Cows knocked my feeder over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigL View Post
    Dang I thought my feeder pen was big at 32' diameter. How big is that one?

I use barb wire on mine. For 8 years it kept the cows out. This spring they got in. The wire had gotten a little saggy because a pecan tree fell on it. I tightened the wire on Monday and think it'll keep them out again.
    i have 12 panels on it but as you can see, a ;lot more than one feeder

Comment

Thank you for the information

Comment

Originally posted by BigL View Post
        Dang I thought my feeder pen was big at 32' diameter. How big is that one?

I use barb wire on mine. For 8 years it kept the cows out. This spring they got in. The wire had gotten a little saggy because a pecan tree fell on it. I tightened the wire on Monday and think it'll keep them out again.
        I did all three of my old pens last week--and am headed to HD to buy a spool of barbed wire to build a 4th on my new place as the landowner just told me he has leased the grazing to the neighbors. Guess I need to stock up on slingshot ammo and make sure I take it to the stand.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
          I did all three of my old pens last week--and am headed to HD to buy a spool of barbed wire to build a 4th on my new place as the landowner just told me he has leased the grazing to the neighbors. Guess I need to stock up on slingshot ammo and make sure I take it to the stand.
          Actually I thought the same thing, but usually they don't hang out in my area too long before moving on. The worst I had was when I was in the ladder stand and one decided scratch her side with my ladder. That had me looking at my safety harness while debating if I should yell, throw something at it, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by AgBass01 View Post
            As others have said t-post at an angle and strap them to the legs.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
            Driving them parallel with the feeder legs is a much safer option. Falling from a ladder while filling a feeder you can easily get injured doing them like above.

Comment

I say, get your revenge...go tip over a few cows. I bet they stop then!

Comment

Originally posted by sharpstick35 View Post
                i have 12 panels on it but as you can see, a ;lot more than one feeder
                Yea I have 2 feeders in mine. Originally I only had 1 in the center, but it died on me mid-season and I had another that I wasn't using so I moved it in there quickly. Now they are side by side and both throw daily. They throw an hour apart. So now if 1 stops the other still throws at times that I'm in the stand. This one is just to keep the cattle out. I don't try to keep the hogs out.

I do have another pen with just the protein feeder in it. That one is maintained to keep everything except the deer out. It's much smaller and easier to keep up with.

Comment

I have cows that get into everything at my place and I found the best thing is to just build the pen a bit bigger so no corn gets thrown outside and they don't seem to take interest to it. Also used some steel remesh fencing that I got when I rebuilt and it is working great.

Comment

More Tposts

Comment

Drive the tee post at the same angles as the legs to avoid being impaled in the event you fall off the ladder while filling. Tie wire or self tapper will keep cows and pigs from knocking it over.

Comment

We use hog panels with two runs of barbed wire across the top. We use 6 panel with a 3 ft gate.

Comment

If you don't want to have to put up a feed pen, try this... Drive a t-post at every leg and wire the post to the leg. Then put 4 or 5 strands of barbed wire around the t-posts/feeder legs. Bottom strand needs to be about 24" off the ground so deer can easily pick up the corn under the feeder. Make sure you put a couple strands around the top where the feeder motor is. That will keep the cows from knocking it over, and they won't knock the motor off the bottom of the barrel either. That has worked 100% of the time for me when I just needed to keep the cows from screwing with my feeders.

Forgot to add.... Once you get the horizontal strands of barbed wire on, put a vertical piece of barbed wire between every leg. Wrap it around each horizontal strand of wire. That will be enough to keep the cows from sticking their heads between the strands.
                          Last edited by Shane; 09-10-2020, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Buy a quality Low and Throw feeder and be done with it.

F cows

Comment

Drive T post at an angle and use muffler clamps to tie to the legs, use a torch and cut t posts off near the feeder legs. Muffler clamps are cheap and can be reused if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter-1 View Post
                                Drive T post at an angle and use muffler clamps to tie to the legs, use a torch and cut t posts off near the feeder legs. Muffler clamps are cheap and can be reused if needed.
                                Very good idea

Comment

Working...
                                X