Turned one of my tripods into a ladder stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turned one of my tripods into a ladder stand

I have or had a old 6' tripod I built to hunt the Aransas Mosquito Refuge. I have not used it much in recent years.

Recently I decided I wanted a ladder stand, to use on our property and to use on some public land. So I decided I would turn the ladder and the other two legs of the tripod, into a 12' ladder. Then reuse the seat. I used as much of the scrap I had as possible, one to cut cost and then also so I did not have to drive into town. I still wound up having to make a couple trips to town, for metal I did not have, I did save a few trips by using metal I had.

I was not really sure of how I was going to build it, I came up with ideas, as I went. I had a basic idea, not a detailed plan on the exact design. I still have a few things to do. I need to cut some square tubing for a ladder brace and then cut and weld some expanded metal on the platform to make a floor. Then some texture and some color, once the welding is done.

I made the platform 30" by 30", with the seat I used, 30X30 seems a bit small, I figured that would be a very large platform. I made a rifle rest, similar to the one I have done in the past, but used larger tubing to make it more rigid. Like most of my previous rifle rests, I made it, so I can remove it and use the stand as a bow stand also.

When I started getting it close to completion, I realized it was a bit heavy. Knowing I plan to use it on public land, which means I will have to take it into wherever I am going to set it up. So I decided I would set it up, so I could install a axle and a pair of wheels. Then I will bolt the two pieces of the ladder to the platform, so I can pull it to where I am going to set it up and then use it for a game cart, if I manage to kill something.

I set it up on a tree next to one of my other projects, my wife's greenhouse. That I have been told, has to be finished before I go hunting. She wants her plants inside, before it gets any colder, that it did this past week.

The stand was very stable, the platform I thought would be huge, turned out to be a bit on the small side, with the large seat, I used. I should be comfortable up on that thing for many hours at a time. Never hunted from any form of tree stand, other than just climbing up in a live oak and standing on a limb. So this will be a bit different for me. It will be similar to some of my past tripods, just only has one leg and then the other two legs are replaced with a tree. I think the tallest tripod, I have ever built was either 8' or 10'. Don't know that was a long time ago, all of my early tripods got stolen many years ago. In recent years, I have only built 5', 6' and 7' tripods, for hunting in mesquite and cedar brush.

Hopefully this week I can get it finished and then get it set up on our property. Then do some hunting from it. I have had my box blind up for months, killed quite a few squirrels from it. Seen numerous deer from it, they could not seem to see me. I have the box blind set up as a morning blind. The back of the blind is set up to the east. So in the morning, it's shadowed inside the blind, but in the afternoon, you would be looking directly into the sun and the inside of the blind would be lit up brightly. So I won't hunt that blind in the afternoons. I have been wanting to get a ladder stand set up in the back of the property, with it facing towards the east, and use that as my evening stand. Hopefully the bucks will still be chasing does, by the time I get to do some hunting. They have been chasing the doe for a while now and I have not had a blind, or stand, that would have worked for bow hunting. So they have been safe from me.
    Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 04-06-2021, 07:06 AM.

Hah--your opening comment about the "Aransas Mosquito Refuge" sure brought back memories. They ran me out of the woods and back to the truck one morning, in spite of a liberal application of OFF!.

But, on your subject--that made a nice ladder stand for sure.

Comment

We have called it that for years. A buddy and I started hunting that place when we were 16 and hunted there up till the state took over the hunting.

I swear if you can take those mosquitos without any problem, I am sure being water boarded or most any other form of torcher, would be a cake walk.

I am trying to get it finished before this weekend. I really want to try it out this weekend. Hopefully it works well, never built a ladder stand or any other type of tree stand. I need to get it set up and do some shooting from the stand, with both the bow and one or two of my rifles. I am not sure where any of them are going to be hitting from the stand.

Comment

Great idea, welding looks awesome, good luck

Comment

Please b sure and wear a safety harness when using it. I fell from just a 12 ft tripod one month ago and broke 6 ribs and punctured a lung. Had to b care flighted to the nearest hospital. Easily could have been worse if my son wasn’t there. Be careful.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn21 View Post
            Please b sure and wear a safety harness when using it. I fell from just a 12 ft tripod one month ago and broke 6 ribs and punctured a lung. Had to b care flighted to the nearest hospital. Easily could have been worse if my son wasn’t there. Be careful.
            Definitely does not sound like any fun. I bought a harness, never used one, going to try and figure it out this weekend. I hope I bought all of the pieces I need for the harness. I bought a kit from Cabela's, it seemed to have everything in the kit, but I really have no idea.

