Old SD cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old SD cards

Just wonder how long you guys go before replacing your cards with new ones. I run some cameras year round so some do get quite a bit of use. After 2 or 3 years I am having some problems loading pictures and some will be pulled and file be empty. Trying to figure out if it’s the card or cameras. Any help or prior experience will be helpful. Thanks

I keep them until they junk out. I bet I've had some cards close to 10 years. Others maybe a year or two, all going between video cameras, DSLRs, and trail cameras.

Format the card after it's had issues, make sure it's unlocked (tab on the side of the card), and try it again. A lot of times just formatting the card can fix the issue. Trying to figure out if it's the camera or the card can be the frustrating part.

Change batteries, format, and try again in the field. If it won't take pics of you walking in front of it, or won't let you load the pics, try swapping out cards. Repeat. If that doesn't work, try swapping out cameras. My experience has been that more cameras have issues or junk out than SD cards.

Comment

We run over 20 cameras, I have probably 60 SD cards. They do eventually go bad. Everything MooseontheLoose said is what I try. You can also try cleaning the golden tips, they get dirt and bs on them. If they will not reformat, they are BAD. I chunk them at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by MooseontheLoose View Post
        Format the card after it's had issues, make sure it's unlocked (tab on the side of the card), and try it again. A lot of times just formatting the card can fix the issue. Trying to figure out if it's the camera or the card can be the frustrating part.
        I've found that formatting the cards any time I pull them has helped avoid any issues. I have several cards that I've been swapping in and out of cameras for a few years now.

Comment

I take about 50-125 pictures a day for work. I download the pics everyday, put in file, delete the pics on the card and repeat the next day. I have some cards that 3-4 years old. I have been doing this for 10+ yrs.

I also have some cards that are 3-4 years old in my trail cams also. I keep these cards in a plastic case instead of just throwing them in my pocket. I have had very few problems with SD cards. Most of the time it has been my trail cam acting up vs the SD cards.

Comment

I run about 20-30 cameras year round for exotics/whitetail and have several really old cards. I use a SD card wallets and number my cards and cameras. 2 cards for every camera and only put those two in said camera. I always seemed to have to format all the time when they were just going from random camera to camera. This works great for me and has for the last few years.

Comment

Originally posted by J-J Matt View Post
              I run about 20-30 cameras year round for exotics/whitetail and have several really old cards. I use a SD card wallets and number my cards and cameras. 2 cards for every camera and only put those two in said camera. I always seemed to have to format all the time when they were just going from random camera to camera. This works great for me and has for the last few years.
              Thanks for the replies. I’m gonna try Matt’s process.

Comment

Good advice above.

I would encourage you to spend $10 bucks and get a case. Something like this….

Eco-Fused Memory Card Case - Fits up to 22x SD, SDHC, Micro SD, Mini SD and 4X CF - Holder with 22 Slots - Microfiber Cleaning Cloth Included https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0085DZRDE...P0VWM9HMGJE2NF

Comment

I use these. . . have them broke out by SD Card size
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	61sjUWPiocL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	24661382

Comment

Working...
                  X