Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2019, 12:11 PM   #151
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post
If I said 3/4 you are guaranteed 1.5Ē in Christoval!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



1" on the dot in 3 gauges...
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 12:21 PM   #152
8pointer
Pope & Young
 
8pointer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Hunt In: Schleicher county
Default

Heading to the lease tomorrow for a much needed break from the daily grind with my lease buddies. We will be topping off cottonseed, trapping coons, shed hunting, setting up a community blind, black buck hunting, having a craw fish boil, drinking some whiskey, smoking cigars and playing poker.

We have had 2 protein fills since beginning of February. So far protein consumption at all 10 stations is down for us, but I expect it to pick up very soon if history from the last 5 years repeats itself.
8pointer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 12:26 PM   #153
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pointer View Post
Heading to the lease tomorrow for a much needed break from the daily grind with my lease buddies. We will be topping off cottonseed, trapping coons, shed hunting, setting up a community blind, black buck hunting, having a craw fish boil, drinking some whiskey, smoking cigars and playing poker.

We have had 2 protein fills since beginning of February. So far protein consumption at all 10 stations is down for us, but I expect it to pick up very soon if history from the last 5 years repeats itself.



Y all have fun Zac! Bring the pain to those trash pandas
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 12:46 PM   #154
txwhitetail
Pope & Young
 
txwhitetail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: San Angelo
Hunt In: Irion Co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
1" on the dot in 3 gauges...






Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 12:53 PM   #155
dgilbert
Ten Point
 
dgilbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lake Granbury
Hunt In: Coke Co
Default

1"1/2 reported at Robert Lee.
dgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 01:26 PM   #156
El General
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Coke County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgilbert View Post
1"1/2 reported at Robert Lee.
Sweet.
El General is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 02:04 PM   #157
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Irion County Rainforest
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 02:54 PM   #158
KactusKiller
Pope & Young
 
KactusKiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Midlothian, TX
Hunt In: Irion co, Navarro Co
Default

good way to kick off spring especially with the amount of ground moisture already in place.
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 03:19 PM   #159
ETX-Deerslayer
Ten Point
 
ETX-Deerslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Mertzon
Hunt In: Irion County, Gregg, Bowie, Cass, Upshur counties TX and Arkansas
Default

Iím in Mertzon and we got just over an inch. Wind was pretty rough. Power was out for a little bit also. But.... bluebird sky today.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ETX-Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2019, 11:05 AM   #160
El General
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Coke County
Default

For you turkey hunters:

I am new to turkey hunting and made a serious effort for the first time last year, and pretty much got schooled. They were not gobbling much though as it was late in the season.

We see turkeys on our place, but they do not seem to consistently roost on our place. They do seem to consistently roost on the property to the north of us. I have found a couple of places where they cross the north fence line, and there are some water sources that they seem to come to.

So, if I can't set up early on a roost tree, how would you go about trying to locate them?

My current plan is to get out early and try to listen for gobbles, then set up a little ways off where they cross. If that doesn't work, try to drive around and call to locate.

Is there a plan for how y'all would do this? Any other general turkey tips for a fairly novice hunter? Any tips for call sequences or calling in general?
El General is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2019, 12:23 PM   #161
txwhitetail
Pope & Young
 
txwhitetail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: San Angelo
Hunt In: Irion Co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El General View Post
For you turkey hunters:

I am new to turkey hunting and made a serious effort for the first time last year, and pretty much got schooled. They were not gobbling much though as it was late in the season.

We see turkeys on our place, but they do not seem to consistently roost on our place. They do seem to consistently roost on the property to the north of us. I have found a couple of places where they cross the north fence line, and there are some water sources that they seem to come to.

So, if I can't set up early on a roost tree, how would you go about trying to locate them?

My current plan is to get out early and try to listen for gobbles, then set up a little ways off where they cross. If that doesn't work, try to drive around and call to locate.

Is there a plan for how y'all would do this? Any other general turkey tips for a fairly novice hunter? Any tips for call sequences or calling in general?


