stihl chainsaw question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stihl chainsaw question

i received a Stihl MS170 Chainsaw from some folks that have not used it in 3+ years. i lightly disassembled the case, lightly cleaned intake, exhaust, spark plug gap, bar and chain. added and fuel, bar oil and reassembled. i can get it to idle 50% of the time, but if i get on the throttle it wants to kill over. any input on this unit? or should i keep this unit?
    or...?

Clean carb it should be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Get on amazon and order a new carb for it

Comment

Check the spark screen in the muffler. Pull 2 screws out and take the screen out.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneSouth View Post
          Get on amazon and order a new carb for it
          This.

Comment

Carb.

I got same one from my uncle after sitting for 5+ years. Changed the carb and spark plug and its still going strong.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Was the air filter clean?
              There is a diaphragm inside the carb. That is either stiff from sitting for years or clogged with something.
              A stihl dealer can get you a kit pretty cheap or rebuild it really cheap
              Somewhere I have a post on how to rebuild the carb

Comment

Originally posted by Calrob View Post
                Check the spark screen in the muffler. Pull 2 screws out and take the screen out.

This
                You can clean it with a torch if it isn’t too decomposed.
                Replacement carb should be found for about $30

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Calrob View Post
                  i did take a look at the muffler and spark screen. looks light to moderately used but still in good condition.

Comment

Stihl's are finicky and need fresh fuel. I have found them to run best on Stihl's own brand of packaged fuel and oil called Motomix. They don't run well on fuel older than a month old, low octane fuel, or fuel with Stabil added.

Comment

Originally posted by 100%TtId View Post
                      Stihl's are finicky and need fresh fuel. I have found them to run best on Stihl's own brand of packaged fuel and oil called Motomix. They don't run well on fuel older than a month old, low octane fuel, or fuel with Stabil added.
                      Interesting. This hasn’t been my experience at all. Mine sits for months between uses. Fires up on 2nd or 3rd pull every time.

Comment

Carb. Just purchase a new one online as they are cheap. Install and cut away.

Comment

Originally posted by 100%TtId View Post
                          I have several Stihls...five to be exact...most sit for months on end...two or three pulls and they fire off...any time and every time they are needed. Never heard of motomix.

Comment

Check for bad fuel line, easy fix if it has a pin hole in it it will not run above slow idle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
                              I have several Stihls...five to be exact...most sit for months on end...two or three pulls and they fire off...any time and every time they are needed. Never heard of motomix.
                              My experience as well. I have an 034 I bought in 94 I think...
                              I have let it sit for over a year and never pulled more than 5 times before it fired up. I have always mixed my own 2 cycle gas.
                              Maybe the newer saws are different...

Comment

Working...
                              X