Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 06-03-2021, 05:28 PM   #651
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kick CoViD's tail!

Hold on to your britches folks! PK is releasing 16,664 cfs.
Granedbury is releasing 15,939 cfs at the moment. I expect that to increase to accommodate what PK is currently releasing.

W lake is 8.6 feet above normal. With the above releases, and the possibility of more rain soon, the W lake could hit 20 feet above normal pending how much they release before they really open the gates. The W lake is currently releasing 506 cfs.

Waco is holding water back as well as many of the lower Brazos projects. Many are above normal. And many are much smaller lakes sized like the A lake.

A lake is 6.27 feet above normal. And releasing 990 cfs, into the Brazos as well.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2021, 01:18 PM   #652
roadscholar
Spike

W is almost 10 feet high now. Looks like everything will be shut down until sometime in July.
roadscholar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2021, 01:27 PM   #653
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

PK is currently releasing 15,725 cfs. Grandbury is currently releasing 17,780 cfs.

W lake is 10.17 feet above normal. And releasing 13,558 cfs.

A lake is 5.01 feet above normal. And releasing 974 cfs.

Many of the smaller impoundments in the middle and lower Brazos valley are releasing some water. ACE has been doing a great job trying to keep folks down stream from flooding. Hats off for ACE!
Old 06-08-2021, 08:20 AM   #654
Buckshot-73
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Whitney and Glen Rose

Mike, I heard on the mighty BAP yesterday, they issued a local disaster emergency for Hood county.... said PK was opening a 3rd flood gate, and to expect flooding for Granbury area.

That doesn’t sound good for the Brazos valley.
Buckshot-73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2021, 08:41 AM   #655
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

PK is releasing 28,360 cfs at the moment. Granbury is releasing 27,336 cfs. Granbury will have to open more gates to accommodate the inflow. PK is barely below normal of .07 feet. With today's storms in that area, I'd expect PK to open a bit more.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!
Old 06-08-2021, 05:06 PM   #656
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

PK has dropped it's release back from this morning to 17,767 cfs. Grandbury has increased it's release to 31,619 cfs.

The W lake is rising. And currently sits at 11.86 feet above normal. It is releasing 21,396 cfs.

A lake sits at 4.93 feet above normal. And releasing 973 cfs.

How high to you think the W lake will go? I think they will try to hold the release rate back as much as possible to keep from flooding down stream. There is over 30K cfs being released into the river system at the present (not counting Grandbury or PK), with other projects combined with the W lake's release. That's quite a bit when you get down by Rosharon, Texas. But that poor little town has seen 54 feet above normal too. And it's pretty flat down there. Lots of room for the water to spread out before it hits the delta.

Last edited by Texas Grown; 06-08-2021 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-09-2021, 06:02 PM   #657
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

PK is releasing 17,636 cfs. Grandbury is releasing 31,570 cfs.

W lake is 12.76 feet above normal. And is releasing 25,352 cfs.

A lake has dropped a little to 4.53 feet above normal. And is releasing 968 cfs.
Old 06-11-2021, 07:24 PM   #658
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

PK is releasing 17,636 cfs still. Good news is it hasn't had any inflow. And is slightly below normal. This should mean it should shut the gates down soon. Grandbury is releasing 19,856 cfs. Down from my past posting. It will have to continue releasing after PK shuts down for a few days. Then it will shut down too. This is providing there is no more rain in the area.

W lake is 13.21 feet above normal. It is releasing 25,006 cfs.

A lake is down to 3.53 feet above normal. It is releasing 955 cfs.

Everybody, have a safe and wonderful weekend! And don't forget to drink plenty of non-alcoholic fluids with the heat that's out!
Old 06-11-2021, 07:27 PM   #659
jnd1959
Ten Point

Well I hope it shuts down soon. Granbury is log central right now.
jnd1959 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 10:13 PM   #660
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Coworker who lives on the Grandbury lake said it was really flowing. Channel markers were turned sideways with the current. Logs coming in as fast as they go out from one end to the other.
Old 06-12-2021, 07:37 AM   #661
Paycheck
Ten Point

Can't wait until Whitney pinches down a little.

Name:  floodedyard.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  192.7 KB
Paycheck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2021, 10:57 AM   #662
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Hope and praying for yall Paycheck! I've had family property looking like that on Lake Worth a few times. We never got flooded out though, in the 76 years we owned it. On the light side, I could sit in the yard and catfish in the yard. They were in there eating all the earthworms, grubs, and other insects in the yard.

No release changes have been made except the A lake is releasing 4 cfs less than yesterday evening.

