Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-07-2019, 09:54 AM   #101
DTala
Ten Point

70 year old friend of mine was fishing up on a shallow flat off Marathon in the Keys when two jet skis decided to run doughnuts around them. He threw a live crab across one of the jet skis and the line went across the drivers neck causing him to fall off. He got up and walked over to the boat , threatening to whip my friends butt. Dennis, on the poling platform jabbed the guy in the chest with the pointy end of the pole and told him to leave before he got hurt bad. He left, and didn't return. Idiots are everywhere.
DTala is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2019, 09:59 AM   #102
Still Hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tex, Kansas, Colorado, New Mexico

Went to Reimers on the Pedernales to catch some white bass in my Kayak. Its a thin strip of water and you need to try to be as quite and courteous as possible. Always try to make sure that your are not crossing in front of other fishermen or disturbing their fish. Had an gentlemen in his late fifties show up with his two grand kids in a small boat. They drove right thru everyone. I was anchored up just off the main channel on the deep side of the river bed and he comes over and drops his anchor in front of me no less than 20 yards and the whole time literally screaming at his kids probably around 12 & 8. . IF I ever hear " DO YOU WANT A SANDWICH" screamed for the 42nd time again I will lose it. Kids were miserable. I pulled my anchor and headed to another spot further upstream, probably 1/4 mile or so. As soon as I got set up and caught another fish, here he came again. Almost swamped me, set up 30 yards away. I pulled anchor and just left. Can't fix stupid.
Still Hunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2019, 10:06 AM   #103
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever the wind takes me......

I have always found that a big weight that accidentally snaps off the line when casting seems to make rude people give you more space.
bowhuntertex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2019, 10:10 AM   #104
hog_down
Ten Point

Some of these stories are incredible...
hog_down is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2019, 10:28 AM   #105
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bastrop Bosque Freestone Grayson Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

You should be on a lake when one of those new high school bass tournaments is going on, the most un-courteous not to mention dangerous boating I've ever seen.
bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2019, 10:41 AM   #106
TxSon1836
Four Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma- Public

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeterboud View Post
I think the poor etiquette is a product of a sense of entitlement, our changing culture due to the beginning of overcrowding, and 'why not me, everyone else does it'. it a shame. I've been wadefishing exclusively for speckled trout over 30 years, and get to fish 80-120 days per year... up until jan 1 or 2018, I released every trout that I thought had any chance of surviving....I brought enough home that were tore up from trebles to have all the fish we could ever eat.... last few years I got so exhausted from the crowds(I only fish during the week), poor etiquette, and having to listen to everyone's radios out on the water I started filleting every fish I caught.. the 1st few 27-31" trout I filleted made me sick to my stomach, and I had a hard time sleeping for a few nights.. now I don't want to leave any for the masses.. I know it's not right, but I just can't release a big trout for some **** to catch later, out of a boat he financed for 20 years, or his dad's, knowing he never learned how to find a fish on his own, and only throws croakers. then shows his catch off on some social media page and tells his coworkers he caught them on topwaters...... yeah, I know way too many youngsters like that....

I miss the days when I could land 6-8 27+" trout per year in east matty, another 10 or so from Baffin.... those days will never return

all I can say is wow..... did you read what you wrote before you posted?
TxSon1836 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2019, 10:47 AM   #107
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Quote:
I think the poor etiquette is a product of a sense of entitlement, our changing culture due to the beginning of overcrowding, and 'why not me, everyone else does it'. it a shame. I've been wadefishing exclusively for speckled trout over 30 years, and get to fish 80-120 days per year... up until jan 1 or 2018, I released every trout that I thought had any chance of surviving....I brought enough home that were tore up from trebles to have all the fish we could ever eat.... last few years I got so exhausted from the crowds(I only fish during the week), poor etiquette, and having to listen to everyone's radios out on the water I started filleting every fish I caught.. the 1st few 27-31" trout I filleted made me sick to my stomach, and I had a hard time sleeping for a few nights.. now I don't want to leave any for the masses.. I know it's not right, but I just can't release a big trout for some **** to catch later, out of a boat he financed for 20 years, or his dad's, knowing he never learned how to find a fish on his own, and only throws croakers. then shows his catch off on some social media page and tells his coworkers he caught them on topwaters...... yeah, I know way too many youngsters like that....

I miss the days when I could land 6-8 27+" trout per year in east matty, another 10 or so from Baffin.... those days will never return
Hypocrisy at its finest. This might just be one of the most self indulging post ever.
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2019, 10:48 AM   #108
Outback
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano primarily

My buddy and I were fishing offshore at a rig. Not another boat in sight which is not surprising as we were several miles offshore and there are literally hundreds of places you could fish. We weren't catching any fish when lo and behold this big boat rolls up. Immediately I am irritated. They go up current and the next thing you know a bunch of divers jump in the water. I'm really angry now and hoping I can hook one of those Rascals and land him. We are down current of the rig and catching nothing when all of a sudden we start hooking up. Within a few minutes we have a limit of snapper and an assortment of other fish. Turns out those divers push the fish out from the rig and into our baits.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Outback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2019, 10:50 AM   #109
chase15
Eight Point

Quote:

Thats the dumbest ***** i ever read
chase15 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2019, 10:52 AM   #110
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulldraw_529 View Post
Those dang youngsters getting out and enjoying a day on the water and catching fish how they want to, shame on them. That's just terrible. If they can't catch a fish like you do they don't deserve anything you get to enjoy.

