No announcement yet.

You don't own your property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IF they asked you to make a portion of your property Houston Toad friendly would you be willing to with a agreement to leave it that way 5 years? Maybe give you a tax break?

Ducks Unlimited does this. Make duck friendly habitat with agreements for leaving it that way for so many years.

I think ALL Texas wildlife is losing a battle against us and develpoment. I watched it happen to goose and duck wetalnds/potholes in the Katy area. I saw great ponds full of fish getting bull dozed over.

I propose a ban on Californians from moving here.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
      In the hill country around the Balcones Refuge outside Austin it’s the Golden Cheek Wobler bird that can only nest in f’ing cedars. Many land owners signed up and can’t do **** with their land without permission especially during nesting season
      Some guys caught on to this and out smarted the system. Someone owned like 1,000 acres and just happened to decide to go Ag and raise goats. After the goats, that he just happened to have too many of, ate everything to the 6' level he decided goats were not the best business choice. He then decided to make a subdivision. When the idiots came to check for woblers(sp) they didn't find any so had to give him the ok to build.

So figure out the frogs weakness and kill all of them by accident. Then do whatever you want.

Comment

Originally posted by matagordian View Post
        IF they asked you to make a portion of your property Houston Toad friendly would you be willing to with a agreement to leave it that way 5 years? Maybe give you a tax break?

Ducks Unlimited does this. Make duck friendly habitat with agreements for leaving it that way for so many years.

I think ALL Texas wildlife is losing a battle against us and develpoment. I watched it happen to goose and duck wetalnds/potholes in the Katy area. I saw great ponds full of fish getting bull dozed over.

No...I mean hell no. As soon as you agree to anything like that you agree you have that toad. They then indian give and you're SOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
          Probably get arrested
          Arrested for spraying for insects/bugs (i.e., removing food source)? I guess that’s a possibility in today’s climate. But not one that I’d be concerned with. Pest control companies and products would cease to exist. Maybe I’m wrong though. And if so, I welcome the input/feedback.

Comment

Just a follow up hypothetical question. The last 100 houston toads are on your privately owned property, would you be willing to not do property work for 4 months out of the year in order for them to survive?

For me, this is a tough question. I would like to think i would try, but its your property and you should be able to do what you want with it when you want.

I mean its only a toad, right? What about bees? Horny toads?

Comment

The last 100 houston toads are on your privately owned property, would you be willing to not do property work for 4 months out of the year in order for them to survive?
              how much is the state paying me for providing primo habitat for the last remaining toads that seem to be so important to them? I could do a yearly lease if the money was right

or depending on the property, they could buy it from me for atleast 10x the current value of normal use

Comment

Originally posted by MAP View Post
                how much is the state paying me for providing primo habitat for the last remaining toads that seem to be so important to them? I could do a yearly lease if the money was right

or depending on the property, they could buy it from me for atleast 10x the current value of normal use
                This was my point. If your answer is YES, there is some room to figure out a way to benefit the land owner and the animal.

I like to think that MAN can be a good steward of the land. Land owners do it with management plans for deer and game animals all the time without the state stepping in and making them.
                We should be able to help the small critters too.

Comment

Toads make good trout line bait!

Comment

they tried that with a lizard out west a few years ago. same brow lizard that there are millions of but in the oil patch they said that they had an extra scale from the other ones and had to be protected.
                    it would be like saying that people with green eyes are endangered and get to live wherever they want for free.

Comment

Originally posted by matagordian View Post

I’d wager to say you have never done a project with DU. I have and wouldn’t do another one. They contribute 75% and you contribute the other 25%. After the work was done they sent the check to me. I thought that was odd. Why didn’t they send it directly to their approved contractor? I found out later when they sent me a 1099 for their 75% contribution. They evidently forgot to tell me I’d get to pay taxes on the part received from them. Live and learn. Their is no free 75% lunch.

Comment

You would win that wager. The farmer down the road claims they paid for all of it, and he couldn’t lease it for hunting for 5 years.

Comment

What letter.

Comment

Originally posted by dbaio1 View Post
                            What letter.
                            ....and what toad?

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                              I’d wager to say you have never done a project with DU. I have and wouldn’t do another one. They contribute 75% and you contribute the other 25%. After the work was done they sent the check to me. I thought that was odd. Why didn’t they send it directly to their approved contractor? I found out later when they sent me a 1099 for their 75% contribution. They evidently forgot to tell me I’d get to pay taxes on the part received from them. Live and learn. Their is no free 75% lunch.
                              Interesting, thanks for sharing your not so pleasant encounter with DU. What a stick up the south end.

Comment

9 most dangerous words . . We're from the government and we're here to help . . Lord help us all . .

Comment

Working...
                                X