Jeep Wrangler Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jeep Wrangler Question

My daughter wrecked her car and they might total it. She wants a jeep wrangler. The question is are these reliable and worth purchasing a used one? I can only afford about 12 maybe 14K and everything I look at has 80K and higher mileage. If anyone can give some advise and opinion that would be great and appreciated.

Thanks for your help

I have a 2010 wrangler 2 door and have had a 92 and 98. I would not want one for my kid but for me they are great. just not real stable for a kid

Comment

Probably looking at a TJ in that price range. Those 4.0 6cyl are great motors and pretty dang bullet proof. They are also easy to find and cheap to replace if ever needed.

Issues that I commonly saw on tj were mostly along the lines of sensors going out and what seemed to be never ending check engine lights for them. ( read code- change that sensor- new code- change that sensor- new code again lol)

Avoid a 4cyl. They are also good motors but super weak and no one wants them.

Comment

The straight 6 is good. But regular maintenance stuff. However if your daughter just wrecked a car.... not sure I'd be getting her what she wants? Unless I'm improperly reading it as her fault.

As long as you get one that hasn't been wheeled or screwed around with should be fine.

Comment

My 15 year old daughter also wants a Jeep. She's gonna be disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooverfb View Post
            The straight 6 is good. But regular maintenance stuff. However if your daughter just wrecked a car.... not sure I'd be getting her what she wants? Unless I'm improperly reading it as her fault.

As long as you get one that hasn't been wheeled or screwed around with should be fine.
            Let me restate she was in a wreck

Comment

I had a 98 wrangler 4.0L with auto transmission, I bought it in 2015 with a little over 200k miles. I gave it to my son last October when he turned 16. It runs good and strong still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Jeep = Just Empty Every Pocket

Have a 98 TJ w/4.0 and auto. Motor is great but it is a constant source of replacing things. As mention not very stable and miserable to drive longer distance as well as hwy speeds greater than 65 mph

Comment

I'm glad your daughter, is ok...……….

Comment

Having had a jeep, I would not recommend getting one as a daily driver. They ride and handle very poorly. Great for cruising the beach or the ranch, but no way I would want to have to drive one daily. You could maybe get away with one if shes just driving locally to and from school. However, jeeps are not very practical for real life. If you cant afford to buy her another car soon after the jeep plays out, or if you dont want her to have to buy herself a new car in the near future, just get her a car that she can drive after she graduates too. Bottom line is get her something practical.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                      Lol. I may buy mine a suburban with all the seats removed so she cant carry a load of kids, but still have a big safe vehicle. Lol. I actually bought a 2 door Tahoe to fox up in Hope's that she will want it, but I will probably opt for something with more air bags. She's only 9 right now so I have time.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                        My daugher was too. She just turned 16 and we got her a honda accord.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

My son has been driving the 2008 JK we bought new for almost a year. I think its got around 102k on it now. Its lifted, with bumpers, wheels and 35" tires. To me, its a perfect teenage ride cause it wont go fast enough to get a speeding ticket and none of the other kids want to take road trips in it.

He likes it

Comment

I bought a 2017 JKU new. I have about 63k miles on it. Absolutely enjoy driving it, as evidenced by the miles on it. I did recently have it in the shop for transmission repair. They put me in a 2018 loaner. It had all of the bells and whistles and was slightly more comfortable than my 17. I've driven it from DFW to Vegas, Colorado and New Mexico twice. Plenty comfortable to me. Bigger bodies may not fit as well in the seat? My daughter will get this one when it is paid for and barring no further problems, I will buy another in the latest variation.
                            I will add, a friend of mine has a Rubicon that is a few years older than mine. His has very low miles, is lifted and big tires. He never drives it because he said it beats him to death and walks all over the road. I think that is due to improper lift and tire combination? His is strictly for street driving. [emoji849]
                            Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by tgil; 09-23-2019, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CentexRancher View Post
                              Having had a jeep, I would not recommend getting one as a daily driver. They ride and handle very poorly. Great for cruising the beach or the ranch, but no way I would want to have to drive one daily. You could maybe get away with one if shes just driving locally to and from school. However, jeeps are not very practical for real life. If you cant afford to buy her another car soon after the jeep plays out, or if you dont want her to have to buy herself a new car in the near future, just get her a car that she can drive after she graduates too. Bottom line is get her something practical.
                              This x10000000.

I've had two Jeeps and there is no way I'd ever want one as a daily driver. The ride is awful. You feel beat up when you drive them for an extended period of time. They are underpowered as can be. Has to be the most uncomfortable vehicle out there.

Comment

Working...
                              X