Check your tie rods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check your tie rods

Tie rod broke on a car traveling 50 to 75 mph down a small highway earlier. There was a cloud of white smoke from the front left wheel doing a hard left. Thankfully the guy rode the steering wheel hard avoiding hitting traffic head on traveling in the opposite direction. He managed to force it into the right lane and then onto the shoulder. It left lots of rubber on the road when the tie rod broke and the wheel turned sharply. Definitely a moment that’ll get your heart to racing. Glad he’s ok and the car is repairable.

Good idea to also check ball joints if you hear them squeaking from being dry.
    Last edited by MontanaMountain; 09-20-2021, 12:39 PM.

Tis the season

Comment

I mean you should have an idea if something on your front end is wrong.....do you mind sharing what make/model vehicle?

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
        I mean you should have an idea if something on your front end is wrong.....do you mind sharing what make/model vehicle?
        Not certain as to the year but it was a Honda Civic.

Comment

Haha in a perfect world, yes. However, in the real world, this is the reason I drive other family members cars regularly.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
            Haha in a perfect world, yes. However, in the real world, this is the reason I drive other family members cars regularly.
            Good idea. Ball joint broke on a family member’s car and it left them stranded in a bad area while headed to church. Sometimes it can be a weak area in a steel part with low mileage. Defects can happen and not be noticed by quality control inspectors.

Comment

I mean you should have an idea if something on your front end is wrong.....
              Negative

Even people that should get surprised and the average person has no clue until something gets to the point there is no overlooking it.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                Negative

Even people that should get surprised and the average person has no clue until something gets to the point there is no overlooking it.
                I would say I have very little mechanical inclination and can tell if my car is making a different sound, 'rubbing', pulling one way or the other, popping, etc. Never mind, I have all females in my house so I get where yall are coming from

Comment

Had a cousin get killed because of it. Her sister was driving and tie rod snapped causing them to go into oncoming traffic and hit head on with a dually.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                    Negative

Yep. Look at the youtube channels, just rolled in, or search customer states what!?

Its bad, really bad.

Comment

In cases like this there are indications that something is amiss. But many people choose to turn up the radio.

My wife included.

Comment

My brother in-law bought a 77 Ford truck from his grandpa several years ago. After he had been driving it for a while, we got to looking it over. The ball joints in the tie rods were shot and his grandpa had baling wired the tie rod ends to the wheel spindles.

Comment

Originally posted by Muskles View Post
                          My brother in-law bought a 77 Ford truck from his grandpa several years ago. After he had been driving it for a while, we got to looking it over. The ball joints in the tie rods were shot and his grandpa had baling wired the tie rod ends to the wheel spindles.
                          Thats awful. Complete deathtrap.

Front end parts arent real expensive and can be done diy. Pressing out oud ball joints out and new ones in is the hardest thing. Everything else is really easy

Just adjust the angles as close as you can to perfect then immediately drive to shop for alignment.

Comment

Another reason to let a professional to change your oil at least once a year

Comment

Originally posted by WRasco View Post
                              In cases like this there are indications that something is amiss. But many people choose to turn up the radio.

My wife included.
                              I saw a kid pull out of school today in a Infinity with a pretty much Flat left front tire

Comment

Working...
                              X