Sick Red Oak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sick Red Oak

Noticed a dead branch on our young Red Oak today. The tree was planted two years ago and has been doing very well. Upon a closer look, it has several of the bald, dead looking patches along the main trunk. The tree is about 12' tall and 4" in diameter. I noticed some of the same patches on the Red Oak 50" away. Neither really seemed to show any effect from the winter snow storm. Any idea what would cause this?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Plain Lucky; 08-16-2021, 05:36 PM.

The snow storm

Comment

Squirrel damage

Comment

Sun scald? Do both the areas face the west?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My mature Red Oak does this every year and has survived 11+ years. According to Neil Sperry, this is not uncommon and no need for alarm.

Comment

Originally posted by Codypatt1 View Post
            Sun scald? Do both the areas face the west?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            No sir, the one in the pic faces northeast. None of them seem to face the south our west.

Originally posted by dallred View Post
            My mature Red Oak does this every year and has survived 11+ years. According to Neil Sperry, this is not uncommon and no need for alarm.
            Thanks, that is certainly great to hear. Any idea of what it is or what causes it?

Comment

Red Oak

I had the same problem. Hired an arborist and he said it was squirrel damage. He said the females in particular scratch the bark off. Not sure if he's correct but when I put a plastic owl in or near the tree and did notice less shavings.

Comment

You may have a borer problem.

Comment

ttt

Comment

bump

Comment

I’m the furthest thing from an expert there is. I live in Minnesota and I have a red oak that has oak wilt and it turned brown in the upper branches like your photo. No idea if that’s what you have or not, just my amateur observation

Comment

Thread update: txtimetravler is the winner

Our local certified arborist and the county extension agent have both concluded it is squirrel damage. I've noticed 3 other red oaks in the area with the same issues. I don't think I can begin to slow them with a pellet gung and I don't have the time to run traps. Going to try a smooth flashing of some sort around the trunk, about 3' up, in hopes they won't be able to climb it.

Comment

You need a JRT!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes sir, I do! All of my dogs are too slow to catch them but they certainly try!

Comment

Try shooting a few squirrels and see if it slows the damage.

Perhaps the males do this to mark territory….I don’t know, but worth the try to knock out a few. Perhaps get lucky and shoot a male.

Comment

Working...
                              X