Chicken whisperers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken whisperers

I told the wife I’d like to try and slip about three or four chickens in the backyard. Well she started in on me about how chickens attract possums, rats, snakes etc etc and are too dirty to keep undetected in a backyard. Not talking about any roosters for obvious reasons.
    So, is she right? Or can I get away with it?

If you have neighbors they will know you have chickens. That said, two or three hens wouldn’t be a big deal if you could keep them penned up.

Comment

If your city ordinance doesn't prohibit them, keeping them hidden from other people shouldn't be an issue.

I have 4 hens in my backyard and we love the fresh eggs. The hens can squawk and we hear them sometimes, but not often so they are not a noise nuisance. There are some dogs around here that are louder and more irritating. We have them in a welded wire covered area, so predators are not an issue so far either.

The smell is not really an issue with the low number also. Just need to make sure to clean inside the coop where they nest every week of two. Biggest smell issue we had was from the food getting on the ground and getting wet. Made a sour smell that probably would be good for cat fish chum. lol

Hope this helps.

J

Comment

If they aren't in a coop at night and a protected in the daytime you'll get possums, foxes, coyote's, bobcats and owls getting them.

Comment

If they are loose in your yard they will dig dusting holes especially in the shade.

Comment

I live on a corner lot and have two neighbors that I know won’t rat me out but was the wife right about all the other critters they would attract?

Comment

Oh hail......thought this was gonna be an East Texas dating service!

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                If they are loose in your yard they will dig dusting holes especially in the shade.
                Yep, my neighbors wild guinea's eat every bug they can see, but they dig dusting holes in my yard as a reward for eating all my bugs.

Comment

Wow. I can fab a predator proof coop so that’s not a problem. Didn’t think about the ordinances either. Do not like living in the city at all!

Comment

They're not going to attract those critters listed, they already live there, you just don't notice them until they make the chickens squawk or leave a pile of feathers or half eaten carcass for you to find.

Comment

Dang guineas are loud too!

Comment

They do attract snakes and critters. If you let them free range, they’ll **** all over your back porch and dig holes everywhere. Lol. I kept blaming my dog but realized it was the chickens. My wife has a bunch, somewhere around 20. We have a big yard for them to roam, 4+ acres and we lock them up at night. I personally don’t think it’s even worth jacking with to have a few chickens. You’ll probably get 1-2 eggs a day, a stinky back yard with holes, you’ll have to clean crap out of their coop every few days. It’s way easier to pick up a couple dozen eggs at HEB.

Comment

Last edited by mmoses; 05-04-2020, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Dang it ! Fellas I think she was right! Hate it when that happens!

Comment

We have 5 hens and a rooster , they are messy, they scratch out mulch in the flower beds, but I enjoy watching them when they are out . We let them out in the yard in the evening and they scoop up a ton of bugs. Normally they are in their coop and not as much work as our 4 dogs . I do enjoy the eggs , they are much better than what you buy. I have not noticed any more pests but we keep them protected in their area and coop at night, we have hawks in our neighborhood that have not been a problem so far. We have 3 red layer hens and 2 fancy ones , the red layers are far more friendly and we have more eggs than the wife and I can eat. We supply eggs to the neighbors who i am sure our rooster annoys even though they say he does not.

Comment

Working...
                              X