Best way to age on the hoof?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to age on the hoof?

As the season gets closer and closer I’m starting to see a ton of questions regarding aging deer. What do you find to be most reliable when aging a deer on the hoof? I know it’s never perfect… but I’ve already seen some interesting answers (looking at ankles for example).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually look at 3 things although there are quite a few more indicators...But, these are the 3 I look for: 1. protruding brisket, arched back, sagging belly....

Basically, looking for a deer that resembles me....

Comment

Lots of folks use many different things to look at. Just remember to use multiple characteristics, not just one as any one thing can have a margin of error. The first thing I look at is antler size for a general age (up til 4.5 years of age) then fine tune with neck size and chest size. Most of the other characteristics (saggy gut, swayed back, roman nose, facial color, dark hocks, etc.) have larger margins of error. Also remember that nobody, and I mean nobody, is correct all of the time. Persistent arguing on the age of a deer is pointless. But, you can increase your accuracy above simple guessing.

Comment

History

Comment

I say look at a LOT of deer. Start with known age classes such as yearlings and 2 year olds. Notice their body traits such as lean in the belly/hip area and skinny necks. Also thin faces.

Then as you start looking at older deer you can find differences in everything from body size to head shape.

Comment

In an aging deer I like to see the above + more detailed tells like:
            - saggy chin/lower jaw skin
            - knobby knees
            - knees/legs that tend to bow inward (bow legged)
            - bigger boxier head shape
            - large white rings around eyes

Others will argue some of these but nonetheless I use them.

ac

Comment

Start by getting them into three categories:
              Young
              Middle aged
              Old

Then break down the deer with some techniques as mentioned above.

Comment

Practice. Then practice more. Then some of them will still fool you. Use trail cam pics and identification marks (split ear, scar coloration, etc.) to get to know your herd. You will learn what a 4 year old looks like where you are.

Comment

Originally posted by DedDuk View Post
                  History
                  Most accurate right here IMO

Comment

There is no history...it's his first lease. Gotta start somewhere.

Comment

There is also an app called Deer Lab, I think. It’s from the Missouri Extension Service.

You might think that you're redneck
                      But I'm rednecker than you
                      Last edited by Geezy Rider; 09-13-2021, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by talltexasshoote View Post
                        Practice. Then practice more. Then some of them will still fool you.

Yup...different times of the year make them look a little off as well.

~~~~~~~

Bryant, ask the fellas in the know to share some trail cams & share some of your own pics. Make guesses & see how you come along through the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post

There is also an app called Deer Lab, I think. It’s from the Missouri Extension Service.

You might think that you're redneck
                          But I'm rednecker than you
                          That's a good guide but I like this on better as it includes head shape
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                            Yup...different times of the year make them look a little off as well.

~~~~~~~

Bryant, ask the fellas in the know to share some trail cams & share some of your own pics. Make guesses & see how you come along through the season.

I’ve never had a problem picking out a mature buck from a young buck. It’s the old *** bucks that sometimes throw me off. We’ve got some 8-10 year olds out here and some almost look 2!

Comment

Originally posted by Stites_Bites View Post
                              I’ve never had a problem picking out a mature buck from a young buck. It’s the old *** bucks that sometimes throw me off. We’ve got some 8-10 year olds out here and some almost look 2!

On those 8-10 year olds, that's when you really gotta have history. We killed a known 10 year old last year that looked every bit of 6. Killed another that was over 10 that looked like a really healthy 7 or 8 year old. Both had their best set of horns. Might kill another 10 year old this year that looks 5. Been watching him for at least 6 years. And he is wearing his best set of horns too. It gets fun when they get that old.

Comment

Working...
                              X