Great weekend to be at the lease, minus the cut through you north winds. Deer are extremely healthy and the ground vegetation is extremely thick and lush. The majority of our creeks/streams are still running. Protein consumption is at a all time minimum for us and that is a good thing.........ha ha.

Below are a couple mature birds I was lucky enough to kill Saturday morning. The wind and there concentration on the lady's got them killed. I glassed them down a highline right-of-way and made a unreal lucky stalk and closed the distance enough to get arrows in both of them. I believe the saying "better to be lucky than good" is appropriate here. ha ha

God bless and hope all have a great week.

Rwc
Attached Images

Last edited by Rwc; 04-01-2019 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:03 AM   #194
arrowsonly88
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke county, Concho county, Bastrop county.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boh347 View Post
Sweet congrats!

Wow, very cool on the spot n stalk turkey kill that’s great!

We are with yall on all time min. of protein consumption. Well take it! Should be a solid year of antler growth thanks to Mother Nature

arrowsonly88 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-01-2019, 09:31 AM   #195
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Good to see all the dead corn buzzards!

Old 04-01-2019, 09:39 AM   #196
Bone Thug
Pope & Young

Quote:
Great weekend to be at the lease, minus the cut through you north winds. Deer are extremely healthy and the ground vegetation is extremely thick and lush. The majority of our creeks/streams are still running. Protein consumption is at a all time minimum for us and that is a good thing.........ha ha.

Below are a couple mature birds I was lucky enough to kill Saturday morning. The wind and there concentration on the lady's got them killed. I glassed them down a highline right-of-way and made a unreal lucky stalk and closed the distance enough to get arrows in both of them. I believe the saying "better to be lucky than good" is appropriate here. ha ha

Rwc
Well done, Richard. Congrats on the bow kills.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:20 AM   #197
Rwc
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Thug View Post
Well done, Richard. Congrats on the bow kills.
Appreciate it Brandon. Jake knocked these two pigs down Friday evening.

Hope all is well.

Rwc
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2019, 10:42 AM   #198
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:

Rwc

Very nice Richard! Congrats!!
Old 04-01-2019, 11:01 AM   #199
Rwc
Pope & Young

Quote:
Very nice Richard! Congrats!!
Appreciate it Jason, we must have watched your video a dozen times Saturday, instant classic. Congrats to you and your group as well.

Rwc
Old 04-03-2019, 11:10 AM   #200
El General
Ten Point

Had a good report from the hunter's up at the lease near Robert Lee this weekend. They both scored two gobblers and said there were birds everywhere.