Fannin County Habitat Groups???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fannin County Habitat Groups???

Are there any wildlife Co-Ops or habitat groups in Fannin county? I started restoring my parents place this year, and am wanting to transition to no-till. I know that I can easily plant fall plots with a throw-n-mow, but summer plots will REALLY need to be no-till drilled. The county extension office has one, but it requires a 70hp tractor as a minimum, and that’s bigger than what I have access to.

Also, I would like to assist in a few prescribed fires so that I feel more comfortable planning our 2021 burn on the 8.5 acre unit of cedars we cut.

The family place is just north of Bailey, if that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bump to bring it back up to the top.

Comment

I’m going to bump this one again...

Any habitat minded guys, or habitat coops etc in Fannin county?

Or, does anyone know someone who would be able to No-till a couple 2 acre plots for a small fee or sweat equity??

The county has a no-till for rent, but they recommend a 100hp tractor minimum, and I don’t have access to one that big.

Comment

Mayfield McCraw

Give this guy a call. He farms lots of land in Fannin County and may be able to help you out. When I worked on the Caddo N.G. he helped us out several times.

We are located on the Red River in Telephone, Texas, where we raise over 1200 acres of Tifway 419 Bermuda. Our grass can be delivered or picked up right here on the farm.

Home Office: 903-664-2332
        Fax: 903-664-2331

You can also reach us by cell phone or email...

Lynn Gibbs, Farm Manager :: 903-583-0239 :: Email

Mayfield McCraw, Owner :: 903-583-0108

Pam Gibbs, Secretary :: 903-227-0824 :: Email

Bryan McCraw, Operations Manager :: 903-640-3828

Comment

Originally posted by Froggy View Post
          Mayfield McCraw

Give this guy a call. He farms lots of land in Fannin County and may be able to help you out. When I worked on the Caddo N.G. he helped us out several times.

We are located on the Red River in Telephone, Texas, where we raise over 1200 acres of Tifway 419 Bermuda. Our grass can be delivered or picked up right here on the farm.

Home Office: 903-664-2332
          Fax: 903-664-2331

You can also reach us by cell phone or email...

Lynn Gibbs, Farm Manager :: 903-583-0239 :: Email

Mayfield McCraw, Owner :: 903-583-0108

Pam Gibbs, Secretary :: 903-227-0824 :: Email

Bryan McCraw, Operations Manager :: 903-640-3828
          Froggy-

On caddo and lbj the fire breaks used to be planted in fall food plots. Was this some nwtf deal and the money dried up for it or what? Was nice to see that on public land. Also, is caddo ever going to get a controlled burn ever again? Some fringe units were burned a few years back but the main big units with hardwoods haven't been burned in years. I thought they were supposed to be burned every 3-4 years in a rotation to maximize wildlife populations? It's a shame a management tool that is productive isn't being used anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by .243 WSSM View Post
            Froggy-

On caddo and lbj the fire breaks used to be planted in fall food plots. Was this some nwtf deal and the money dried up for it or what? Was nice to see that on public land. Also, is caddo ever going to get a controlled burn ever again? Some fringe units were burned a few years back but the main big units with hardwoods haven't been burned in years. I thought they were supposed to be burned every 3-4 years in a rotation to maximize wildlife populations? It's a shame a management tool that is productive isn't being used anymore.

This is why I started hunting across the river... OK puts LOTS of efforts into plots and burns.

I don’t ever hunt the plots on public because the pressure is so high, but it keeps LOTS of guys out of the good spots if you give them a green field sit over... [emoji1787]

Comment

Working...
            X