Smart is the local turkey f***** guru ! The man to ask!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2019, 12:23 PM   #162
txwhitetail
Pope & Young
 
txwhitetail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: San Angelo
Hunt In: Irion Co
Default

Got a new rice bran feeder




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2019, 12:34 PM   #163
RascalArms
Pope & Young
 
RascalArms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Forney, TX
Hunt In: Schleicher County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post
Got a new rice bran feeder


Haha NICE! You are gonna be worn plum out by the time you get that thing filled!
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2019, 12:35 PM   #164
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post
Smart is the local turkey f***** guru ! The man to ask!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



Searching for middle finger smiley.....

Last edited by Smart; 03-15-2019 at 12:45 PM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2019, 12:35 PM   #165
Bone Thug
Pope & Young
 
Bone Thug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Angelo, TX
Hunt In: Irion County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post
Got a new rice bran feeder


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bone Thug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2019, 12:44 PM   #166
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El General View Post
ocate them?

My current plan is to get out early and try to listen for gobbles, then set up a little ways off where they cross. If that doesn't work, try to drive around and call to locate.

Is there a plan for how y'all would do this? Any other general turkey tips for a fairly novice hunter? Any tips for call sequences or calling in general?



That's about all you can do if you don't know where they are. Location is key. I would start in the general areas of food and water sources if you don't have any roosting areas. Don't hunt on the sources but hunt in their general area because they will be around them. They are going to be there eventually if they are using them. If you have to cut them off then so be it. We run corn and water in each of our feedpens just to keep the hens around this time of year. The gobblers will follow. Our turkeys are big time roamers and roost where they end the day. There is no set roosts but there are some common roosting places strung out through the whole 2400 acres they use when in the area. We try to hunt in the general area of those roosts or we do have some more open areas the turkey like to frequent. Just depends on what we see scouting or on camera activity.



For calling go to youtube. There is a wealth of information that is much better than me trying to type what I like to do out.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2019, 04:00 PM   #167
El General
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Coke County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
That's about all you can do if you don't know where they are. Location is key. I would start in the general areas of food and water sources if you don't have any roosting areas. Don't hunt on the sources but hunt in their general area because they will be around them. They are going to be there eventually if they are using them. If you have to cut them off then so be it. We run corn and water in each of our feedpens just to keep the hens around this time of year. The gobblers will follow. Our turkeys are big time roamers and roost where they end the day. There is no set roosts but there are some common roosting places strung out through the whole 2400 acres they use when in the area. We try to hunt in the general area of those roosts or we do have some more open areas the turkey like to frequent. Just depends on what we see scouting or on camera activity.



For calling go to youtube. There is a wealth of information that is much better than me trying to type what I like to do out.
Gracias dude.
El General is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2019, 05:17 PM   #168
txwhitetail
Pope & Young
 
txwhitetail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: San Angelo
Hunt In: Irion Co
Default

Shotgunning multiples under corn feeders or out of pecan trees about midnight are the best bets.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2019, 05:57 PM   #169
kumathebear
Pope & Young
 
kumathebear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: DFW area
Hunt In: Anywhere and when I can!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgilbert View Post
1"1/2 reported at Robert Lee.
Just wish it would hold off until may or juneÖ..mud and more mud, lol!
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2019, 06:04 PM   #170
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post
Shotgunning multiples under corn feeders or out of pecan trees about midnight are the best bets.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



LMAO!!! You just make sure you shoot the ones with small beards for now..

Last edited by Smart; 03-15-2019 at 06:07 PM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2019, 09:43 PM   #171
KactusKiller
Pope & Young
 
KactusKiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Midlothian, TX
Hunt In: Irion co, Navarro Co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El General View Post
For you turkey hunters:

I am new to turkey hunting and made a serious effort for the first time last year, and pretty much got schooled. They were not gobbling much though as it was late in the season.

We see turkeys on our place, but they do not seem to consistently roost on our place. They do seem to consistently roost on the property to the north of us. I have found a couple of places where they cross the north fence line, and there are some water sources that they seem to come to.

So, if I can't set up early on a roost tree, how would you go about trying to locate them?

