Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-21-2021, 08:08 AM   #1
tonyguitarguy
Four Point

Default Can I trust a 2011 F350 with 211k miles????

Still cant wrap my head around paying $25k for a 2011 F350 King Ranch 4x4 6.7L with 211k miles. Is that even feasible? My gut tells me I would encounter some kind of issue with the vehicle in a short while of owning it. Better to look at something with less miles or is there trust with these vehicles?

Looking for a F250/F350/2500HD/3500HD that can haul a 7k-10k travel trailer/fifth wheel in the future. All I have is a F150 right now and dont want to chance towing anything that heavy with it.
tonyguitarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2021, 08:10 AM   #2
DedDuk
Six Point

Hunt In: East and West TX

I know truck prices are high, but, I wouldnt pay 25k for a 10 year old truck with 200k miles. Just no.
DedDuk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2021, 08:13 AM   #3
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

I wouldn’t wish that on my worst enemy.
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2021, 08:21 AM   #4
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

WOW! Heck no and wouldn't even consider it

With that big of a truck(assuming you will be hauling), its a recipe for disaster
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2021, 08:23 AM   #5
tonyguitarguy
Four Point

Hows about a 2015 Silverado 3500 6.6L High Country 4x4 for $45k with 140k miles?
Old 04-21-2021, 08:23 AM   #6
Russ79
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches county, San Augustine county, Beaufort county NC

This is what I am hearing from my Ford dealer- used vehicles are at an all time high because the microchip shortage has made finding new vehicles difficult. I went and talked to the local dealer yesterday because I keep getting emails from them wanting to buy my 2019 F25o gasser and can get a 2021 with a 7.2 for less money per month. I told them I would be interested as long as I don't get under water on they one I am in now- he said right now the problem would be finding me a 2021 model.
Russ79 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2021, 08:23 AM   #7
Leaverrite
Six Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Leaverrite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2021, 08:41 AM   #8
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ79 View Post
This is what I am hearing from my Ford dealer- used vehicles are at an all time high because the microchip shortage has made finding new vehicles difficult. I went and talked to the local dealer yesterday because I keep getting emails from them wanting to buy my 2019 F25o gasser and can get a 2021 with a 7.2 for less money per month. I told them I would be interested as long as I don't get under water on they one I am in now- he said right now the problem would be finding me a 2021 model.
LOL. The trick of saying your monthly payment would be less.

It gets most people! Look at the bottom dollar, trade in, taxes, and interest paid already.
Old 04-21-2021, 09:39 AM   #9
Farmdog
Pope & Young

You remember playing Hot potato as a kid?
Farmdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2021, 09:53 AM   #10
rferg84
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nolan and Fisher Counties

I'm really thankful I bought a new F-350 last June. It was a base package but with replacement bumpers, rhinoliner, B&W Turnover Ball, Fueltank Toolbox, window tint, and weathertech liners I was out the door at $59k. I think they would give at least that now with 11k miles on it. Insane.

I'd wait it out a little longer.

If you are going to do that, I'd go find a pre-2007 (Dodge or GMC) truck and pay the stupid 10-15k they want for them.

I'm a Ford guy but I have owned one old Duramax that I would have driven anywhere across the country that had 280k miles on it when I traded it.
rferg84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2021, 09:59 AM   #11
rferg84
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nolan and Fisher Counties

Also 2011-12 had some issues with overheating that they fixed in the next gen 6.7s.

They also have intercooler pipe failures (easy preventative fix but still need to do it), DEF heaters went out with regularity (they finally did a warranty recall on them it but you are probably out of the warranty time now, I think it was 10 years 100k).

Just a couple of the issues. Also the fuel system is going to start having issues.
rferg84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2021, 10:00 AM   #12
Capt.Brown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Pm sent
Capt.Brown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2021, 10:01 AM   #13
OldRiverRat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Navarro County

Quote:
this is accurate and my understanding is that the auto industry will produce as much as 20% fewer vehicles this year as a result. the market will stay tight.
OldRiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2021, 10:01 AM   #14
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton , San perlita

Just the thought of putting up with death wobble again would have me running
S-3 Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2021, 10:03 AM   #15
Death from Above
Pope & Young

I am hearing that by the last quarter, prices should be getting better.
Death from Above is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2021, 10:15 AM   #16
El General
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke County

Quote:
If they are paying someone to make the deal, it is not a better deal for you.

If they mail you a letter with an offer, that is not a good offer.
El General is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2021, 10:24 AM   #17
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

The thought of paying that much for any Ford even brand new would question a person's sanity.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2021, 10:25 AM   #18
retrieverman
Eight Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

I’m always skeptical buying used trucks especially diesels, because there are too many shade tree mechanics doing “deletes” and other work.
I have a 2011 F250 with 184k and a F350 with 153k (both with 6.2 gas motors), and I wouldn’t hesitate to take off on a cross country trip in either of them. However, I wouldn’t buy someone else’s truck with the same age/mileage unless I know the seller very well.
retrieverman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2021, 10:33 AM   #19
TreyRo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Whitney

These truck posts are my favorite just because there are so many wildly inaccurate assumptions.

