Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2019, 06:31 PM   #1
Tony Pic
Pope & Young
 
Tony Pic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NYS and Texas
Hunt In: The Picarosas North and South, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper
Default Nice suprise on 4 wheeler in barn plus others

So I am up at my NY deer camp in the lower Catskills the last few weeks. Loosening straps on tree stands, having downed limbs cleared, cutting grass and doing maintenance on the property. I go to get on my 4 wheeler in the barn, had my sun glasses on which do not have bifocals. Get on bike to start and go to move choke... and through my sunglasses, it looks like the cables are all swollen on the grip and controls. I take my sunglasses off and almost hit the roof of the barn jumping off the machine.
I knew it was a harmless Milk snake, but it surprised the heck out of me. I played with it a little bit and let him go in the woods. The little bugger rattled his tail and all. Quite aggressive.
Upstate NY is nice...not a sewer like the city. But NOTHING like Texas

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gdcsQC]


While I am up there I always have a hoot shooting unregulated species like woodchucks and porcupines. I shoot'em , tie 'em to a stake in the field and put a trail cam over it. Got some really cool pics. Wish I had hogs to leave out for them to munch on.
KIMG0483 by Tony Pic, on Flickr

Immature Bald Eagle
13572 by Tony Pic, on Flickr

Mature Bald Eagle
IMG_20190529_135529_357(1) by Tony Pic, on Flickr
IMG_2807 by Tony Pic, on Flickr

A Button buck stopping by.
IMG_1631 by Tony Pic, on Flickr

A Healthy Coyote.
13229 by Tony Pic, on Flickr

Turkey Vultures getting their due and proper.
IMG_1269 by Tony Pic, on Flickr
1169 by Tony Pic, on Flickr
Tony Pic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2019, 06:33 PM   #2
SmTx
Pope & Young
 
SmTx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Marcos/Hempstead
Hunt In: Jim Wells
Default

That BE pic is awesome

I only get their cousin the cara cara on trail cam
SmTx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2019, 07:04 PM   #3
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young
 
SaltwaterSlick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

I agree up-state NY is beautiful country AND it's full of genuine rednecks... they just talk SO FUNNY!!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2019, 07:20 PM   #4
Mexico
Pope & Young
 
Mexico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Clear Lake Tx
Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx
Default

First ever NY deer lease pics I've seen on TBH cool stuff!
Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2019, 07:23 PM   #5
dfkoon
Ten Point
 
dfkoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Arlington/Texoma
Hunt In: Brady / Hagermann when lucky
Default

Reminds me of a time I pulled back a boat cover to put a decal on the hull. I turn my head and next to my hand is the body of a snake. I discovered that I can scream like a girl. Probably still had a manly run though.
dfkoon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2019, 07:52 PM   #6
sailor
Pope & Young
 
sailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Texas
Hunt In: Texas
Default

cool pics..……..
love upstate...…..
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2019, 08:04 PM   #7
Texas Grown
Pope & Young
 
Texas Grown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Burleson, Texas
Default

Shoot-n chucks is always fun! I did my share in Ohio back in the late 70s.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2019, 08:37 PM   #8
Thumper
Pope & Young
 
Thumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Magnolia Texas
Default

Well, There's no mice eating the wires on the 4 wheeler.

Awesome pictures. You need to do something about that coyote.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2019, 08:41 PM   #9
be12hunt
Ten Point
 
be12hunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Lake Jackson, TX
Hunt In: Montell, TX
Default

Those are some cool pictures.
be12hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2019, 08:44 PM   #10
TheHammer
Ten Point
 
TheHammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Carthage, TX
Hunt In: Coke Co, Panola Co
Default

Those Eagle pictures are awesome. Thanks for sharing them!
TheHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2019, 08:46 PM   #11
sjaaaz
Eight Point
 
sjaaaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ennis, TX
Hunt In: McCulloch County, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
I agree up-state NY is beautiful country AND it's full of genuine rednecks... they just talk SO FUNNY!!
Yes sir. Some gun loving fools up there. It is a beautiful place for about 2 1/2 months.


@nursejenn never really had the funny talk...but her sister is sometimes hard to understand when she gets rollin'

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
sjaaaz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2019, 08:55 PM   #12
nursejenn
Pope & Young
 
nursejenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Highly Respected Troublemaker
Hunt In: McCulloch County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Pic View Post
So I am up at my NY deer camp in the lower Catskills the last few weeks. Loosening straps on tree stands, having downed limbs cleared, cutting grass and doing maintenance on the property. I go to get on my 4 wheeler in the barn, had my sun glasses on which do not have bifocals. Get on bike to start and go to move choke... and through my sunglasses, it looks like the cables are all swollen on the grip and controls. I take my sunglasses off and almost hit the roof of the barn jumping off the machine.
I knew it was a harmless Milk snake, but it surprised the heck out of me. I played with it a little bit and let him go in the woods. The little bugger rattled his tail and all. Quite aggressive.
Upstate NY is nice...not a sewer like the city. But NOTHING like Texas

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gdcsQC]


