Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Birch

Comment

LOL. I have no idea, but I`m gonna go ahead and rule out mesquite since no one has mentioned that kind of wood.

Attached Files

Comment

That sure looks stained to me. What does the bottom look like? is there a finish on that?

Comment

I am in the cherry camp.

Comment

I'm voting maple

Comment

I am not a pro wood guru though some that have already posted receive income from working/selling wood products so I’ll consider them professionals. I’ll stick to cherry though I have been proven wrong many times.

Though only a diy’r, I work with a lot of oak, cherry, maple and other woods. Without a shadow of a doubt it’s not oak. If the piece has been stained it could different types.

I don’t do birch other than Russian Baltic plywood so I don’t have a sample, it is a light white wood though. Took a pic with natural wood and there is a sample with a coat of oil on it to bring out the natural color of the species. Bottom to top, maple, oak and cherry. Most will darken with age.
              Attached Files

Comment

Driftwood most likely.

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
                  I am not a pro wood guru though some that have already posted receive income from working/selling wood products so I’ll consider them professionals. I’ll stick to cherry though I have been proven wrong many times.

Though only a diy’r, I work with a lot of oak, cherry, maple and other woods. Without a shadow of a doubt it’s not oak. If the piece has been stained it could different types.

I don’t do birch other than Russian Baltic plywood so I don’t have a sample, it is a light white wood though. Took a pic with natural wood and there is a sample with a coat of oil on it to bring out the natural color of the species. Bottom to top, maple, oak and cherry. Most will darken with age.
                  White oak I might add. Probably post oak but possibly live oak.

Comment

Can you post a pic of the under side if it isn't finished?

Comment

Birch

Comment

Hard to tell with the stain on it. Alot of furniture made with "cherry" is actually made with cheaper birch that is stained with a cherry stain.

Comment

Maple

Comment

Originally posted by Kossetx View Post
                            White oak I might add. Probably post oak but possibly live oak.
                            It’s post oak which is in the white oak family. You mentioned live oak which is in the red oak family. I cut and mill both. Post oak is by far my favorite over live oak. The later is harder to work with and moves a great deal.

Comment

Live oak is neither red or white oak but has properties similar to white oaks. I too mill trees and have for many years. These are all made from post oak. Arborday foundation devieds oaks into 3

groups.https://www.arborday.org/programs/nationaltree/oak.cfm
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Kossetx; 05-24-2021, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper View Post
                                Can you post a pic of the under side if it isn't finished?
                                X2

Good idea here.

Comment

Working...
                                X