W lake has dropped a few inches in the last 24hrs. And sits at 13.01 feet above normal. Bad news is: PK level has come up a bit in the last 24 hrs, about 3". And is slightly above normal by 2.5 inches.

A lake has dropped a few inches also. And sits at 3.26 feet above normal
Old 06-13-2021, 11:50 AM   #663
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Good news: None of the lakes have had an inflow in the last 24 hours. And all are releasing something except Georgetown. It is 3.30 feet low and not releasing. PK is releasing 17,636 cfs still. Grandbury is still releasing 19,856 cfs.

The W lake sits at 12.59 feet above normal. A little down from the past 24 hours. And has dropped it's release rate to 23,806.

A lake is 2.69 feet above normal. And is releasing 943 cfs.

With the expected warm weather to come this coming week, we should see more decline in lake levels.
Old 06-16-2021, 04:04 PM   #664
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

PK is releasing 1,520 cfs. Grandbury is releasing 2,656 cfs.

W lake is down to 9.56 feet above normal. And is releasing 23,780 cfs.

A lake is 1.15 feet above normal. And is releasing 620 cfs.
Old 06-18-2021, 09:40 PM   #665
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where my Elite takes me!

TG, what is your prognostication for return to normal at Whitney, impact on campgrounds, striper and hunting?
Razorback01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2021, 11:10 AM   #666
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

PK is releasing 2,588 cfs. Grandbury is releasing 2,218 cfs.

The W lake has dropped to 5.97 feet above normal. And is releasing 23,780 still.

A lake is sitting at .20 feet above normal. And should be shutting it's gate down soon.

Lot's of water still going into the Brazos down stream. Waco, Belton, and Somerville are well still above normal levels for smaller lakes. Aquilla, Stillhouse, Granger, and Limestone are near normal levels. Georgetown is the only project below normal. All the smaller lakes except Georgetown and Limestone are releasing what they can into the Brazos to draw them back down to normal or below in case the area gets a good rain again. Those factors are what's limiting Whitney on it's release rate.

The good news is some of the smaller lakes are nearing normal again. So I expect they will be shutting down the release rate soon to join Limestone and Georgetown. Of those near normal again are Aquilla, Stillhouse, Granger, and Limestone (Limestone not releaseing). Waco, Belton, Whitney, and Sumerville still have a way to go. Seeing how Proctor (6.63 feet above normal) feeds Belton (8.93 feet above normal), I expect those two to take a while. However, Belton may open the gates more once the other smaller lakes start shutting down their gates. That would give Belton and Proctor a chance to release more and get back down to normal quickly in case more rains come to their areas. Whitney will most likely be the last to shut down. As it has the biggest "catcher's mitt". And can easily handle 20+ feet above normal.
Old 06-19-2021, 11:33 AM   #667
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorback01 View Post
TG, what is your prognostication for return to normal at Whitney, impact on campgrounds, striper and hunting?

If the rain stops, I'm thinking it's still going to be near Aug or in before the W lake is near normal again. This shouldn't have much effect on the stipers on the lower end (as it's shown in the past). What will make the difference is the thermal-cline. July and August are near some of the toughest months on fishing because the oxygen saturation rate in the water becomes less. And the metabolism of the fish has increased due the warmer waters. However, stipers still need to feed. But will be deeper through most of the day. You can find them in shallower waters and surface feeding very early in the morning and sometimes late in the evening. But they and the sandies will be holding that thermal-cline most of the time. Once we get through August, things will start to pick back up in September. October being usually one of the best months as the fish start to forage for the winter.

As to the parks, I don't expect Plowman or Kimball Bend to be open for camping come fall. There is just to much cleanup and manpower needed, with the limited budget they have. ACE may let the boat ramps be open though. Hamm's Creek should get theirs cleaned up pretty quick. They've done a good job of that in the past. And of course there is Chisholm Trail that is nearly never shut down except when it's flooded. Most of the other "free" parks should be open once the water levels drop back to normal, and roads get cleaned up. As well as the ones that are usually open on the lower end during their respective season per park.

Hunting should be back to the norm come the season. Lots of new green browse will grow giving lots of options for the critters as the water recedes. Providing the lake doesn't flood again .

Last edited by Texas Grown; 06-19-2021 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-19-2021, 10:02 PM   #668
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Impressive TG, and thanks! You rival FND as the "legend".

At the current lake stage, did it flood the flat areas (dove areas)?

Take the mask off!
Old 06-20-2021, 02:01 PM   #669
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
Impressive TG, and thanks! You rival FND as the "legend".

At the current lake stage, did it flood the flat areas (dove areas)?

Take the mask off!