While I am up there I always have a hoot shooting unregulated species like woodchucks and porcupines. I shoot'em , tie 'em to a stake in the field and put a trail cam over it. Got some really cool pics. Wish I had hogs to leave out for them to munch on.
KIMG0483 by Tony Pic, on Flickr

Immature Bald Eagle
13572 by Tony Pic, on Flickr

Mature Bald Eagle
IMG_20190529_135529_357(1) by Tony Pic, on Flickr
IMG_2807 by Tony Pic, on Flickr

A Button buck stopping by.
IMG_1631 by Tony Pic, on Flickr

A Healthy Coyote.
13229 by Tony Pic, on Flickr

Turkey Vultures getting their due and proper.
IMG_1269 by Tony Pic, on Flickr
1169 by Tony Pic, on Flickr
Nice! I grew up near Carthage, NY. Definitely miss the scenery up there!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
I agree up-state NY is beautiful country AND it's full of genuine rednecks... they just talk SO FUNNY!!
nursejenn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2019, 09:43 PM   #13
Acameron52
Ten Point
 
Acameron52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Lewisville
Hunt In: Coleman & Loving
Default

I would’ve died.
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2019, 05:36 AM   #14
Tony Pic
Pope & Young
 
Tony Pic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NYS and Texas
Hunt In: The Picarosas North and South, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursejenn View Post
Nice! I grew up near Carthage, NY. Definitely miss the scenery up there!
Carthage! That is almost Canada! Texas is closer
Too bad NY is run by the commie city, some really nice landscape and critters. There is no place like Texas.
I NEED a #5 Whataburger with a large sweet tea...NOW!
Tony Pic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2019, 07:01 AM   #15
Clark
Ten Point
 
Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Collingsworth Co.
Default

Great pics of some nice looking wildlife.
Thanks for sharing.
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2019, 07:10 AM   #16
Puncher51
Ten Point
 
Puncher51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Merkel, Tx
Hunt In: Mason, Callahan, and Stonewall Counties
Default

Looks like an awesome area! Thanks for sharing!
Puncher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2019, 07:15 AM   #17
wsteffen
Ten Point
 
wsteffen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Humble, TX
Hunt In: Jewitt, TX or any where else I can find to go
Default

Your almost a neighbor. We're in the Adirondacks, over looking the Great Sacandaga.
wsteffen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2019, 07:34 AM   #18
CoolArrow
Ten Point
 
CoolArrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Juan, TX
Hunt In: Starr county
Default

Cool pics.
CoolArrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2019, 07:42 AM   #19
BigValley
Four Point
 
BigValley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: North Dallas
Hunt In: Freestone County, Kimble County
Default

Great pics of the Eagle and flags. But I am like Indiana Jones when it comes to snakes...
BigValley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2019, 02:39 PM   #20
ktjones
Six Point
 
ktjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Magnolia, texas
Hunt In: Centerville
Default

great pics, thanks for sharing.
ktjones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2019, 03:37 PM   #21
Cullbuck
Four Point
 
Cullbuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: setx
Hunt In: setx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsteffen View Post
Your almost a neighbor. We're in the Adirondacks, over looking the Great Sacandaga.
Pretty sweet my step father has a lake house on that lake right by the bridge on the edinburg side. Beautiful country but i agree aint no Texas!
Cullbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2019, 04:40 PM   #22
axisbuck24
Pope & Young
 
axisbuck24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Angleton , Texas
Default

I would have punched a hole in the roof of the barn. I love the Eagle pic.
axisbuck24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2019, 09:02 PM   #23
Kdog
Pope & Young
 
Kdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cibolo, TX
Hunt In: Kinney County, TX/Wisconsin/Canada
Default

Good stuff! I don't like surprises like that either.
Kdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2019, 07:12 AM   #24
dustoffer
Pope & Young
 
dustoffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Seguin, Tx
Hunt In: S/Central Tx
Default

I was in NYC last week with granddaughter —and one thing that your sewer comment reminded me of—walking down the sidewalk and the alternating smells of coffee, then garbage then popcorn and hotdogs then garbage again. Seemed to be everywhere we went.
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2019, 07:20 AM   #25
Tony Pic
Pope & Young
 
Tony Pic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NYS and Texas
Hunt In: The Picarosas North and South, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustoffer View Post
I was in NYC last week with granddaughter —and one thing that your sewer comment reminded me of—walking down the sidewalk and the alternating smells of coffee, then garbage then popcorn and hotdogs then garbage again. Seemed to be everywhere we went.
Dang...wish I knew...would have had you up to camp! Only 100 miles from NYC.
Yes, sewer smells everywhere. With that many folks, the crap has to go somewhere
The Catskills are very different than the city, but it ain't no Texas.
Tony Pic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2019, 08:00 AM   #26
basskicker24
Ten Point
 
basskicker24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Guadalupe county/ Kinney county
Default

Really cool pics!
basskicker24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2019, 08:24 AM   #27
Tx_Wader
Ten Point
 
Tx_Wader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: El Campo
Hunt In: Jackson County and Utopia
Default

Nice! Thanks for sharing.
Tx_Wader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com