Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-08-2021, 10:58 PM   #1
critter69
Pope & Young

Hunt In: CO and Texas when I can
Default Brisket question

How are you guys getting the black “ crust” on your briskets ? Mine get close but not as black or “ thick” as some I see pictures of on here. Is it the coating or sauté your putting on them, if so would you mind telling me what you use, season them with. My son was down there and ate a place, and he said the brisket they served was the best food period he has ever eaten. I would like to try and better my out come.
critter69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-08-2021, 10:59 PM   #2
skinsfan
Eight Point

Hunt In: Goliad/Medina County

I have wondered the same, I’ve only done two but neither had that crust!
skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-08-2021, 11:02 PM   #3
zr2chevy22
Ten Point

Hunt In: Diboll, TX

All I do is season them with salt and pepper and let the stick burning smoker do the rest. I cooked one today and it came out with a GOOD bark and everyone complmented me on how it tasted although I know it wasn't my best work.

However the sides were AWESOME. Smoked Mac and Cheese and Baked Beans both done on the smoker.

Andrew
Attached Images

Last edited by zr2chevy22; 05-08-2021 at 11:06 PM.
zr2chevy22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-08-2021, 11:08 PM   #4
txhunter-1
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas

Smoke and time. Four ingredients salt, lots of black pepper, smoke and time.
txhunter-1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-08-2021, 11:09 PM   #5
lostbrd
Six Point

Hunt In: Topsey

No foil!
lostbrd is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-08-2021, 11:11 PM   #6
bignick612
Four Point

Hunt In: Fayette, Lee, Victoria Counties

The biggest reason why people don't get a good bark is wrapping in foil or paper for too long or at the wrong time.
bignick612 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-08-2021, 11:18 PM   #7
zr2chevy22
Ten Point

Hunt In: Diboll, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignick612 View Post
The biggest reason why people don't get a good bark is wrapping in foil or paper for too long or at the wrong time.
No wrap here. I have never wrapped any meat that I put on a smoker unless it's in BACON!!! LOL
zr2chevy22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-08-2021, 11:34 PM   #8
Hoyt Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

For the first 3 hours do not open the lid and touch the brisket at all. After that do what you want but stil be careful about wrapping for to long of a time.
Hoyt Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-08-2021, 11:41 PM   #9
stickerpatch59
Pope & Young

Hunt In: gonzales, and....

14 hrs on the pit... low and slow.
stickerpatch59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2021, 12:07 AM   #10
jaime1982
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards Co & anywhere I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr2chevy22 View Post
All I do is season them with salt and pepper and let the stick burning smoker do the rest. I cooked one today and it came out with a GOOD bark and everyone complmented me on how it tasted although I know it wasn't my best work.

However the sides were AWESOME. Smoked Mac and Cheese and Baked Beans both done on the smoker.

Andrew
This looks awesome!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
jaime1982 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2021, 12:30 AM   #11
texasdeerhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:

Andrew
It’s dry.

OP, you gotta run a stick burner to get that “crust” you are looking for.
texasdeerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2021, 02:02 AM   #12
jaime1982
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards Co & anywhere I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
It’s dry.

You mean you can't get that with the outdoor oven? Aka pellet smoker lol.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
jaime1982 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2021, 02:30 AM   #13
Medina19
Eight Point

Stick burner is the best way. Wrap in butcher paper not foil. But you can achieve the appearance of a good bark with Hardcore Carnivore seasoning if using a traeger both these pics are off a traeger

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
Medina19 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2021, 05:55 AM   #14
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default Brisket question

Bark...or crust as you labeled it, is a combination of the rub, the meat’s juices rendering and layers and layers of smoke forming on the surface in the process. You have to have a good blue smoke fire (stick burner preferred), a good trim, a good heavy rub or salt/pepper combination and time to get a solid bark. Bark layers much better on meat than fat and is a reason folks trim. These big fat caps on briskets and pork butts folks neglect to trim are not going to produce a good bark. And since bark is also where most of the flavor is, their product is going to suffer. The better the bark the better the brisket/PB/ribs. One more thing. Grates are hell on bark so I always do the 1/4” trimmed fat cap down. The bark forms so much better when it can layer directly on the top of the actual meat and the thin fat cap can render down and not mess up the layered smoke. When you cut it you also have a cleaner slice after removing the flat from the point.

