Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-05-2019, 07:40 AM   #1
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX
Default Fishing etiquette....

It's unbelievable what people will do in the Galveston/Freeport area. Saturday, my son was wade fishing in West Bay, and a group in a boat putted 30 feet in front of him in the direction he was casting. Yesterday, my son and his buddies were hammering the trout in West Bay, and a guy throwing shrimp under a popping cork tried to get between them (they were standing less than 10 feet apart). My son told him to find his own space, and he moved down about 20 feet and began casting across them. He never had a bite, and got mad because my son's group were doing good, so he asked to see their fish, because he thought they were keeping undersized fish (all of their fish were legal). When my son told him to get lost, he called the game warden. My son and his buddies got their limit and left before the warden showed up. I swear, there are people out there just asking for an on-the-water beat down.
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2019, 07:53 AM   #2
TexanTiger
Six Point

Hunt In: SW La.,Liberty Tx, S.Texas,TBH classifieds...

On memorial day I took my dad fishing (he never gets to go anymore) on Toledo Bend ( I had found an awesome spot for the shad spawn) and He reluctantly got up extra early cause I told him we need to be the first to the spot. We get to the spot, not a sole on the lake yet, sit for about 10 minutes in the dark (with our lights on) and we see a boat coming, then slowing, then stopping 20 yards away.... I am thinking to myself just keep your cool dont let these idiots ruin your day...they drift with in 10 yards of us... I am about to say somthing and dad says "hey guys yall just want to get in the boat and fish with us!" haha they looked at us mad we beat them to the spot and putted off... smh some people....we proceeded to boat 50 LMB in about 45 minutes!
TexanTiger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2019, 07:55 AM   #3
Texas Pride
Ten Point

Hunt In: Votaw

Itís nit just fishing. Itís our culture these days. Across all generations(maybe not all) people feel they are entitled or its their rights. As a young man just out of college I still felt I had certain rights, even if it closed in on your rights. Like fishing too close(but I actually never did that). I grew up. Hopefully others will too.
Texas Pride is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2019, 07:58 AM   #4
JonBoy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason, TX; Doss, TX

I'm going fishing with my Dad & Brother this weekend down in Port Isabel. I haven't even left town yet and y'all are getting my blood pressure up
JonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2019, 08:01 AM   #5
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

Happened to me last week, fishing a tiny cove in West Matagorda. Next cove to my west was 1 boat but other than that nobody for several miles... open bay. Dude comes rolling right next to me wide open, 30 yards. Shuts it down, jumps out and starts fishing.... I did 3 donuts around him and left
Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2019, 08:02 AM   #6
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Left lane drivers and bad drivers
Deer blinds on fence lines
poaching
non-courteous fishermen

Seems everyone thinks they are the entitled ones.

It never ends
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2019, 08:04 AM   #7
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

I've fished from Galveston to San Antonio bay over the years and it's everywhere along the coast.

It's soured me in the last few years in fishing to a point.
Slick8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2019, 08:04 AM   #8
Clay C
Ten Point

It's getting bad. No one can just enjoy fishing these days. It's all a competition for who can "limit" and cheesy dead fish on a deck pictures. A lot of boats on the coast are pretty much just a status symbols with too many of those types of people at the helm. They don't care who's day they ruin as long as they can tell their peers they caught fish.
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2019, 08:04 AM   #9
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexico View Post
Happened to me last week, fishing a tiny cove in West Matagorda. Next cove to my west was 1 boat but other than that nobody for several miles... open bay. Dude comes rolling right next to me wide open, 30 yards. Shuts it down, jumps out and starts fishing.... I did 3 donuts around him and left
The thing that makes me mad is thinking/knowing idiots like this 100% think you were the bad guy. He probably started a thread about how rude you were for no reason.

