Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-04-2019, 06:29 PM   #101
Maxlab
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jimwells/Gonzalez

Quote:
Originally Posted by eradicator View Post
Right, but their raise every year is typically less than the increase in insurance cost.....you didn't answer the question? Does your district receive or donate compensation? And they will start at $55K and finish at $65k after working more years due to the 'number' being increased over the years. And TRS is being compromised. We could go on and on....I'm in agreement that teachers had a decision in their choice of career but things have changed drastically for a lot of folks since they started, and not for the better.
Most of Americaís workforce raises every year, is typically less than the insurance increase and cost of living. Welcome to the club, know stop complaining.
Maxlab is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2019, 06:37 PM   #102
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxlab View Post
Most of Americaís workforce raises every year, is typically less than the insurance increase and cost of living. Welcome to the club, know stop complaining.
Pay the teachers
SmTx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2019, 06:42 PM   #103
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxlab View Post
I'm not a teacher. You do realize that education is probably way more important than any other single career right? Especially since parents these days are incompetent

this explains a lot......
eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2019, 06:48 PM   #104
BDann
Six Point

Hunt In: Kansas, all over Texas

Nope. Property taxes are way too high, and Iím sick of paying for big administration salaries and giant stadiums. Get the spending under control then we can talk, but until then Iíll vote against it every time.
BDann is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2019, 07:24 PM   #105
Raleigh
Ten Point

I vote yes to raise our teachers income thru taxes.

I am not a teacher nor sleep with one.
There is so much color commentary I could give but I am answering the question as it was put.
Raleigh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2019, 07:39 PM   #106
Roscoe
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coryell County

Yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2019, 08:04 PM   #107
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, ,Menard Counties

No! Hell no!
M16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2019, 08:05 PM   #108
CoolHandLuke
Ten Point

Hunt In: Del Rio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDann View Post
Nope. Property taxes are way too high, and Iím sick of paying for big administration salaries and giant stadiums. Get the spending under control then we can talk, but until then Iíll vote against it every time.

CoolHandLuke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2019, 08:08 PM   #109
doghouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

I have 8 teachers in my extended family. Never heard one of them complain about their wages. I'm sure they would take it but money is not why they teach. Carry on city folks!
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2019, 08:12 PM   #110
Sackett
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

Why do we have to have an increase in property tax to fund teacher salary increases? There's plenty of wasteful spending that can be removed to fund it if the people in positions to perform would do so.
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2019, 10:12 PM   #111
Briar Friar
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Gabriel, Colorado and Rio Grande watersheds

Burnadell....yes. Increase taxes. Increase pay and increase competition for limited openings. Cream rises. Dont just expect but entice better teachers for our children.

Public school teachers are an extremely undervalued asset to our social fabric.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2019, 10:23 PM   #112
kyle1974
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McMullen / Refugio

kind of funny. there's a state wide debate going on right now over teachers getting about a 5% raise, but anytime there's a bond for a new football stadium it usually passes through without a hitch. east texas was the worst I've ever seen. 10-20 million dollar football stadiums at 3A and 4A schools, and the teachers were being paid state base. great priorities.
kyle1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2019, 07:05 AM   #113
Huggybear
Ten Point

Short answer is NO!
Huggybear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2019, 07:22 AM   #114
kyle1974
Pope & Young

I think an answer is why teachers complain about pay after theyíve been teaching is not because they didnít understand the pay schedule. Itís that they underestimated the level is BS they have to put up with.

What about Houston fire fighters? Did they not understand the pay schedule? I donít see why this complaining is often aimed at teachers and not police of fire fighters. Everyone always knows the pay before they take a job.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:52 AM   #115
RJH1
Ten Point

I am going with no. Private schools and home schools consistently outperform public schools with considerably less money for everyone involved. Public schools already get way too much money from the taxpayer, so restructure/reallocate until their performance equals private schools, and when it does then maybe the taxpayer should consider putting more money into that pit. The money is there, it is just being misspent
RJH1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2019, 08:12 AM   #116
rvd
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

I'm in favor of teachers getting raises and not in favor of raising property taxes. The school finance system is in need of a complete overhaul, the way it sits now there is no way it can sustain a $5,000 raise for every teacher. If a correction to the system is not a part of the raise being discussed this session, then the raise does not need to happen, will be a train wreck if it does.
rvd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2019, 08:48 AM   #117
Chad C
Pope & Young

Every district is different and economics come into play, it would have to be a state level fund, IMHO.