My current plan is to get out early and try to listen for gobbles, then set up a little ways off where they cross. If that doesn't work, try to drive around and call to locate.

Is there a plan for how y'all would do this? Any other general turkey tips for a fairly novice hunter? Any tips for call sequences or calling in general?
I have always had good luck on water troughs near roosts in pm hunts. Also if I donít for sure know where the roosts are I will cruise after sunset and glass trees/big powerline poles etc the last 45min of daylight to try and find birds then get in before light to set up near a clearing.
Iím usually hunting pop ups because I usually only bow hunt.
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2019, 07:40 PM   #172
8pointer
Pope & Young
 
8pointer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Hunt In: Schleicher county
Default 2019 San Angelo surrounding area season thread.....

Had a fun trip at the lease. Weather was beautiful. Most of our bucks still had headgear, but still found 3 sheds. I put out a truck load of cottonseed. Protein consumption has picked up and they were hammering the cottonseed. Buck (TXBuck74) got a pretty nice blackbuck. I saw the one I wanted but he slipped away from us on 2 different spot and stalks. We trapped 10 raccoons and I got a porcupine. The crawfish were amazing, the poker game was great and the drinks went down smooth. We will head back down in a few weeks for turkey and another try at the Blackbuck Iím after.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
8pointer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2019, 08:01 PM   #173
KactusKiller
Pope & Young
 
KactusKiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Midlothian, TX
Hunt In: Irion co, Navarro Co
Default

Good times good times!
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2019, 08:04 PM   #174
TheHammer
Ten Point
 
TheHammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Carthage, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green Co, Panola Co, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pointer View Post
Had a fun trip at the lease. Weather was beautiful. Most of our bucks still had headgear, but still found 3 sheds. I put out a truck load of cottonseed. Protein consumption has picked up and they were hammering the cottonseed. Buck (TXBuck74) got a pretty nice blackbuck. I saw the one I wanted but he slipped away from us on 2 different spot and stalks. We trapped 10 raccoons and I got a porcupine. The crawfish were amazing, the poker game was great and the drinks went down smooth. We will head back down in a few weeks for turkey and another try at the Blackbuck Iím after.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks like a dang good trip!
TheHammer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2019, 08:07 PM   #175
Jzoch
Ten Point
 
Jzoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: La Grange, TX
Hunt In: Coke County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pointer View Post
Had a fun trip at the lease. Weather was beautiful. Most of our bucks still had headgear, but still found 3 sheds. I put out a truck load of cottonseed. Protein consumption has picked up and they were hammering the cottonseed. Buck (TXBuck74) got a pretty nice blackbuck. I saw the one I wanted but he slipped away from us on 2 different spot and stalks. We trapped 10 raccoons and I got a porcupine. The crawfish were amazing, the poker game was great and the drinks went down smooth. We will head back down in a few weeks for turkey and another try at the Blackbuck Iím after.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


You boys are doing it right!! Looks like a heck of a time.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jzoch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2019, 09:40 PM   #176
Bone Thug
Pope & Young
 
Bone Thug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Angelo, TX
Hunt In: Irion County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pointer View Post
Had a fun trip at the lease. Weather was beautiful. Most of our bucks still had headgear, but still found 3 sheds. I put out a truck load of cottonseed. Protein consumption has picked up and they were hammering the cottonseed. Buck (TXBuck74) got a pretty nice blackbuck. I saw the one I wanted but he slipped away from us on 2 different spot and stalks. We trapped 10 raccoons and I got a porcupine. The crawfish were amazing, the poker game was great and the drinks went down smooth. We will head back down in a few weeks for turkey and another try at the Blackbuck Iím after.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bone Thug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2019, 08:34 AM   #177
8pointer
Pope & Young
 
8pointer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Hunt In: Schleicher county
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KactusKiller View Post
Good times good times!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHammer View Post
Looks like a dang good trip!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzoch View Post
You boys are doing it right!! Looks like a heck of a time.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Thug View Post
Thank you guys! I'm so lucky to have such a great group to share deer camp with. We've all become great friends and look forward to having many more seasons together to create more memories.
8pointer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com