And he had zero clue what he did wrong.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:05 AM   #10
jds247
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper county newton county and sabine county

I use to get riled up over it but try to stay calm now. we fish the rocks on pleasure island a lot in the spring.. we bank fish and boats will troll right where you are casting.They act like they are better than you because they are in a boat. a few years back my youngest was casting and almost hit a guys boat.. the guy mouthed off and it set me off.. I almost has him talked into getting out on the rocks... It really makes em mad when they pot lick and you still catch more fish than them. Most people will pull up fish for 10 min and haul butt to another spot..
jds247 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2019, 08:08 AM   #11
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick8 View Post
I've fished from Galveston to San Antonio bay over the years and it's everywhere along the coast.

It's soured me in the last few years in fishing to a point.
This was me bowfishing a few years ago on Lake Travis. It was fun until 3 nights in a row I had rich old ladies screaming at me and calling LEO's. I heard it all.

At first I took it as a challenge to tick them off relentlessly But then it just got old because it seemed to be a different person or group and it never ended.

The one thing I regret was I never managed to shoot enough carp/gar that I could dispose of properly on some of their docks.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:11 AM   #12
ultrastealth
Ten Point

If I'm catching fish and a guy near me is fishing in a manner that is compatible with what I'm doing, I'll wave him in to join me. I did this last Saturday. I was out in the middle of Christmas Bay in my kayak on a good school of trout, and I called to another kayaker to come join me. He was headed in and declined the invitation. I've receive the same courteousness myself from other fishermen. We were fishing the surf at Surfside Sunday and a guy near us was doing well, while we only had a couple fish. I gave him his space, and, when he decided to move past us, he went behind us to not interfere. I asked him what he was throwing, and he volunteered not just what he was using, but also how he was working it. If you are courteous, I'll let you fish right next to me. If you come barging in, you'll be asked to leave.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:17 AM   #13
kevin nicholls
Ten Point

Hunt In: Who knows

A few years ago I had an incident with 3 guys in East Matagorda bay. I'm catching fish and they rolled right up to me and started casting. I asked them whats up. One guy tells me there's three of them and one of me. So I politely invited them to the bank to discuss this further. I told them to choose wisely who got out of their boat first because I'm only good for one arse whoopin' today. I idled to the bank, they chose to leave. From that day forward I decided I wouldn't let idiots ruin my day fishing. It's your day it ruins, not theirs. I just go find another spot. ( I usually do a couple donuts on my way out though )
kevin nicholls is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2019, 08:20 AM   #14
TA_Fab
Four Point

Monday night I was gigging a shoreline with the girlfriend. I was headed east and a flounder boat just cuts right in front of us and starts heading east also. So I just returned the favor and cranked up, got back in front of them. But eventually just moved to another spot, as I was getting ****** hearing that fan motor all night. Ended up getting on some good flounder at the my 2nd spot as well. Idiots are out there on Mondayís as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TA_Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2019, 08:23 AM   #15
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

It has really soured me on fishing like I used too. Alot of People just have the Me 1st attitude. Hard to go enjoy the day on the water, because of all the times I get upset with the idiots.
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2019, 08:31 AM   #16
El General
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke County

Some people think flare guns are for emergencies. They also serve to really get your point across.
El General is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2019, 08:43 AM   #17
cwill
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet County

Quote:
Originally Posted by el general View Post
some people think flare guns are for emergencies. They also serve to really get your point across.
lol
cwill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2019, 08:59 AM   #18
220swift
Ten Point

Hunt In: South, East, and Central Texas

Seen a lot of that behavior in Rockport and Baffin. Unfortunately, many times it is a GUIDE doing it.
220swift is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2019, 09:02 AM   #19
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanTiger View Post
On memorial day I took my dad fishing (he never gets to go anymore) on Toledo Bend ( I had found an awesome spot for the shad spawn) and He reluctantly got up extra early cause I told him we need to be the first to the spot. We get to the spot, not a sole on the lake yet, sit for about 10 minutes in the dark (with our lights on) and we see a boat coming, then slowing, then stopping 20 yards away.... I am thinking to myself just keep your cool dont let these idiots ruin your day...they drift with in 10 yards of us... I am about to say somthing and dad says "hey guys yall just want to get in the boat and fish with us!" haha they looked at us mad we beat them to the spot and putted off... smh some people....we proceeded to boat 50 LMB in about 45 minutes!
You've got an awesome dad!
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2019, 09:09 AM   #20
bloodstick
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas

I had two instances with rude and inconsiderate fisherman.

