Turkey Plots, a couple of questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey Plots, a couple of questions

Do any TBHers plant for Turkeys? If you do what do you plant?

Thanx ahead, Calvin

I don’t plant for turkeys, but chufa is known to be a turkey plot plant. I don’t know much about it but the QDMA website has info on it. I would think any grain like milo would be great for turkeys, and I wonder about buckwheat. Buckwheat is easy to grow and makes many seeds. Sorry I don’t have definitive answers for you, El Gato probably knows and he’s from LA.

Comment

I have done chufa and the hogs ate it all. You can do a grain mix with millet sorghum and sunflowers but I think the most useful and beneficial plots are winter plots and leave them through spring into early summer for you poults to use for bugging and grain. Wheat, oats, cereal rye, winter peas, clover. Hens need that green lush growth going into the nesting season

Comment

Ok thanx. The reason Im asking, after years of the TPWD planting turkeys in our area, we now have a flock of turkeys! I could care less about turkey hunting, but love to see turkeys on our lease. I really want them to make it and want to provide things they like.

Chufa? That's it! I was trying to remember what it was called.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
          Ok thanx. The reason Im asking, after years of the TPWD planting turkeys in our area, we now have a flock of turkeys! I could care less about turkey hunting, but love to see turkeys on our lease. I really want them to make it and want to provide things they like.

Chufa? That's it! I was trying to remember what it was called.
          Very cool. Yea I would focus on winter plots for them. They will stick around if you have good habitat. Make sure your woods aren't too thick and do some thinning if needed. Small scale controlled burning if possible. If you have the time and resources go ahead and plant some millet and cowpeas now but getting kind of late as moisture may shut off. Or just have your ground ready and plant your winter plots in mid sept. A lot of negative info on supplemental feeding mainly stemming from aflatoxin and feeding in areas that they can be ambushed. Feed in more open areas, away from thick cover. Use low aflatoxin corn and keep an eye on what it looks like when you are putting in feeder. If it looks moldy or suspect it got wet at some point toss it and dont feed to them. Also put some milo in with the corn. They will stick around if you provide for them. When you hear them gobbling in the spring you will feel good about your efforts

Comment

Originally posted by .243 WSSM View Post
            Very cool. Yea I would focus on winter plots for them. They will stick around if you have good habitat. Make sure your woods aren't too thick and do some thinning if needed. Small scale controlled burning if possible. If you have the time and resources go ahead and plant some millet and cowpeas now but getting kind of late as moisture may shut off. Or just have your ground ready and plant your winter plots in mid sept. A lot of negative info on supplemental feeding mainly stemming from aflatoxin and feeding in areas that they can be ambushed. Feed in more open areas, away from thick cover. Use low aflatoxin corn and keep an eye on what it looks like when you are putting in feeder. If it looks moldy or suspect it got wet at some point toss it and dont feed to them. Also put some milo in with the corn. They will stick around if you provide for them. When you hear them gobbling in the spring you will feel good about your efforts
            The bad part, its timber company land and they give a crap less about turkeys or deer. Just across the road, they sprayed a clearcut, killing all the browse for deer and turkeys. Several thousand acres. Did the same thing to my hunting area last season.

Thanx for the info, good stuff. I personally do not use a feeder so none of those issues. Some of the members use corn feeders.

Comment

If you read stuff on quail restoration or food plots for quail, all the same things apply to turkeys.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                If you read stuff on quail restoration or food plots for quail, all the same things apply to turkeys.
                Ok, thanx

Comment

We plant chuffa and chicory for turkey

Comment

Yeah Chuffa was the stuff I was trying to remember. Several have mentioned it. Chicory? Hmmmm, why Chicory?

Comment

Working...
                    X