When we look at the lake water level as "normal" conditions on the W lake, we are referring to a level of 533 feet above sea level, also known as "conservation level". This is where you will normally find most of the older shoreline Willow trees growing (last 50 years or so). Although there have been newer growths from the lake having sat in a receded state for some time. Just look for the older taller trees. Their trunks will give you an idea of where the conservation level starts.

After some research in recent W lake history, I have found that the W lake reached a maximum height of 13.36 feet above normal on June 10th, 2021. That is as close to today's date as the ACE database would let me get. It may have gotten slightly higher. But not by much from what I can remember.

After comparing the USGS TOPO (circa 2019 of Morgan-USGS) of the area I believe you are referencing to, it should have covered part of it at 13.36 feet above normal. It certainly flooded 1/2 the creek area making it 2/3rds the way to the highway. And some of the lower laying areas were flooded as well. There is a median TOPO line that runs mostly vertical through that property. It's set at 550 feet above sea level. Maximum height is slightly avbove 560 feet above sea level near the highway. And runs down as it gets closer to the water.
Old 06-20-2021, 02:05 PM   #670
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

And I'll change my avatar soon.
Old 06-20-2021, 05:41 PM   #671
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

And I can't be a Legend when FND is already "The Legend". No way to "rival" that feller!
Old 06-21-2021, 12:20 PM   #672
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Grown View Post
And I'll change my avatar soon.
You are avatar-less.
Old 06-21-2021, 01:38 PM   #673
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
You are avatar-less.
Well, I changed it, didn't I?

Old 06-21-2021, 05:53 PM   #674
Razorback01
Pope & Young

No sir, no avatar. May I suggest some?
Old 06-21-2021, 06:55 PM   #675
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
No sir, no avatar. May I suggest some?

Sure!

Although I have some ideas for one, I just wanna see where this goes.
Old 06-21-2021, 07:07 PM   #676
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

PK is releasing 1,190 cfs. Grandbury is releasing 3,542 cfs.

The W lake sits at 3.43 feet above normal. And releasing 9,887 cfs at the moment.

A lake sits at .22 feet below normal. And is not releasing anything of worthiness.
Old 06-21-2021, 07:09 PM   #677
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

And just for the record, today has the most daylight of the year. So, you can say: "It's been a longggggg day!".
Old 06-23-2021, 04:51 PM   #678
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

PK is releasing 371 cfs. Grandbury is releasing 1,339 cfs.

W lake sits at 1.88 feet above normal. We might make it to normal before July! (pending rain, of course). And it's releasing 7,512 cfs.

A lake is .23 feet below normal. and releasing "3" cfs.
Old 06-25-2021, 09:10 AM   #679
jnd1959
Ten Point

Ok. Today is June 25th. This has gone on too long. Texas Grown has been without an avatar for at least 5 days. I propose a "Save the Avatar" campaign for TG. We could start a gofundme to help design one. Maybe apply for a federal grant. In this day and age, in a county as wealthy as we are, no one should be without an avatar. We can't let one of our own twist in the wind.
Old 06-25-2021, 11:07 AM   #680
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnd1959 View Post
Ok. Today is June 25th. This has gone on too long. Texas Grown has been without an avatar for at least 5 days. I propose a "Save the Avatar" campaign for TG. We could start a gofundme to help design one. Maybe apply for a federal grant. In this day and age, in a county as wealthy as we are, no one should be without an avatar. We can't let one of our own twist in the wind.

Old 06-25-2021, 05:18 PM   #681
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

PK is releasing 371 cfs. Grandbury is releasing 1,340 at the moment.

W lake is 1.06 feet above normal. And is releasing 4,384 cfs. Looks like we might hit normal this weekend if we don't get much rain or the gates stay at current release rates. But things can change with the expected rain forcast for this Sunday through Tuesday.

A lake sits at .26 feet below normal. And is releasing 3 cfs.
Old 06-27-2021, 09:56 AM   #682
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Data has not been updated on the W or A lakes on the district website. Someone musta forgot to go to work . But...

A lake sits at .29 feet below normal.

W lake sits at .65 feet above normal.
Old 06-28-2021, 05:51 PM   #683
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Finally! And update! PK is releasing 391 cfs. Grandbury is releasing 898 cfs.

W lake sits at .30 feet above normal. And is releasing 4381 cfs. I expect they will start shutting down the releases soon. And try to conserve for the summer. We are about to enter what is our traditionally two hottest months of the year.

A lake is .26 feet below normal still. And had an inflow of .03. It's releasing 3 cfs.
Old 06-29-2021, 12:21 AM   #684
slabnabbin
Eight Point

Whitney gave up some good ones today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
slabnabbin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2021, 06:25 AM   #685
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Nice haul slabnabbin!