Both were in Louisiana. First was me and my Father In Law that drove down from Huntsville to fish the trout spawn in early fall in Vermillion Bay. Straight out the canal from the launch is some rocks on the left called "the cove". Its a popular spot for trout when they are in and some days, you could walk across the boats and everybody is catching near limits of good size trout. Not this day. There were lots of boats but not alot of catching. We found a good school using live shrimp under popping cork. The spot is literally 5 feet across. Outside of that circle, we were not getting bit and it was an every cast type of situation.
A loud mouth teen using his daddy's boat he bought with oil money pulls up within flipping distance of our hole. I don't mind sharing, but the bite instantly cut off when he pulled up. Some words were exchanged and i threatened to teach him what his dad forgot to. he finally left and i let a considerate kayaker in on what we were doing. bite turned back on and we both caught limits.

Other time was winter. Water was coming out of a back lake over water control structure into a canal. Reds were stacked on bottom feeding in the current from the warmer water coming out of the back lake. Three of us in the boat catching reds when a bass boat pulls up and starts casting over our lines into the hole.
The captain of our boat tied a 1 oz weight on his braided line and cast over his. Turns out braid cuts mono pretty good when you yank it across like a hook set. I can't stand inconsiderate "richard craniums" out on the water.
bloodstick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2019, 10:15 AM   #21
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton

A couple of years ago during the week I was drifting a spotty bottom in port Mansfield and was tearing up the trout when a local guide, comes and idols in and positions right in my drift, so close I could bounce a jig off his boat , so I fired up and got about 200 yards in front of him and continued to tearing up the trout , so he repeated his deal of pulling around me again about 20-30 yards in front of my drift, we had a very heated discussion about his choice ways to find fish , after that I just fired up and ran about 1 1/2 miles back to the top of the bar
And really enjoyed the rest of the morning,
I guess I got the last laugh by removing him from the guide rotation for our weekend club members, he was none to happy that Saturday when i told him that we didn’t book pot lickers ( this wasn’t the first problem or the last with him “ he used extreme profanity, and sometimes drank our clients beer and was a bad example for our clients with children “)

People get real possessive about “ their bay , their deer , their duck blind “ I am no saint and have been on both sides of a argument,

Nothing is worse than to be 20 miles offshore and be on some hot structures and have a boat buzz you and MOB your gps #’s then come back to find a party boat,camped out there

Last edited by pilar; 06-05-2019 at 10:40 AM.
pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2019, 10:36 AM   #22
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilar View Post
A couple of years ago during the week I was drifting a spotty bottom in port Mansfield and was tearing up the trout when a local guide, comes and idols in and positions right in my drift, so close I could bounce a jig off his boat , so I fired up and got about 200 yards in front of him and continued to tearing up the trout , so he repeated his deal of pulling around me again about 20-30 yards in front of my drift, we had a very heated discussion about his choice ways to find fish , after that I just fired up and ran about 1 1/2 miles back to the top of the bar
And really enjoyed the rest of the morning,
I guess I got the last laugh by removing him from the guide rotation for our weekend club members, he was none to happy that Saturday when i told him that we didnít book pot lickers ( this wasnít the first problem or the last with him ď he used extreme profanity, and sometimes drank our clients beer and was a bad example for our clients with children ď)

People get real possessive about ď their bay , their deer , their duck blind ď I am no saint and have been on both sides of a argument,
What's his name, so I don't make the mistake of hiring him?
Old 06-05-2019, 10:41 AM   #23
stickman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swift View Post
Seen a lot of that behavior in Rockport and Baffin. Unfortunately, many times it is a GUIDE doing it.
Pretty accurate statement here. When I have customers on my boat I donít dare enter into a situation where I might be engaged in any kind of pissing match. I have had plenty of boats come up on me, well within 50 yards. I just reelíem up and move on to another area. Itís frustrating, but thatís what we deal with now. If we are wading and someone buzzes us or stops on tops of us thatís a different story.
stickman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2019, 10:51 AM   #24
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

