No announcement yet.

Acorn Crop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dropping in Burnet, Llano and Mills County.

Granddad taught me this trick yrs ago. Way back before they had deer feeders Granddad would fertilize a couple of oak motts every late winter/early spring. These trees would produce larger and sweeter acorns. When I was serious about hunting I would do this and deer would walk past oak trees to come to the ones I fertilized. Something to think about for the next yr.

Comment

Fertilizing an oak stand. Good idea

Comment

QDMA’s website has some great info on acorn management! (If i we’re smarter, I’d post a link... just google fertilizer on oaks for deer)

It’s probably the least productive way to improve acorns in their study. Sunlight and remove competition are key.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
          Not worth the effort
          Agreed, not worth the effort. The oak trees all over the place have acorns beneath them. Deer will just eat there rather than go to the lesser desired corn.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
            QDMA’s website has some great info on acorn management! (If i we’re smarter, I’d post a link... just google fertilizer on oaks for deer)

It’s probably the least productive way to improve acorns in their study. Sunlight and remove competition are key.
            My experience says otherwise and the old ranchers swore by it. You don’t fertilize all just a select few. No difference than fertilizing food plot. Fertilized food plot/oat fields will draw in more deer. That is common since. There is a reason we fertilize heavy on our 13 acre oat field. Same reason peach farmers and other fruit farmers fertilize
            Last edited by BrandonA; 10-01-2020, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasTiger View Post
              have seen decreased action at feeders & food plots this week (anderson county). anybody have acorns raining yet?
              Acorns been falling since early Sept

Comment

Acorns falling in San Saba have put most of the deer off feeders.

Comment

Originally posted by dhall1414 View Post
                  I've got a few burr oaks and a few other oaks (not sure which) at my house and they're just starting to drop acorns (in Sanger). Would it be a good idea to gather up a few buckets of them and bring them to the feeder?
                  I tried it last year outta this same curiousity with a 5 gallon bucket of Burr Oak Acorns, under a feeder. They didn't seem to know what to do with them. they'd nibble on them a little here and there and the hogs would help but they were comin for the corn mainly....

This year I tried it again but removed the caps and busted them up a bit (also fully shelled a bunch because I got bored at camp). I tossed them out underneath an oak tree that I had a tree stand setup, and they hit them HARD, basically ignored the hard corn or whatever else was out. Kinda funny seeing a small fawn chomp on one of those massive things.

I basically confirmed that Deer WILL eat acorns under an oak tree with my study haha

Wasnt too much trouble though, I had them all picked up and put in buckets anyways from when I mow or they'd get launched out the side and bust a window or knock a cow out.

I thought about planting a few out there, but the cap is so big that I think its a bit foreign to the deer and hogs, not to mention those things hurt when they fall outta the tree, can't imagine the damage it would do to a nubbin buck if it hit em square between the eyes.

Comment

Are y’all noticing anywhere close to as big an acorn crop as last year?

Comment

Originally posted by Greylight318 View Post
                      Are y’all noticing anywhere close to as big an acorn crop as last year?
                      Very little on gound, on tree. 2nd year in a row. Grrrrrr.....

Comment

Very few in Wise County. My deer are hammering the corn.

Comment

Mine are all gone in the woods. The live oaks at my house are dropping pretty heavy

Comment

Nothing in Rufuguio and Bee counties where I hunt, last year bumper crop I guess way to dry to produce this year.

Comment

No oaks except pin oaks for us

Comment

We are covered up with post oaks and water oaks and have had about 1% of the usual mast crop here in Grimes. Where I live with live oaks, none either.

Comment

Working...
                                X