Hope you are doing good.
            Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 11-05-2020, 09:52 PM.

Comment

So I got all of the welding done, today. So I am going to set up the ladder stand tomorrow morning. The rut seems to be going strong right now. I pulled the cards out of the cameras, I have a lot more pictures of deer on each of the cameras than normal multiple new bucks showing up. There may be one or two legal ones showing up, not sure. Some incentive to get it set up, before this weekend.

Comment

nice

Comment

This morning, I went and found a spot to set up the ladder stand, for mainly afternoon hunts, but I know in the morning, in the area I set it up, the bucks like to chase doe through the area, during the rut. I will likely hunt this in the morning also, just have to wear a hat with a bill or something to keep the sun out of my eyes.

I got it set up, found the tree I put it in, is full of ant, I need to get rid of them, then trim some tree limbs. Going to go out in a bit and trim some limbs tonight. I actually just remembered about the limbs.

It's up and mostly ready for tomorrow morning.

Comment

Originally posted by nimrodtracy View Post
                    nice
                    Thanks, it's very stable and very heavy, not something to pack a long ways in, but maybe I will give it a try.

Comment

Be very careful and wear that harness ! We don’t want to hear about you falling out of that sucker !

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                        Be very careful and wear that harness ! We don’t want to hear about you falling out of that sucker !
                        Yea, I have one, never used one. Going to try and figure the thing out this weekend.

If I fall out of that tree y'all will know. If there is about a magnitude 4 earth quake with a epicenter just south east of Seguin, this weekend in the morning or evening. That would be me falling out of the tree.

I was up in it about 30 minutes ago, trimming tree limbs. It was dark, no moon at all that I could see. With the light off, I could not see anything. I think I got it in a pretty good spot. Should make a good bow stand. There is a heavy deer trail that comes up right behind the tree it's in. I saw that when I was taking pictures of it this morning after I set it up. Last year I set up the 6' tripod that I made this ladder stand, from pieces of. In the same general area, saw quite a few deer and foxes, had them come right up to me. I really had no cover, being that low to the ground on a tripod. At first the deer did not expect me to be there on a tripod. So I had multiple walk well within bow range, then multiple come right up to the tripod, then realized I was sitting on the tripod and they took off. Because I really had no cover. Once I had been busted a few times, I stopped seeing deer when I was on the tripod. I have been planning on building a taller ladder stand ever since. Hopefully I am high enough up, they won't notice me, that and being up against the tree, hopefully will help me from being silhouetted.
                        Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 11-06-2020, 09:23 PM.

Comment

The stand seems to be working very well. I hunted the stand yesterday morning. Saw a spike about 25 yards from the stand, then had three doe in the same spot going the opposite direction. Then the spike following them. Then later had a doe run straight at me. Then later I had a small 8 point slowly walk past me about 15 yards away. None of them saw me or had any idea I was in the stand. It seems to work well.

This morning, I saw absolutely nothing. Then walked back to the house. On the way back to the house, I went past the feeder. I saw a small spike near the feeder, stopped to watch the spike, but as I was backing up, he saw me. When he did, he bolted, right behind him was a nice buck, definitely legal buck, which I have seen numerous bucks on camera, lately, but none that were obviously legal. So I guess I am going to sit in the ground blind I built this past spring, tomorrow morning.

Comment

I forgot, after that first morning of ladder stand testing, I determined the seat post, needed a bushing of some type. I could feel the seat post starting to get harder to turn, by the end of that first sit. The two sizes of pipes I used for the seat post, are a pretty good fit. The inner just slides into the larger pipe. They are both DOM, so they are seamless.

But I could tell it was getting harder to swivel the seat, by the end of the morning hunt. So when I got to the shop, I looked around and saw I had a piece of Delrin, so I decided that should work good and should not take long to make a bushing out of.

I turned it on the lathe, The larger pipe OD, is 2", so I cut the Delrin down to 2.5" OD, then bored a 2.07" ID hole about 3/4" deep from both ends. Then a step with a ID of 1.720" through the middle. By making the bushing slide over the lower piece of 2" and then have the tubing that the seat attaches to slide into the top end of the Delrin. It should help hold some grease in between the three pieces. I covered the 1.70" OD inner tube with moly grease and then packed some moly grease down in the Delrin bushing. This morning the seat would swivel like it was on a well greased bearing and no noise at all. Yesterday, it would creak every once in a while, more so, the more I moved back and forth. It was definitely galling up the two pieces of metal. It's slick as can be now. I will try to remember to get a picture of the bushing the next time I go climb up on the stand.

Comment

Very nice re-build!

Comment

Working...
                              X