And I wrap every time. The bark is made before wrapping. Now I don’t wrap until 160-170 internal (never by time). It depends on how the bark is formed at those temps that determines where at 160-170 I wrap. It just takes time and the things I mentioned above. Main reason I wrap though after the bark is set is to push through the stall. Ain’t nobody got time for a 2-3 hour hiccup. You can open the foil pan at the end and tighten it up.

Last edited by Smart; 05-09-2021 at 06:21 AM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2021, 07:02 AM   #15
coker737
Ten Point

Hunt In: My KB Ranch. Rocksprings, TX

Quote:

Andrew
This Is Perfect
coker737 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2021, 07:26 AM   #16
AlaskaFlyerFan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Don't have a place yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post

This picture needs a frame around it.
AlaskaFlyerFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2021, 08:12 AM   #17
mavrick
Ten Point

It funny most say you need a “stick burner”. Some of the best brisket in Texas comes from assisted smokers. They are hidden out of site at a few places but they are being used.
mavrick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2021, 08:22 AM   #18
slomo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Taylor and Nolan county

Cooked on my uds, Kosher salt and restaurant grind black pepper. Using smarts cooking instructions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
slomo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2021, 08:34 AM   #19
K. Lane
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kendall County Texas

Mine always have a great bark on them. I don’t have any pics handy to upload ...I’ll find some later and post em but...

I season with H‑E‑B Steak Blend which is sea salt, black pepper, garlic and paprika

Smoke for 6 hours with Post Oak at about 235

Pull it off and double wrap with pink butcher paper, put it back on until the internal temp where the flat meets the point is 195-198

Keep it wrapped and into the ice chest to rest until the temp reaches 200-203
K. Lane is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2021, 08:34 AM   #20
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavrick View Post
It funny most say you need a “stick burner”. Some of the best brisket in Texas comes from assisted smokers. They are hidden out of site at a few places but they are being used.

Why is that funny? It's the truth for the most part. There is no secret that the best bark comes from natural wood burning pits or "ceramics"....and in somebody's backyard that's going to be the easiest and most common route to that end game.. There are always outliers in everything we do. Somebody can always come up with one.
Old 05-09-2021, 08:56 AM   #21
tpack
Ten Point

Hunt In: Erath

Both of theses briskets I wrapped in foil at about 160 degrees. Finished cooking till tender(around 205 degrees). Rested in a cooler 5-6 hours and then sliced. Seasoning was salt , black pepper and garlic on both as well Top brisket was a stick burner(mesquite and oak) and bottom was a pellet smoker(Rectec). I think the bark on a brisket is way over rated. As long as it has a good smoke flavor and it taste good and tender, I don`t care.

I have eaten brisket a competition cook offs before that had that great looking bark and smoke ring, but the smoke flavor was so strong I wouldn`t eat it.

tpack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2021, 09:00 AM   #22
68rustbucket
Four Point

Hunt In: McMullen County

Quote:
Originally Posted by critter69 View Post
How are you guys getting the black “ crust” on your briskets ? Mine get close but not as black or “ thick” as some I see pictures of on here. Is it the coating or sauté your putting on them, if so would you mind telling me what you use, season them with. My son was down there and ate a place, and he said the brisket they served was the best food period he has ever eaten. I would like to try and better my out come.
Oak wood also helps.
68rustbucket is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2021, 09:04 AM   #23
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gillespie, Kimble

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpack View Post
Both of theses briskets I wrapped in foil at about 160 degrees. Finished cooking till tender(around 205 degrees). Rested in a cooler 5-6 hours and then sliced. Seasoning was salt , black pepper and garlic on both as well Top brisket was a stick burner(mesquite and oak) and bottom was a pellet smoker(Rectec). I think the bark on a brisket is way over rated. As long as it has a good smoke flavor and it taste good and tender, I don`t care.

I have eaten brisket a competition cook offs before that had that great looking bark and smoke ring, but the smoke flavor was so strong I wouldn`t eat it.

Pellet smoker is winning the visual category...which one tasted better?

Backwoods101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2021, 09:58 AM   #24
tpack
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods101 View Post
Pellet smoker is winning the visual category...which one tasted better?