Half of my wife's district funds come from Property Taxes at $102,131,790 +/- some change (Property Value Estimates of $10,254,161,814, Tax rate to fund 1.04000 with an estimated attendance of 22,098 students. The other half comes from Other Local Revenue, (State Program Revenue 90 million) and Other Resources. This needs to be on the state.

Last edited by Chad C; 04-05-2019 at 09:02 AM.
Chad C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2019, 08:58 AM   #118
kyle1974
Pope & Young

don't worry everyone. Funds from the state lottery will go to education.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:41 AM   #119
junior
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bell,Williamson,San Saba Counties

My property taxes are going up almost $20,000, this year, and go up every year, might as well give us a raise cause taxes are going up regardless. Both my wife and I work for our school district.
junior is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2019, 12:05 PM   #120
Coastal Ducks
Eight Point

I haven't read the whole thread and I'm probably not going to so if this has already been pointed out I apologize.

So the question is, would I support a tax increase to cover a raise for teachers.

My point is that you get a tax increase dang near every year. The property tax percentage may stay the same but your property values increase and so the amount you are paying in taxes increases. Follow me? So the problem is that school districts don't keep up with those annual teacher raises closely enough to where you keep up with the cost of living. More dollars come in as a result of property values increasing but that money is not budgeted towards actually keeping the salary scale caught up to the rising cost of living. So then every 20 years or so the state has to step in and make a bigger adjustment. This isn't the first time for this.

So, should property tax rates increase to cover a raise for teachers? No. They should not. Should annual raises given to teachers keep up with the cost of living so we don't end up where we are now? Yes, absolutely. Small incremental adjustments are much easier to swallow. I think over the last 20 years if teacher raises had gone up at the same rate as property values and therefore taxes collected we wouldn't be having this discussion.
Coastal Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2019, 12:08 PM   #121
Coastal Ducks
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH1 View Post
I am going with no. Private schools and home schools consistently outperform public schools with considerably less money for everyone involved. Public schools already get way too much money from the taxpayer, so restructure/reallocate until their performance equals private schools, and when it does then maybe the taxpayer should consider putting more money into that pit. The money is there, it is just being misspent
Apples to oranges. They don't have to play by the same rules and don't have to accept all kids.
Coastal Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2019, 12:13 PM   #122
Buck Shot
Eight Point

Hunt In: Freestone County

No on an increase. Start cutting fat. When you think you have, look again and cut some more. Then and only then would I consider it.
Buck Shot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2019, 12:27 PM   #123
OldRiverRat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Navarro County

no to raises. my wife is a teacher and $5k isn't going to do anything to fix the mess called public education. privatize it and the cost per kid will go down, teachers would earn more money and the quality of education would dramatically improve. Public school is just another example why govt shouldn't be running anything.
OldRiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2019, 12:31 PM   #124
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

My whole point was that I don't think most people understand how public school teachers are paid...from property taxes. I was curious to see who supports teacher raises and if they have previously been complaining in the multiple threads about increasing property taxes. Supporting the raises while not wanting property taxes to increase is contradictory. Local taxes pay the salaries.

To think that most school districts can fund those raises from cutting expenses is naive at best and those that believe it most likely have never had to manage a budget of that size and complexity. The largest percentage of school district expenses are salaries! The raises are not a one-time expenditure. They are annual expenditures and have to come from somewhere. That somewhere is property taxes.

Almost everybody thinks school administrators make too much money. Pflugerville has over $300 million in revenues, 30 campuses, and 25,300 students...projected to increase to 28,000 in 5 years. Folks, that is a sizable business, and CEO's of private businesses of that size will be making high 6 to over 7 figures in salary. I contend that MOST administrators are not overpaid, but it is popular to complain about it.

For what it is worth, cehorn, Pflugerville ISD has not raised their tax rate in 5 years and actually lowered it this year.
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2019, 01:08 PM   #125
RJH1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
Apples to oranges. They don't have to play by the same rules and don't have to accept all kids.
So change the rules. No since throwing money at a problem and expect things to change, that hasn't worked and will continue to not work. If the system doesn't work correctly, (and most would agree that it doesn't) fix the system instead of reinforcing a broken one
Old 04-05-2019, 01:21 PM   #126
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH1 View Post
So change the rules. No since throwing money at a problem and expect things to change, that hasn't worked and will continue to not work. If the system doesn't work correctly, (and most would agree that it doesn't) fix the system instead of reinforcing a broken one
Exactly. The government is incapable of running anything well. The education system is just like Detroit, California, Venezuela, etc.... All run by big government bureaucrats. Their only answer to fixing everything they screw up is to tax people more and dump more money into the failed system. It never fixes anything. The amount of tax money being paid into the system isn't the cause of the problems. The government system is the problem. Get the government out of education, and it will be better for all involved, teachers included.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2019, 01:40 PM   #127
∆theling
Pope & Young