Seriously though, what does it matter to you how they catch a fish or post on social media? Is your life that bad that things like that eat you up? I've been fishing for many years and catch fish with lures, live bait, cut bait, on a fly rod...whatever I'm feeling that day. And at the end of the day I dont give a rat's azz what someone thinks of it. I'm enjoying a day on the water in my boat that is non of your business how I obtained.

My boys are 10, 7, and 4. They haven't exactly mastered the lure strategy yet. I dont hesitate to let them soak a little live bait if it means they have a huge smile on their faces at the end of the day, and I really dont care what you think about that.

Point is, to each their own how they go and catch a fish. This thread was about the negative attitudes towards others out on the water, and after reading your post, sounds like it's about you.

Who cares how someone catches a fish, theres more than one way to do it, your way ain't the only way, get over it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
But the important question is this...did you finance your boat for longer than the high and mighty financial advisers on social media approve of? and don't forget...did you learn how to find a fish on your own

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post
I saw something similar on Sabine once. Boat rolls in on some waders...right between two of them. One of the waders threw his arms in the air like "WTH".(I was too far away to hear words) This BIG guy jumped off the boat and went after the smaller of the two waders and that little ******* beat that big man like it was his favorite hobby. It wasn't tough for that big man to get ahold of that little wading fellow but it was **** sure hard for him to let go of him.
Those are the encounters that I would pay money to watch 🤣

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxSon1836 View Post
all I can say is wow..... did you read what you wrote before you posted?
I think it sounded much better in his head than it did in print
TxDispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2019, 10:53 AM   #111
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

Quote:

What a *****!
150class is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2019, 11:06 AM   #112
Roy
Ten Point

Quote:

Right there with ya man! I now kill and eat every 15+pound LMB I catch! Good eats!

Kidding of course. But dang bud, I can only hope you are just being sarcastic.
Roy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2019, 11:36 AM   #113
Mike
Ten Point

I can understand some of the frustration with the old timers vs new guys so to speak. People's spots are not "theirs" anymore with the advanced technology. Not that any spot belongs to any certain person. For years people sink brushpiles on lakes and it only takes some time looking and you can find a lot of them. With new maps and depthfinders, you can simply follow contours until you find what you are looking for on most lakes.

Lots of folks are mad that these youngsters are in their spots and it was easy for them, they didn't have to "put in the work" to find the spot, it all out there on the internet and updated maps. My buddy borrowed my Navionics card and went to Cedar Creek Sunday-Thursday, neither of us have ever been there and they caught 60-100 each day by just using a map chip and finding the offshore spots. It's getting that easy.

I have gone into an area practicing and get covered up with boats and they copying what I am doing. At that point, If I have other areas with fish, I will enjoy that spot and stick as many fish as I want but I practice catch and release only.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2019, 01:17 PM   #114
adam_p
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Cooke, Denton

Quote:
Originally Posted by denimdeerslayer View Post
Maybe TP&W should have a required class to attend to renew/license boats.
You ever had some a-hole do something stupid around you on the freeway? He most likely has a drivers license.

We don't need more government fees to be able to hit the lake. It won't fix anything. A-holes will be a-holes.
adam_p is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2019, 01:25 PM   #115
TXHUNT3R
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hempstead & Timpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_p View Post
You ever had some a-hole do something stupid around you on the freeway? He most likely has a drivers license.

We don't need more government fees to be able to hit the lake. It won't fix anything. A-holes will be a-holes.
lol
TXHUNT3R is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2019, 01:25 PM   #116
eastxhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marsh / Central Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_p View Post

Word
eastxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2019, 01:27 PM   #117
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
I can understand some of the frustration with the old timers vs new guys so to speak. People's spots are not "theirs" anymore with the advanced technology. Not that any spot belongs to any certain person. For years people sink brushpiles on lakes and it only takes some time looking and you can find a lot of them. With new maps and depthfinders, you can simply follow contours until you find what you are looking for on most lakes.

Lots of folks are mad that these youngsters are in their spots and it was easy for them, they didn't have to "put in the work" to find the spot, it all out there on the internet and updated maps. My buddy borrowed my Navionics card and went to Cedar Creek Sunday-Thursday, neither of us have ever been there and they caught 60-100 each day by just using a map chip and finding the offshore spots. It's getting that easy.
I don't have an issue with that ^ too much...I mean, once you drop a brush pile in public waters, it becomes everyones brush pile to use. The issue I have with people on the water is the fly by's who buzz past you way too close, just so they can mark a spot, while trying to be inconspicuous (as if everyone doesn't know what they're doing), the folks who come within easy casting distance to potluck your hole and start chunking your direction, the idiots who zip in between a boat/waders and the shoreline just because they don't want to take a few seconds to give a wide berth (seriously, it is literally seconds added on your run...quit being a DB and go around), and the guides who pull up and demand you move off of "their" brush pile. I have fished with an elderly gentleman who has sunk hundreds of piles on Rayburn, and he gets a kick out of the idiot guides who pull up to a pile that he sunk that we are fishing and try to move him off of "their" pile I can't type his conversations with them on here, it would include way too many *'s
Old 06-07-2019, 01:48 PM   #118
DTala
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntertex View Post
I have always found that a big weight that accidentally snaps off the line when casting seems to make rude people give you more space.
this^^^^ a 2 oz. pyramid will go thru the hull of a 30 foot sport fisher.....
DTala is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2019, 01:51 PM   #119
breederbuck33
Ten Point