They were both very good. I like the ease of the pellet smoker, but I don`t thing you can beat the flavor from real wood as long as the smoke flavor isn`t overpowering. I actually prefer the challenge of cooking on a stick burner. Maintaining a fire at 4 in the morning , trying to keep the temp low and slow and just the right smoke is something of an art.
Old 05-09-2021, 10:10 AM   #25
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

As mentioned before, S&P is all you need and if you wrap it do it in butcher paper.
Fordnandez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2021, 10:14 AM   #26
Walker
Ten Point

4 hours is as much smoke as you need. After that just keep the temp right for the duration.
Walker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2021, 10:16 AM   #27
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
4 hours is as much smoke as you need. After that just keep the temp right for the duration.
4 hours regardless of size? Legitimately asking the question because I am not expert.
Fordnandez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2021, 10:23 AM   #28
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

My recteq pellet smoker puts plenty of bark for me. And I can spend more time sleeping or putting lime in my beer. =)

Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2021, 10:27 AM   #29
Walker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordnandez View Post
4 hours regardless of size? Legitimately asking the question because I am not expert.
Pretty much. Meat will only absorb so much smoke. I personally like about 3 hours of smoke. And no mesquite smoke. Too acidy/bitter

Last edited by Walker; 05-09-2021 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-09-2021, 10:30 AM   #30
Smart
Pope & Young

Default Brisket question

Quote:

Respectfully disagree. If you want to do the absolute minimum then sure... but to get a true Texas layered bark set then no.

Last edited by Smart; 05-09-2021 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-09-2021, 10:45 AM   #31
Walker
Ten Point

If everybody did everything the same way it would be a mighty dull world.
Old 05-09-2021, 11:06 AM   #32
tpack
Ten Point

Talking

Quote:
Pretty much. Meat will only absorb so much smoke. I personally like about 3 hours of smoke. And no mesquite smoke. Too acidy/bitter

Quote:
Respectfully disagree. If you want to do the absolute minimum then sure... but to get a true Texas layered bark set then no.
Everyone`s taste levels are different. What taste like great smoke flavor to some may taste strong and bitter to others. At the end of the day it`s all about personal preference. I am personally not a "Bark Snob". It used to be, you had to have a great smoke ring, now it the crunchy bark. I personally just want a great tasting brisket. If it has a great smoke ring and a great bark that`s ok, but at the end of the day I`m after a brisket that taste good. But that`s just me.
Old 05-09-2021, 11:10 AM   #33
critter69
Pope & Young

Quote:

Andrew
This is about as dark as mine gets, looks great. But a lot are much darker and just wondering how and what they use, thanks guys.
Old 05-09-2021, 11:13 AM   #34
critter69
Pope & Young

Quote:
How long and what temp. to get a dark bark ?
Old 05-09-2021, 11:31 AM   #35
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by critter69 View Post
How long and what temp. to get a dark bark ?
I don't smoke by time. I smoke by internal temp... When my internal temp is in the 160 deg area I start to looking at my bark. Brisket and PBs will have a stall period that is in that temp area that can be 1-3 hours long and I want to make sure I don't waste much extra time hanging in that period if my bark is right. If my bark is right at 160, I wrap (foil pan or butcher paper)....if I feel it needs to be a little heavier or darker, I'll take it until it gets right. If I have to sit in the stall for a little bit of time I'll do it but I like to wrap to push through it. Don't recall having to wait after 170 deg to get it right so that's why I tell folks 160-170 is when I will usually get it done. Now I have had it right at 150 as well but that was a larger thicker brisket that took longer to get to temp. If somebody held a gun to my head and wanted time, I would say generally 7-8 hours at 250-275 on a 10-12 lb brisket (post trimmed) before wrapping...but every piece of meat is different. That's why I tell folks to use thermometers. It's done when the thermo and the probe test says its done..