This is a great example of why I love teaching. Adults are annoying.
∆theling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2019, 01:54 PM   #128
∆theling
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Exactly. The government is incapable of running anything well. The education system is just like Detroit, California, Venezuela, etc.... All run by big government bureaucrats. Their only answer to fixing everything they screw up is to tax people more and dump more money into the failed system. It never fixes anything. The amount of tax money being paid into the system isn't the cause of the problems. The government system is the problem. Get the government out of education, and it will be better for all involved, teachers included.
True but who will run the military, prisons, LE, Fire and EMS? Will the free market set up schools in the ghetto? No, they won't as there will be no profit. I hate the govt more than most but pure capitalism is just as evil as pure govt control. Sending children down a mine shaft comes to mind.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:22 PM   #129
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

https://medium.com/@mattmargolis/do-...s-ae97079eb724
oktx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2019, 02:24 PM   #130
oktx
Pope & Young

Those who are whining about higher taxes need to get a better job so you can afford them. 😂
Old 04-05-2019, 02:25 PM   #131
∆theling
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktx View Post
Those who are whining about higher taxes need to get a better job so you can afford them. 😂
Good one!
Old 04-05-2019, 02:48 PM   #132
Chad C
Pope & Young

Quote:
Those who are whining about higher taxes need to get a better job so you can afford them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Chad C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2019, 02:51 PM   #133
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam

Quote:
I have managed to stay out of this thread until now but that one is greatness!
AgHntr10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2019, 02:57 PM   #134
HC Sniper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fisher county

X1000. Best yet
HC Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2019, 03:04 PM   #135
Rick
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction

raises should be based on performance, but it obviously does not work like that in state or federal jobs
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2019, 03:09 PM   #136
Rick
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction

Quote:
Originally Posted by etxag7 View Post
If kids can't read by the time they graduate I don't think it's the teacher's fault. Ö...
How did the kids advance grades?

I know this is not the point of the thread...but that statement amazed me.....lol
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2019, 03:11 PM   #137
RJH1
Ten Point

Quote:
Screw that, welfare for me :-)
Old 04-05-2019, 03:44 PM   #138
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post

I know this is not the point of the thread...but that statement amazed me.....lol
You can basically only hold them back one time in elementary, not sure about middle or high school. Teachers are told in a lot of places, no failing grades on report cards.
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2019, 03:47 PM   #139
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

Quote:

This is an easy one. In my HS you just had to be a big enough jackass the teacher didn't want to have to deal with you 2 years in a row
SmTx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2019, 04:52 PM   #140
BuckSmasher
Ten Point

Hunt In: All Over

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslinger View Post
You can basically only hold them back one time in elementary, not sure about middle or high school. Teachers are told in a lot of places, no failing grades on report cards.
This is unfortunately true. I found out that kids were being allowed to graduate without knowing how to read simultaneous to learning about how hard it is to fail them.

Let me explain. I have a college friend that is a teacher. One night she is regaling us with stories from her school and drops the following onto us.

After career day, the students were told to write down their goals. Instructions were given to be specific; write down where you wanted to go to college, what you intended to major in, etc in order to reach your desired profession. A student walked to the back of the class and handed in her assignment. It said that she wanted to be a doctor, and attend "Race" University to get there. My friend asked what she meant by "Race" University? The student replied "Rice" University. My friend told her that "Rice" is spelled with an "I" not an "A". This was a junior in HS. One that hoped to get into Rice, one of the most academically rigorous institutions in the country, but didn't even know how to spell it. This was not in a developmentally challenged classroom and the student was a native speaker of English.

We asked why she didn't fail her? It is because of what Mudslinger said. You can only fail so many. She said she had to fail her quota with people that didn't take the test, didn't show up etc. She couldn't fail anymore students.

I am 100% against a pay raise to teachers as a means of improving our education system. It is in such shambles giving a teacher a $400 a month raise isn't going to fix it. Pay should increase every year on par with inflation. Paying teachers a higher actual wage instead of an inflation adjusted one will only increase property tax with no net benefit to the student unless we have serious reform.
BuckSmasher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2019, 06:05 PM   #141
dbaio1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bienville and Jackson Parish Louisiana - Union Community area

Why not just deal with illegal immigration and stop all.the free loading of American tax payers. Lack of having to foot the bill
for illegals is more than enough to compensate teachers.and then some.
dbaio1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2019, 07:39 PM   #142
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

I put this on the other thread I started and I am going to put it here:

I will tell you this, I did not look at salaries in 1975 when I wanted to coach. Started at a base pay rate of $8600 per year and $50 per month for driving a bus with 80 screaming kids every morning and $1500 coaching stipend. My 3rd and last year to coach/teach at a salary of the bus/stipend and that salary with another coach keeping count of the time we were at school, at a game or whatever that had to do with our kids, WE averaged .52 cents per hour for that year!

