Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caliber - want a 308 but own a 270

Ok, here is my dilemma.

I own a .270 rifle, but want to get a .308. Ideally I want a rifle that is less than 7 pounds for a western game hunt, aka, elk hunt.

Was going to get a .308 last year, but did not get the memo at the beginning of 2020 that the world would be turned upside down. And we'd have a finding ammo issue.

I have a few boxes of .270 150gr Nosler partitions, which from what I read is plenty of ammo to take an elk. But the rifle I own is 7.somthing pounds.

With the money I was going to buy the .308 with, I could buy another .270; looking at the Tikka lite in .270 (less than 7lbs, and known to be a tac driver).

Would you hold out for a .308 or get the Tikka in .270?

If I get the .308, I have to start scrounging for .308 ammo. What would you do?

Another option is to wait, and just use the rifle I have, but its more than 7 lbs, and I'm itching for a new rifle.

Tika in .270 if just itching for a new rifle. The .270 would be the superior round for elk compared to that .308 anyway.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

270 all the way…stick to your guns [emoji6]

Comment

Super light rifles are difficult to shoot. By all means buy all the guns you want! Just don’t go crazy chasing weight. You likely won’t be happy.

Comment

Run what you got.

That .270 with 150 nosler partitions has been considered reliable for elk more times than I can even comprehend.

If you want a .30 caliber then just go 30/06. I would wager it’s easier to find ammo for than the .308 is.
            Last edited by SwampBuck; 07-02-2021, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Well, just buy my Franchi 308, my handloads, my brass, bullets and dies and you won't have to worry about finding ammo [emoji2957]

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

Just me thinking out loud here.. I wouldn’t want two 270s in my safe. 308 ammo is becoming easier and easier to find. You can pick up some great stuff on Midway USA right now. I would also throw the 7mm-08 in the mix. It is arguably superior to the 308. 7mm-08 and 308 are both short action and that will help save you weight in a rifle over the 270. 7mm-08 is also going to recoil less possibly making the lighter rifle easier to shoot. 308 allows you to throw some heavier bullets at those elk.

Comment

The 270 is a good choice. So, if the gun you have is a good shooter roll with it. If you are still looking to put some money into it, maybe upgrade your optics, unless you are already where you want to be. I've heard a lot of guys say that they would rather have a $500 gun with a $1500 scope than the other way around.

Comment

JMO, if your wanting a 308 get the 308 or your not gonna b happy. Several good calibers for elk. I shoot a savage in 308 and love it. Go with what makes you happy. As stated above ammo for the 308 gettin easier to find

Comment

I’d like to point out that Jack O’Connor killed everthing he ever shot at all over the world using mostly a .270 Winchester. That said, if I wanted a .308 then I’d buy one. You’ll find the ammo somewhere. I might even have some myself.

Comment

Caliber - want a 308 but own a 270

I’d just take the .270, but you can never have too many guns. You should be able to find .308 ammo pretty easy. I go into several different gun shops multiple times per week, and I don’t think I’ve been into one that didn’t have .308 on the shelf in 4 or 5 months. Most have several different choices of it. The owner of one of the main shops I frequent in the Lubbock area told me a few weeks ago that he’s even been turning down .308 from his suppliers since he’s been getting plenty. I came pretty close to putting a .308 barrel on my 6.5 Creed AR-10 since he was getting so much of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Last edited by Raider4044; 07-02-2021, 08:50 PM.

Comment

If you’re worried about an extra pound go on a diet. Lighter rifles are highly overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                            Tika in .270 if just itching for a new rifle. The .270 would be the superior round for elk compared to that .308 anyway.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
                            Amen

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                              If you’re worried about an extra pound go on a diet. Lighter rifles are highly overrated.
                              This is it for me. 270 bout as good as you can ask for.

Comment

Working...
                              X