• Show
Clear All

Paint for pipe

What type of paint should I buy for front gate frane and line posts
    2 7/8”. It’s new, but Rusty now.

Hopefully no prep?

Thanks

Big pig

Rust-oleum and paint it a brown or rust color so don't have to repaint it every couple of years.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

Probably the most durable is the silver/aluminum RustOleum. It has a high aluminum content. There is a reason propane tanks are coated with it.

Comment

Just finished our entrance today and I thought I was going to sandblast , prime and paint . I got to looking at it and we like it rusty- so that’s what it’s going to be. Painting with out treating first will require a lot of repainting in the future.

Comment

Use OSPHO first then paint. No real prep required just brush on OSPHO then paint.

Comment

Originally posted by ecallarman View Post
            Use OSPHO first then paint. No real prep required just brush on OSPHO then paint.
            Do this. We use DTM paint.

Comment

Thank you for the info

Big pig

Comment

We used fence post in black beauty. Looks good and durable

Comment

I decided to leave my new gate posts rusty. Neighbor painted his entire pipe fence about three years ago and it looked great but is is already getting rusty in spots and now it don't look so hot.

Comment

Hate to be the guy with bad news but once rust has set in, you need to stand/treat rust or have it sand blasted. The time you take now will pay off in the long run.

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                    What type of paint should I buy for front gate frane and line posts
                    2 7/8”. It’s new, but Rusty now.

Hopefully no prep?

Thanks

Big pig

Comment

Rust is a pretty good color for a fence.

Comment

I had pretty good luck with Rust-oleum (rusty metal primer)

Comment

I am having my pipe fence put in right now and have been doing a lot of research on the painting process.

I will do Ospho to treat the rust. Then clean off and put on rustoleum metal primer (I wanted Sherwin Williams but they are having supply chain issues so it's doubtful I will be able to get it). Finally I will put on 2 coats of Sherwin Williams marine grade industrial paint. I will use a Hvlp sprayer to apply it. The sprayer I am getting from Harbor Freight and I am still undecided on a compressor but I am leaning towards the 26 gallon Kobalt that lowes has for $350.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Be Careful, pipe generally comes with a cheap coating of some kind on it, oil shellac or who knows but something to keep it from rusting on the rack or in transit. If you paint over the coating you may very soon be starting over with even more of a mess to clean off.

Comment

I put a dish washing globe on, couple old socks over that and rubbed all of it with ospho waited a day or so the did the same thing with black oil based rust-oleum.. turned out good..

Comment

Working...
                              X