Scope ring alignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scope ring alignment

Got to messing around with my deer rifle that I have had for years. Ruger M77 tang safety .270

Worked on the trigger, cleaned it real good and decided I would mess with the scope.

Have the wheeler scope ring alignment bars and lapping bar.

Scope rings are not lined up, close up and down but probably 3/32 out left to right.

I have searched high and low on the internet but no instructions on how to adjust rings that attach directly to receiver the way these do for left / right alignment

Anybody know?

Can you show a pic? I'm not familiar with this set up but if I saw pics I might be able to help

Comment

Try loosing the connection to the receiver, clamp rings on alignment bar and then torque receiver screws.

Now remove alignment bar and re-torque receiver screws and see if alignment holds.

Comment

I have a ruger I was supposed to ship back 3 years ago. Sometimes they're just not square.

3 different leupolds and I've never gotten it zeroed. You can buy a Burris system but I don't want that.

Maybe I should just sell it since I have never sighted it in in 5 years lol

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by forced-2-work View Post
          Can you show a pic? I'm not familiar with this set up but if I saw pics I might be able to help
          Back in the safe but I will try and remember to get some pics tonight

bboswell The alignment bars are 2 separate pieces turned down to a point on the ends, one in back ring and other in front ring

I can try putting the lapping bar in and doing what you suggested but I do not see the rings holding once you remove bar

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
            Back in the safe but I will try and remember to get some pics tonight

bboswell The alignment bars are 2 separate pieces turned down to a point on the ends, one in back ring and other in front ring

I can try putting the lapping bar in and doing what you suggested but I do not see the rings holding once you remove bar

Duh, had lapping bar on my mind and wrote something different....

Comment

[ATTACH]1019270[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1019271[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1019272[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1019273[/ATTACH]

Comment

pic 1 is from the side, pic 2 is looking straight down

Comment

Are the bottom half of your rings set far enough apart for the alignment tools to touch points and become aligned?
                  It is a balancing act to some respect.
                  I have shimmed rings on bases in lieu of sanding(lapping) by using aluminum can slivers to get my rings aligned.

Comment

It is unlikely but I wonder if your action is in a bind/twisted doesn’t look like factory stock just a thought maybe pull the stock and see if it is any closer alignment

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
                      Are the bottom half of your rings set far enough apart for the alignment tools to touch points and become aligned?
                      It is a balancing act to some respect.
                      I have shimmed rings on bases in lieu of sanding(lapping) by using aluminum can slivers to get my rings aligned.
                      Not sure I am following your question but rings have a fixed position on the receiver (location is made into top of receiver)

Asked on another forum and best advice was to buy a rail made to attach to M77

Other option requires a file and a lot of time and fitting trials until you get correct alignment. basically file the connecting point which seems like to get to where I need would take off quite a bit of material.

May buy a set of Leupold rings and see if they line up better

Should have left it alone, ignorance is bliss

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
                        It is unlikely but I wonder if your action is in a bind/twisted doesn’t look like factory stock just a thought maybe pull the stock and see if it is any closer alignment
                        Man, I never would have thought of that. Especially if it's pillar bedded. That could definitely throw a kink in it! Good catch.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                          Not sure I am following your question but rings have a fixed position on the receiver (location is made into top of receiver)
                          Where the rings attach to the receiver(rail) the lugs may not have locked in perfectly, and while they lock pretty good and seem solid. They might not be aligned. What I have did was put shims under the ring to elevate the height to make the alignment tools line up. I would think there would be a machining issue with the rings and rail before the rifles receiver.

Comment

Working...
                          X