Old 06-29-2021, 06:11 PM   #686
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Ut-oh! Here we go again. PK is releasing 9,326 cfs. Grandbury is releasing 2,214 cfs.

The W lake has almost made it back to normal. It sits at .02 feet above normal . And is releasing it's normal 25 cfs. This is just in time for Grandbury to open it's gates over the next day or so. There by creating a larger inflow into the W lake than what is going out.

A lake is still .26 feet below normal. It has not had any inflow or out flow. And is releasing 3 cfs. Someone needs to fix those leaks and conserve some water!
Old 06-30-2021, 06:07 AM   #687
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Quote:
Ut-oh! Here we go again. PK is releasing 9,326 cfs. Grandbury is releasing 2,214 cfs.

The W lake has almost made it back to normal. It sits at .02 feet above normal . And is releasing it's normal 25 cfs. This is just in time for Grandbury to open it's gates over the next day or so. There by creating a larger inflow into the W lake than what is going out.

A lake is still .26 feet below normal. It has not had any inflow or out flow. And is releasing 3 cfs. Someone needs to fix those leaks and conserve some water!
Possible pre-planning, checking the weather this morning, chances for rain thru next week.
Old 07-01-2021, 04:44 PM   #688
NannySlayer
Pope & Young

Radio check... is this thing on???
NannySlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2021, 04:53 PM   #689
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Nanny Slayer!
Old 07-01-2021, 05:17 PM   #690
NannySlayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Nanny Slayer!

Howdy TG!

Went to Benbrook on Tuesday. The water has come down QUITE a bit. Launched at the Marina and scooted over towards Mustang to check out the parks. Everything was still closed. I'm not sure as of today.

I will be headed down to Whitney Saturday! Haven't been down there in a hot minute. I hope life is treating yall well!!!
Old 07-01-2021, 06:00 PM   #691
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Thanks . Hope all has been well on your end too. Good to see you post-n . I'm just trying to stay out of the heat. Catch a bunch if ya get a chance!

Most of the ramps at Whitney will be open tomorrow. As well as several parks. They have been "scheduled for July 2nd" to open.

To all, have a safe and fun 4th weekend!
Old 07-01-2021, 06:03 PM   #692
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

And I've still got a bunch of frozen shad, FREE, if anybody needs some.
Old 07-01-2021, 09:29 PM   #693
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Quote:
Catfish bait bump.
Old 07-03-2021, 03:14 PM   #694
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

PK is releasing 2863 cfs. Grandbury is releasing 14,700 cfs.

W lake sits at .35 feet above normal. And is releasing 4826 cfs.

A lake is .06 feet above normal. And is releasing 3 cfs.
Old 07-04-2021, 11:24 AM   #695
jnd1959
Ten Point

Were up in the mountains but if the videos of 4th parades in granbury and Weatherford are any indication we got a lot of rain yesterday.
Old 07-04-2021, 01:46 PM   #696
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

It's not to bad here yesterday and today, JD. Bit humid today. Yall stay cool up there!

And a Happy B-day U.S. of America!

Last edited by Texas Grown; 07-04-2021 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-04-2021, 01:51 PM   #697
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

PK is releasing 2,863 cfs. Grandbury is releasing 3,700 cfs.

W lake is 1.01 feet above normal. And is releasing 4,828 cfs.

Looks like the A lake came up over 2 feet in the last 24 hrs ! It sits at 2.23 feet above normal. And is releasing 3 cfs still.
Old 07-04-2021, 10:25 PM   #698
NannySlayer
Pope & Young

Quote:

Count me in on them there fish sticks. I’ll put them to work real quick.

Old 07-04-2021, 11:42 PM   #699
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by NannySlayer View Post
Count me in on them there fish sticks. I’ll put them to work real quick.

Any time you want some, your welcome to some. Just send me a text and let me know your coming.
Old 07-07-2021, 12:19 AM   #700
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion co, Navarro co

Quote:
PK is releasing 2,863 cfs. Grandbury is releasing 3,700 cfs.

W lake is 1.01 feet above normal. And is releasing 4,828 cfs.

Looks like the A lake came up over 2 feet in the last 24 hrs ! It sits at 2.23 feet above normal. And is releasing 3 cfs still.
I think I saw it rise as I sat under the bridge, lol. 5 min after putting in the bottom fell out and it never quit or let up. We sat there for over an hr and got soaked. Finally decided I could t get much wetter so made a run for the ramp and load. I was wrong, I got a lot more “wetter”! Bad gamble on my part for sure.
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top