Oh man I forgot about the guys who anchor in the boat cuts. The Galveston North Jetty is horrible. People are anchored up right in the middle of the cut with a smokin tide, and they get mad when you buzz by them. Its literally the only cut through that jetty, and it is a very long boat ride to go around the end of the jetty. In their eyes though your a real **** because you didn't idle by them. In my eyes I'm not risking tides pushin my boat into rocks because you anchored in the middle of the boat cut!
breederbuck33 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2019, 02:23 PM   #120
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by breederbuck33 View Post
Oh man I forgot about the guys who anchor in the boat cuts. The Galveston North Jetty is horrible. People are anchored up right in the middle of the cut with a smokin tide, and they get mad when you buzz by them. Its literally the only cut through that jetty, and it is a very long boat ride to go around the end of the jetty. In their eyes though your a real **** because you didn't idle by them. In my most sane peoples eyes I'm not risking tides pushin my boat into rocks because you anchored in the middle of the boat cut!
FIFY
Old 06-07-2019, 03:01 PM   #121
batmaninja
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Wasnt there a guide in Rockport that got KO'd on the water a few years back for potlicking a group that didnt appreciate it? Heard that the guy that swung on him was nice enough to help him back into his own boat, then suggest his paying clients get a refund.
batmaninja is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2019, 03:30 PM   #122
Bryan2014
Six Point

Hunt In: Menard County, Victoria county

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmaninja View Post
Wasnt there a guide in Rockport that got KO'd on the water a few years back for potlicking a group that didnt appreciate it? Heard that the guy that swung on him was nice enough to help him back into his own boat, then suggest his paying clients get a refund.
Iíd like to hear that story
Bryan2014 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2019, 04:00 PM   #123
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmaninja View Post
I remember that, but if I remember correctly there was more to it than simple pot licking. I seem to remember the dude being a world class jack hole.
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2019, 06:16 PM   #124
Bassbuster
Eight Point

Hunt In: Burnet, New Mexico,west texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase15 View Post
Thats the dumbest ***** i ever read
This !!!!! And this boys and girls is why we donít have big fish. Throw the big ones back to breed.
Bassbuster is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2019, 03:32 PM   #125
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Many years ago I took a friend fishing at Colorado Bend State Park during the white bass run. Tons of fishermen spread out all over the shallow rapids fishing the slightly noisy flowing clear water....

Until my buddies two sons 8 and 10 years old muddy the water up for everyone down river...and proceed screaming and yelling and fighting like only two little brothers could do. And I mean they fought, screamed all in that water with their Dad telling them to calm down once in a while LOL

I KNOW there are more than a handful of guys that tell that story to each other about rude people
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2019, 03:56 PM   #126
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassbuster View Post
This !!!!! And this boys and girls is why we donít have big fish. Throw the big ones back to breed.
When I was running trips if a customer caught a Striper over 15lbs I would tell them I will knock $100 off if you take pics and release. Most did
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2019, 12:37 AM   #127
jaker_cc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb Ct., Karnes Ct.

Quote:

Dumbest **** ever posted, donít approve of the people so you kill the fish....... thatíll show em
jaker_cc is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2019, 12:49 AM   #128
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County
Default Fishing etiquette....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaker_cc View Post
Dumbest **** ever posted, donít approve of the people so you kill the fish....... thatíll show em

I bet he kills the bucks before his neighbors do also.

Iíve cleaned fish 4 or 5 times in the last 14 years. You could double that amount for the few times Iíve been on a guided trip offshore or had someone else clean them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Black Ice; 06-09-2019 at 12:55 AM.
Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2019, 01:00 AM   #129
Jcjohnson
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burke, Thompson, Lincolnton

I didn’t think there Was anything worse than public land duck hunting. guess it could be worse

Last edited by Jcjohnson; 06-09-2019 at 01:13 AM.
Jcjohnson is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2019, 06:29 PM   #130
JLivi1224
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public

Quote:

Trolling....
JLivi1224 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2019, 10:33 PM   #131
BBRU
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere....

It really is sad how discourteous people are... Happens dang near everytime I’m on Rayburn
BBRU is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2019, 10:44 PM   #132
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBRU View Post
It really is sad how discourteous people are... Happens dang near everytime Iím on Rayburn

I hope to experience that one day

Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2019, 10:44 PM   #133
BBRU
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ice View Post
I hope to experience that one day

Name a time....