I have a write up available in Word Document form if anybody wants it. I have sent it to numerous TBHers through the years as a sort of a guideline for folks starting out or that wanted something to follow or compare to theirs. PM me a mailing address and I'll send it to whoever wants it. Many folks have used it and added their own twists... which is pretty much what I did when creating it.
Old 05-09-2021, 11:42 AM   #36
EarleyBird
Ten Point

Hunt In: Home

Quote:
Bark...or crust as you labeled it, is a combination of the rub, the meat’s juices rendering and layers and layers of smoke forming on the surface in the process. You have to have a good blue smoke fire (stick burner preferred), a good trim, a good heavy rub or salt/pepper combination and time to get a solid bark. Bark layers much better on meat than fat and is a reason folks trim. These big fat caps on briskets and pork butts folks neglect to trim are not going to produce a good bark. And since bark is also where most of the flavor is, their product is going to suffer. The better the bark the better the brisket/PB/ribs. One more thing. Grates are hell on bark so I always do the 1/4” trimmed fat cap down. The bark forms so much better when it can layer directly on the top of the actual meat and the thin fat cap can render down and not mess up the layered smoke. When you cut it you also have a cleaner slice after removing the flat from the point.

And I wrap every time. The bark is made before wrapping. Now I don’t wrap until 160-170 internal (never by time). It depends on how the bark is formed at those temps that determines where at 160-170 I wrap. It just takes time and the things I mentioned above. Main reason I wrap though after the bark is set is to push through the stall. Ain’t nobody got time for a 2-3 hour hiccup. You can open the foil pan at the end and tighten it up.

That looks fantastic!
EarleyBird is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2021, 11:54 AM   #37
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
It’s dry.

Not true! This is on my pellet grill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2021, 11:57 AM   #38
Smart
Pope & Young

Mike D...can you make the pics a little bigger...I can't see in between the grains of pepper and the meat..
Old 05-09-2021, 11:58 AM   #39
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

Quote:
Originally Posted by smart View Post
mike d...can you make the pics a little bigger...i can't see in between the grains of pepper and the meat..
lol!:d
oktx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2021, 12:16 PM   #40
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

Imba twice a year brisket person but I've been able to produce as good a flavor on a pellet grill as a stick burner. The bark is another question but I've never really liked the thick black on the meat as that always seems dry and bitter no matter what wood I try.
I prefer apple wood.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2021, 02:17 PM   #41
White Falcon
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Tx. and Anywhere I can!

Is that a picture of the MOON?
White Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2021, 04:41 PM   #42
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Y'all are going to make me get back in the game. Lol. I haven't cooked a brisket in 3 years due to the cost and it being much easier to buy a pound at the local joints all around us.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Burntorange Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2021, 06:11 PM   #43
doghouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

Mike's pics for us on a laptop.
Attached Images

doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2021, 06:46 PM   #44
Ætheling
Pope & Young

I gotta have bark. On all my beef roasts, smoked or not. Hell even my steak I want charred rare medium rare or seared to a bark in butter on cast iron. The protein development in a crust contains the majority of flavor you can impart on red meat.
Ætheling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2021, 06:48 PM   #45
asu-indian
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Kansas

Quote:
No wrap here. I have never wrapped any meat that I put on a smoker unless it's in BACON!!! LOL
This
asu-indian is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2021, 06:52 PM   #46
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ætheling View Post
I gotta have bark. On all my beef roasts, smoked or not. Hell even my steak I want charred rare medium rare or seared to a bark in butter on cast iron. The protein development in a crust contains the majority of flavor you can impart on red meat.

Yup yup.... bark is the key..
Old 05-09-2021, 07:32 PM   #47
CassCounty
Six Point

Hunt In: CassCounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarleyBird View Post
That looks fantastic!
Yessir! That looks almost perfect
CassCounty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2021, 07:33 PM   #48
CassCounty
Six Point

Hunt In: CassCounty

Quote:

WOW!!!! That looks almost perfect
CassCounty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2021, 07:43 PM   #49
Axe Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnes County

I get better bark if I wrap in paper. I wrap at 165 and pull at 203. Rest is also a huge key most people (me included) don't always utilize. 4 hours or more in a cooler/warmer and it is always better.
Axe Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2021, 10:45 AM   #50
68rustbucket
Four Point

Hunt In: McMullen County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
I get better bark if I wrap in paper. I wrap at 165 and pull at 203. Rest is also a huge key most people (me included) don't always utilize. 4 hours or more in a cooler/warmer and it is always better.
Where do you take temp when it’s at 203, point or flat? My temps always vary considerably between the two.
68rustbucket is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top