Cover crops for low-lying areas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cover crops for low-lying areas?

My property up in lampasas got at least a dozen inches of rain this month and is still very, very wet. I have a "low lying" area that, while not underwater and technically swamp, seems to take a very long time to fully dry out. Are there any cover crops you guys would recommend that are water thirsty and the animals (primarily deer) like to eat?

My entire food plot is similar. We are doing a heavy mix of cereal grains like rye, wheat, oats, and triticale, with a mix of clovers and turnips that I’m assuming won’t fare as well well if it stays too wet.

My problems usually pick up around December, and it can stay soggy up until May if it is a wet spring. I am hoping that by having something actively growing, it will help to draw some of the moisture out throughout the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
      My entire food plot is similar. We are doing a heavy mix of cereal grains like rye, wheat, oats, and triticale, with a mix of clovers and turnips that I’m assuming won’t fare as well well if it stays too wet.

My problems usually pick up around December, and it can stay soggy up until May if it is a wet spring. I am hoping that by having something actively growing, it will help to draw some of the moisture out throughout the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      thanks! I sent an email to my local TPWD biologist to see if he has any suggestions as well.

I'd like to be able to spread and forget, though, because tilling it will just invite erosion when I tear up the exsting grasses.

Comment

ttt

Comment

I'm in the Lampasas area and will have my bigger disc back at the end of the month if you want to borrow it. You can use it to just break up the dirt a little, not killing your native grass and sow the seed with a road feeder on a UTV. Pulling the disc will require a tractor though.

Comment

Cereal Rye

Not rye grass

Comment

White clovers do well in poorly drained soils. They will go dormant in the winter months but will flourish the other nine months in damp ground. I had a plot for several years that got under water at least once or twice every year. I saw wood ducks in it at least once.

Comment

Working...
              X