No announcement yet.

Is this a flathead cat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is a spawning male channel cat. I'm not guessing. That's what it is. Others have said it and they are right. Puzzle solved guys.

Comment

If fish was cleaner it would be easier to tell. I'd say blue cat. Not a flathead. I've caught blue cats that look like that in the Nueces.

BTW - fish in post 24 are blues.

Comment

I'd say it's a channel cat. Those big ones get a big ole goofy head on them.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
          It is a spawning male channel cat. I'm not guessing. That's what it is. Others have said it and they are right. Puzzle solved guys.
          Not saying you're wrong. You're probably correct. But do male spawning channels not have spots? And are they dark blue and not brown at all?

How big do they get? I've caught them that look just like this one that weighted 8-13 pounds. Assumed they were blues. When cleaned they didn't have yellowish meat like regular channels.

Comment

World record Riverwalk Polly wog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If it’s a bullhead is that the same as a mud cat?

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                World record Riverwalk Polly wog.

Right!

Comment

I have never tried to understand the differences between catfish. A few times, I have caught catfish, that I was pretty sure that I knew what they were, but for the most part, I just worry how they taste.

The only catfish I was ever good at identifying are hardheads and gafftop.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                    If fish was cleaner it would be easier to tell. I'd say blue cat. Not a flathead. I've caught blue cats that look like that in the Nueces.

BTW - fish in post 24 are blues.
                    Yes they turn dark blue and swell up. The fish in post 24 are male channel cat.
                    Last edited by GarGuy; 07-01-2020, 04:22 PM.

Comment

If that tail-fin is not V-shaped, that may very well be a record Black bullhead! And it looks pretty flat to me, even scrunched up.

Just check out what TAM has to say. And send them the pics.

Comment

I agree it looks like an old male channel cat. The hand holding the tail closed the V of the channels tail.

Comment

Originally posted by jp77 View Post
                          It weighed 6.5 lbs, and we have been catching lots of bullheads behind the house, however this one didn’t have the light ring at the tail base, that’s why I assumed it want that species either.

And that sir is a yeller bullhead.

Comment

Channel tails have pointy ends, even scrunched up. Count the anel fins. And where to they start? Close to the body? or away from it? Channels start at the body.

Course it could be some type of hybrid too.

Gur Guy is correct in pointing out that male channels head's swell up during the spawn. Kinda like a male teen on or after a first date sometimes.

Comment

Simple video showing tails of Blue, channel, and yeller. That fish in OP don't have a forked tail!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXpDDl_GV0g"]YouTube[/ame]

Comment

If you clean it and it loses 5 gallons of blood then still won't die it's a channel.

Comment

Working...
                                X