I left after 3 years for the private sector and got back into the teaching field as a Teaching Assistant/Para Professional in Dec of 2102. got my Elementary Certificate in the summer of 2015, could not even get an interview being 63/64, got my Special Ed certification in the summer of 2016 and got hired as the SEBSS teacher at Ramirez Elementary in Lubbock. Taught there until last year when I was transferred to Wester Elementary to start a new program at the school for ED kids. Next year will be my last, but I would still like a raise.

AND, I still challenge anyone to come and stand and work in my shoes for a week and tell me we have enough pay for what we do. I challenge you!!!!!!!!! My salary is slightly over $45,000 per year, but as most teachers have said, I spend a lot of money out of my own pocket for these kids.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:50 PM   #143
Hunter58
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Or maybe the teachers are the ones who need to get better jobs
Hunter58 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2019, 08:30 PM   #144
oktx
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter58 View Post
Or maybe the teachers are the ones who need to get better jobs
I guess it went WAAAY over your head....😂😂😂😂😂
Old 04-05-2019, 08:55 PM   #145
BuckSmasher
Ten Point

Hunt In: All Over

Quote:

I will tell you this, I did not look at salaries in 1975 when I wanted to coach. Started at a base pay rate of $8600 per year and $50 per month for driving a bus with 80 screaming kids every morning and $1500 coaching stipend. My 3rd and last year to coach/teach at a salary of the bus/stipend and that salary with another coach keeping count of the time we were at school, at a game or whatever that had to do with our kids, WE averaged .52 cents per hour for that year!

I left after 3 years for the private sector and got back into the teaching field as a Teaching Assistant/Para Professional in Dec of 2102. got my Elementary Certificate in the summer of 2015, could not even get an interview being 63/64, got my Special Ed certification in the summer of 2016 and got hired as the SEBSS teacher at Ramirez Elementary in Lubbock. Taught there until last year when I was transferred to Wester Elementary to start a new program at the school for ED kids. Next year will be my last, but I would still like a raise.

AND, I still challenge anyone to come and stand and work in my shoes for a week and tell me we have enough pay for what we do. I challenge you!!!!!!!!! My salary is slightly over $45,000 per year, but as most teachers have said, I spend a lot of money out of my own pocket for these kids.
If this thread was a class, I'd give you an A++ for self pity.

They say the kids are the whiny ones! Ol'man showin'em how its done!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited by BuckSmasher; 04-05-2019 at 09:04 PM.
BuckSmasher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2019, 09:20 PM   #146
aggieman08
Eight Point

Quote:

I call bull on making $0.52 an hour.

$8600 + $1500 + (9 months X $50) = $10,550. $10,550 / $0.52 = 20,288.46 hours.

There are only 8,760 hours in a normal year and 8,784 in a leap year.

You aren’t a math teacher are you?

Last edited by aggieman08; 04-05-2019 at 09:26 PM.
aggieman08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2019, 09:25 PM   #147
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieman08 View Post
I call bull on making $0.52 an hour.

$8600 + $1500 + (9 months X $50) = $10,550. $10,550 / $0.52 = 20,288.46 hours.

There are only 8,760 hours in a normal year and 8,784 in a leap year.

Your arenít a math teacher are you?
And you are a smart *** arenít you!

I did not check his math, just what I was told but at that time I really did not care what I made, I at the time loved what I did!
Old 04-05-2019, 09:29 PM   #148
aggieman08
Eight Point

Smile

Quote:
And you are a smart *** arenít you!

I did not check his math, just what I was told but at that time I really did not care what I made, I at the time loved what I did!
Just trying to help you not tell anyone else that.
aggieman08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2019, 09:37 PM   #149
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieman08 View Post
Just trying to help you not tell anyone else that.
Thanks and I see your point. Still not a great pay per hour though.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:49 PM   #150
dhays
Ten Point

Hunt In: Smith County
Talking

I thought the lottery was going to teacher pay raises. My wife has taught for 35 years. She loves the kids, and loves her job, but pay is too low, and insurance is too high.
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top