Welders - Is This Fixable? Alternative Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welders - Is This Fixable? Alternative Ideas

Moving a tower stand today and this happened?
    It’s been on the property since the 80’s?
    I know nothing about welding not sure we are gonna be able to drag it out of the woods to fix?
    Any alternative ideas/ suggestions would be appreciated.

A welder didn't weld that!

Comment

That would be an easy fix for a welder. If you can get one to come fix it I would recommend letting him weld up the other joints while he is there. I am not sure of the cost but it would be better than dragging in into town and then having to set it back up again. It is doable though. JMHO

Comment

Clean both sides and weld it back up. I would go ahead and grind out the other ones and slap a good weld around them also.

Comment

Mud dobber work.

Comment

Most definitely fixable, it's even an extremely easy fix. But I bet it won't be cheap if welder has to show up in the woods with machine.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
              A welder didn't weld that!
              At first glance, I’m asking myself what in the hell am I looking at??
              And you are correct, a welder didn’t do it!!!
              Fixable?? Yes
              My guess it was a Ag-Coop class project. They did stuff like that back then!!!

Comment

That was a very small bead of short arc…

Comment

Yep, easy fix and I'd be suspect of every other "weld" on that frame too!! The welder was not run hot enough or it was run too fast. There's zero penetration of the base metal on either the floor or the leg. It was just "stuck" not welded... For sure you want to clean and rerun a bead on the other legs too. If it has a ladder, check it carefully too! Hit each step near the joint on each end with a hammer pretty good. don't be surprised if the steps pop loose if it was welded in the same manner as the legs. Good luck with it sir.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                    Yep, easy fix and I'd be suspect of every other "weld" on that frame too!! The welder was not run hot enough or it was run too fast. There's zero penetration of the base metal on either the floor or the leg. It was just "stuck" not welded... For sure you want to clean and rerun a bead on the other legs too. If it has a ladder, check it carefully too! Hit each step near the joint on each end with a hammer pretty good. don't be surprised if the steps pop loose if it was welded in the same manner as the legs. Good luck with it sir.
                    same. it may be hot and not easy but take it down, then to a real welder. and go over each of the first weld. wire wheel and do it over.

Comment

The simplest fix in my opinion would be to bolt it back on. Just take that leg and have a welder clean it up and weld a piece of 1/2 flat bar on it and clean the old weld up on the bottom of the base and then drill the base out and bolt it back on with 3/8 or 1/2" bolts. It wont go anywhere.

Comment

The stand yes. The capabilities of the one who welded it well . . . .[emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
                          The simplest fix in my opinion would be to bolt it back on. Just take that leg and have a welder clean it up and weld a piece of 1/2 flat bar on it and clean the old weld up on the bottom of the base and then drill the base out and bolt it back on with 3/8 or 1/2" bolts. It wont go anywhere.
                          I second this plan!

Comment

Originally posted by JWalker08 View Post
                            I second this plan!

yea except if he's out in the middle of nowhere, he can get some angle iron and bolt it to the bottom of the stand, put the leg back in place and bolt the leg to the angle iron too... no welding needed.

Comment

Elevator bracket

Comment

Working...
                              X