TBH BLOOD DOG TRACKING, TRAINING, & RECOVERY Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bcmuzzy View Post
    Are black Mouth Curs good tracking dogs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Used them for years running hogs. They were top notch finding hogs either cold or warm trail. I know the ones I used to run wouldn't chase or trail a deer. I bet if they would trail a hog they would follow a blood trail of a deer. If your looking to get one be careful who you buy from. Some cab get real gritty and like to catch and some are looser baying dogs. We always ran rough dogs and the hogs did a number on a couple. I would hate to see what a set of horns would do to a dog on a wounded buck.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

How do you preserve deer hides used for blood trail/ deer trail training?

Hello Texans. Im new to the forum after years of lurking. Been catching up on this thread and had a question.

Have a tri lacy pup from Amarillo headed to Baton Rouge next week. Will be getting her familiar with the scents and smells and mock trials this year and wasn't sure how to preserve the hide.

Thanks for the help,

Comment

Originally posted by Lacy Dog View Post
        Hello Texans. Im new to the forum after years of lurking. Been catching up on this thread and had a question.

Have a tri lacy pup from Amarillo headed to Baton Rouge next week. Will be getting her familiar with the scents and smells and mock trials this year and wasn't sure how to preserve the hide.

Thanks for the help,

Welcome! I have a Blue Lacy. They are great dogs. All I ever do is cut the hide in about 6 pieces, then bag and freeze until I’m ready to use it. I try to keep my scent off the hide when skinning it, and get it bagged up ASAP.

Comment

Did you train it to shed hunt?

If so, how'd you do it?

Comment

Question? I am picking up my Jagd pup this week. I want to train it to track, and to retrieve dove and duck. Do I need to one discipline first and then work on the other or can I work one for a day or two and then the other for a day or 2. Never have trained one so I don't know what I don't know.

Comment

TBH BLOOD DOG TRACKING, TRAINING, & RECOVERY Thread

My JRT, Zeke, is pretty green. He does get lots of real tracks though, and I hope he will get “it” at some point. I shot a doe last night that went about 100yds. There was not a single speck of visible blood on the trail, and I really didn’t know where she had gone because she disappeared behind brush 2 steps after getting shot. I put Zeke on the track, and he went right to her in about 45 seconds! It was almost like he was a seasoned tracker! I love seeing him do his thing successfully! I can’t believe I didn’t get a hero pic of him claiming his prize!!! [emoji2959]

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
              Last edited by Bisch; 10-07-2020, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Newest member of the TBH tracking group. This is Jaggie. I have high hopes. She is a hoot so far. Tons of drive. I can use any advice on getting started. This has been a dream of mine for a long time.

Comment

Well first track was kinda a learning experience for both of us. I used deer blood mixed with water. I laid a track about ten yards and put a small piece of meat at the end. She found the blood and stuck her k no one all down in it. Then she laid down and tried to eat the grass it was on. I got her up and she sniffed a little bit and did the same thing. She would find the blood each time she was on the trail. I finally helped her down the trail to the meat at the end. Then moved her back a few feet and she ran to the meat.She is only 8 weeks so any advise on these first tracks would be appreciated.

Comment

Rudy got his first track of the year yesterday. My buddy had been waiting on the right wind to go after his target buck and told me he should have an arrow in him by 7:30. I told him to give me a shout so I could get him on a track. At 7:40 he texted me and said com on. He made a great shot and the track was easier than I wanted but Rudy enjoyed it all the same. 100 yards with three direction changes.

We had to work on his manners at the cleaning rack. He was ok with me touching the deer but no so fond of my buddy.

Comment

So today we are outside getting ready for a party and I walked Jaggie across the trail I laid yesterday. She immediately found it and worked her way to the tree the treat had been. Mind you it was only about 6 Urdu but she did it. Maybe it was to “hot” the first time. How long do you wait between laying down the blood and putting a puppy on it?

Comment

Originally posted by gtsticker View Post
                        So today we are outside getting ready for a party and I walked Jaggie across the trail I laid yesterday. She immediately found it and worked her way to the tree the treat had been. Mind you it was only about 6 Urdu but she did it. Maybe it was to “hot” the first time. How long do you wait between laying down the blood and putting a puppy on it?

For a pup I usually put them on it pretty quick on the first couple. 30 min to an hour. One thing I did to keep mine going down the trail on the first couple was to drop a bloody piece of meat
                        every couple of yard on the first short tracks. They figure out to keep on going as there is rewards waiting for them
                        After they figured it out and started working down it i stopped and just had the reward at the end. I did start them out on just straight liver drags on the first couple though as well. Good luck and good looking pup!

Comment

Thanks I may try a liver drag tomorrow. I am skinning a deer head to do a euro for my dad. I am going to save it for dragging also.

Comment

Woo Hoo I took the head and drug it about 10 yards. I then put a few drops of blood along the trail. I then dropped tiny pieces of deer meat along the trail. After 45 min I took her out to the start of the trail. She followed the trail perfectly. She did not know what to do
                            When she saw the head. I turned it up and exposed the meat of the neck. She tore in to it and chewed on it for a bit. I was soooo excited.
                            How often should I run trails for her to track? Don’t want to over do it.

Comment

Have done several training lines and one mom live track so far. She is 10 weeks. The one thing I am having trouble with is keeping her on the “line”. She wonders back and forth a lot. Just ran a hundred yard track in this cold damp weather. She completed it. It was blood only with good sized gaps. 3 90 degree turns. She got distracted a little but she found her way. Is the not stay on the track an issue at this point?

Comment

Originally posted by gtsticker View Post
                                Have done several training lines and one mom live track so far. She is 10 weeks. The one thing I am having trouble with is keeping her on the “line”. She wonders back and forth a lot. Just ran a hundred yard track in this cold damp weather. She completed it. It was blood only with good sized gaps. 3 90 degree turns. She got distracted a little but she found her way. Is the not stay on the track an issue at this point?

She’s Super young, let the blood sit longer. That should make her have to smell “the line” a little closer due to the aged trail.
                                Make it fun and short at this point. Lots of praise. Tug a war with a hide!!! Lots of praise!!!
                                Make her hunt for her food daily. Use a bell, when she hears the bell she will knows it’s “ dinner time” after she tracks !!

Comment

Working...
                                X