I usually just let it roll off as someone that has not been taught correctly by whoever turned them on. I was fishing a mud line one day and was killing them of a mid bay reef. I had a guide get behind me on the drift which I was fine with. drift ran out and I cranked up to go back again. He did the same but cut in front of me by 50 yards. Again no big deal. Until he sticks down both power poles and I'm right on him in about a minute. It was just enough time to switch rods and put a skitterwalk in the fabric of his T-top. Oh well I'm drifting right his way anyway Ill just get it out. After I tried to yank it out a few times he started yellinging I was damaging his top. Got next to him to get my lure. I wasn't going to say anything because he had clients. I was able to retrieve my $7 skitterwalk and he called me an idiot. - I stopped turned and looked and just said- who is the idiot cutting someones drift and locking down the pole. I think he was going to smart off but decided against it. I have seen him often at the ramps for several years and he has never said a word. I keep thinking one day he will smart off in front of his buddies and my reaction will depend if I have popped smoke and retired or not.
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2019, 11:09 AM   #25
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrastealth View Post
What's his name, so I don't make the mistake of hiring him?
He is no longer in the business ď he died of a heart attack while ď trespassing with a gun ď on the king ranch he was a real piece of ď uh work ď
pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2019, 11:24 AM   #26
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Medina Counties

I used to get real upset but it's the norm now. I just started fishing spots that aren't as popular. I get out real early to beat the crowds, and try to limit my fishing to week days. It's just too crowded now.
panhandlehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2019, 11:45 AM   #27
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Open to Offers

I can't stand it when a bunch of boats are fishing around a school of whites then some Yahoo that can't get a bite tries to troll throw the middle of us. Heck, I'll give you the bait they are biting on if you'll not mess it up for the rest of us.
Hoggslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2019, 11:55 AM   #28
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

No such thing as common courtesy anymore.
Fordnandez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2019, 11:59 AM   #29
Snowflake Killa
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

I've never had any problems on the lakes or bays.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2019, 12:10 PM   #30
eaglegolfj
Ten Point

There is no class with people anymore.
eaglegolfj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2019, 12:26 PM   #31
seeing reds
Eight Point

Hunt In: Goliad

I was fishing near hog island years ago and was on some fish. Guy pulled in about 10 yards from me...I tossed my lure on the deck of his boat a "few" times as he was dropping anchor, thinking he might get the hint.

He finally asked me what I was doing, and i simply said "lots of water here buddy"....

He wasnt happy, but pulled up anchor and drifted off a little ways...
seeing reds is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2019, 12:42 PM   #32
chief262
Ten Point

Hunt In: Evant- In Camp

Had a guide boat yesterday come by us crappie fishing wide open less than 100 feet on Richland Chambers. Swamped and hung up all our lines. Glad our bow was pointed into the wake! After thinking about the scenario he was probably trying to lose 4 other boats that were following him at our expense. Led them into a bunch of timber then hauled it out.
chief262 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2019, 01:02 PM   #33
friscopaint
Ten Point

Nothing new, been happening for as long as I've been fishing. That being said, I drive in the left lane and love hunting fence lines
friscopaint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2019, 01:07 PM   #34
rut-ro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

I got to my spot the other day an there was another guy near me. He got in his boat and did about 3 big circles around me. What a jerk. J/K lol
rut-ro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2019, 01:07 PM   #35
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
I've never had any problems on the lakes or bays.

did someone do donuts around you last week?

Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2019, 01:22 PM   #36
Calfroper81
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hempstead & Mexia

I thought you did those 3 big circles around me to try and get up on plane.
Calfroper81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2019, 01:25 PM   #37
Hoss163
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

That bent pole pattern is the best pattern there is just set back with a cooler of beer watch with binoculars to see who is catching the most fish and run over there right beside them and start catching some fish 😜😂🤣
Hoss163 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2019, 01:43 PM   #38
jds247
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper county newton county and sabine county

They really dont like it when they come flying in to pot lick you only to find out the birds that you are fishing are eating cheetos and your standing on your lure acting like you're fighting fish..
jds247 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2019, 01:49 PM   #39
ace340cs
Ten Point

Hunt In: Use to in Mexico, South Texas

Just keep calm!!! happens everywhere !!!
ace340cs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2019, 01:55 PM   #40
xman59
Pope & Young

fishing with my dad at Pleasure island form the sail boat wall,, we were having a good day and man and his kid showed up,, wrong gear wrong bait so they caught nothing while we continued to do well. they moved closer too us twice until they could throw over my dad's line,, dad said something about it twice and they jerk said " nothing you can do about it old man"

dad still smoked cigars back then and simply reached up and touched his mono with his cigar 5 times before he caught on as to why his line "kept breaking" .... man jumped up and started toward my dad at which time I simply told him to sit down because he was about to get seriously hurt if he even attempted to touch my dad ... so he comes after me instead and I simply asked him if he really wanted some other man raising his kid, because he was not going to be around....
xman59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2019, 02:02 PM   #41
elliscountyhog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: WG Outdoors on Facebook

Yup and I dont have the patience to deal with them. I make it known real fast they can move on.
elliscountyhog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2019, 02:07 PM   #42
droebuck
Eight Point

Hunt In: Menard County

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds247 View Post
They really dont like it when they come flying in to pot lick you only to find out the birds that you are fishing are eating cheetos and your standing on your lure acting like you're fighting fish..
Now this is funny right here. Going to have to bring some extra saltines next time.
droebuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2019, 02:16 PM   #43
Snowflake Killa
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss163 View Post
That bent pole pattern is the best pattern there is just set back with a cooler of beer watch with binoculars to see who is catching the most fish and run over there right beside them and start catching some fish
That's what I'm saying

Old 06-05-2019, 02:22 PM   #44
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

If your sons group was all legal they should have kept fishing and wait for the Game Warden. Once the game warden checked everything I would ask/tell the game warden I want to file an official complaint for sportsman harassment. Turn the table on the Jack Wagon
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2019, 02:42 PM   #45
DTala
Ten Point

We were fishing off the end of a pier near Destin Fl one time and a 30 for boat trolled across several folks lines, right by the pier. He got yelled at a lot but turned around to do it again. One of the guys on the pier tied on a big pyramid sinked and flung it THRU his nice fiberglass hull. He didn't come back by again.

Saw a 18 er so old kid stealing stuff off others gear at the same pier, old man slung his butt off the end of the pier into the water. He didn't come back.

Many, many years ago my grandad and a friend were fishing in a smallish wooden boat on a local river and a couple of yahoos(era correct name) came in and ran close circles around them, almost swamping them. Grandad pulled out his 1911 .45 and ventilated their boat several times before they hauled butt out of there. An old man will just kill you....
DTala is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2019, 02:57 PM   #46
Snowflake Killa
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
did someone do donuts around you last week?

That's all we did.

Old 06-05-2019, 03:01 PM   #47
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Heck I can't even catch a perch in my pond without the wife and kids casting their Zebco's all around me. I feel your pain.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2019, 03:05 PM   #48
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
If your sons group was all legal they should have kept fishing and wait for the Game Warden. Once the game warden checked everything I would ask/tell the game warden I want to file an official complaint for sportsman harassment. Turn the table on the Jack Wagon

They already caught their limit. No sense in staying for that nut kick. Harassment would be almost impossible to prove in that instance.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2019, 03:07 PM   #49
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by droebuck View Post
Now this is funny right here. Going to have to bring some extra saltines next time.
I guy that I know used to run all over East Galveston Bay with a bottle of Wesson Oil making slicks. Said it really kept the vultures off of him.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:10 PM   #50
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Medina Counties

Fritos works wonders. Plenty of oil to induce slicks, and will get the seagulls working. They are a staple of my October fishing.
panhandlehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top