My .02: I've had 250k mile trucks that looked and drove new. I've had them with 75k that were almost ready for the junkyard. It's a diesel so if it does need something it's going to be expensive. If you have a very accurate service history it wouldn't bother me to own a 6.7 Ford with 200+ on it but with the understanding that it still might need something. Saying all that, I wouldn't pay 25k for it either.... Probably high teens. Maybe 20 if it was perfect. But the market is nuts.
TreyRo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2021, 10:57 AM   #20
Bryan11
Eight Point

Hunt In: Robertson & Limestone Co

I bought a 2011 F250 6.7 w/ 116K on it in July 2019 and paid $26K for it. If the motor was cared for then the main items you'll mess with are front end and suspension work. But at that mileage i would walk on the price.
Bryan11 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2021, 11:00 AM   #21
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by El General View Post
If they are paying someone to make the deal, it is not a better deal for you.

If they mail you a letter with an offer, that is not a good offer.
Listen to this guy, he gets it
Old 04-21-2021, 11:02 AM   #22
Bucknaked
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lavaca , Edwards & Gillespie counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmdog View Post
You remember playing Hot potato as a kid?
Bwahahahaha- perfect!
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2021, 11:09 AM   #23
twistedmidnite
Ten Point

Hunt In: texas

For what it's worth, I have a 2012 f250 6.2 gas with 207,*** miles. I would trust it to go anywhere you wanted to go and pull a heavy load doing it. I have a 37 foot bumper pull camper that I routinely pull 3-6 hours one way. Don't be afraid of it.
twistedmidnite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2021, 11:14 AM   #24
Bucknaked
Eight Point

I agree with the No way, absolutely not!

Market- I have a 2016 f350 srw king ranch ( 59,000 miles) that is worth more right now than I paid for it including the Extended warranty I paid for! I don’t use it for towing very much anymore and was thinking about getting a half ton but with the market the way it is , half tons are equally pricey and lose their value so quickly! I’m still milling it over but I’m just about over it! My truck is in excellent condition but rides just a little bit too rough :-)
Old 04-21-2021, 11:19 AM   #25
jstamps50
Four Point

Hunt In: Cooke County TX/New Mexico

Way too high
jstamps50 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2021, 11:23 AM   #26
BlackoutRam2500
Eight Point

I know a new one is $85k.... But that is a lot of miles when considering that is where YOU will START from day 1 of your ownership.

If I were you I'd set my budget at $40k and go try to find a 15 or newer with less than 80,000 miles. I'd be willing to sacrifice some of the bells and whistles for less mileage and a documented service history. As others have said since these trucks now have DEF systems it's hit or miss. A few repairs and you will wish you'd spent more and got a newer vehicle.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
BlackoutRam2500 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2021, 11:23 AM   #27
Bdunn
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Why won't your F150 do the job? Throw some air bags on it or something and send it. I'm assuming a bumper pull trailer? I pulled a 31' TT with my '11 ecoboost a few times and it did fine, although I wished I'd had bags. I wouldn't pull the trigger on a new or used truck in this market in any case. Wait till all those stimulus check repos start hitting the yards!
Bdunn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2021, 11:26 AM   #28
jer_james
Pope & Young

There is no way I would pay that much money for a vehicle with that mileage/use.

I have a truck with 210k, but those are my miles, I know them. I wouldn't use somebody else's miles when you start getting over 60-70k miles.

It is a horrible market all around though. Good luck to you either way.
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2021, 12:03 PM   #29
Bucknaked
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdunn View Post
Why won't your F150 do the job? Throw some air bags on it or something and send it. I'm assuming a bumper pull trailer? I pulled a 31' TT with my '11 ecoboost a few times and it did fine, although I wished I'd had bags. I wouldn't pull the trigger on a new or used truck in this market in any case. Wait till all those stimulus check repos start hitting the yards!
Itís good that they will pull but the Stopping part is what will get ya, trailer brakes or Not! No comparison at all - heavy duty diesels ( even heavily loaded ) pull steep grades with limited problems! Heavy duties have larger brakes , more and heavier duty wheel studs ( this is a loading problem with half tons that people do not think about) ! I love the ride of half tons ( empty) but a loaded 3/4 or 1 ton can ride just as well :-) !
Old 04-21-2021, 12:21 PM   #30
Lone_Wolf
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

I'm in the market for a Tundra, and after looking for the past month, I'm going to just wait a year and hope prices come down. It's just stupid right now.
Lone_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2021, 04:12 PM   #31
tonyguitarguy
Four Point

May just have to wait. You guys have to good input. I'm not looking to spend a boatload of money and trading in my f150. Id rather buy something a little older and keep it. they have another model exactly the same but with 159k miles for $35k. If anything, I'll go in and play a low offer and see what happens. Im usually a pretty stick my guns kind of guy so I wont budge off my offer.

*Watch me walk out with a truck* lol jk
Old 04-21-2021, 05:32 PM   #32
dgilbert
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke Co

Heck no!
dgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2021, 05:44 PM   #33
Bish
Ten Point

I just looked at a 2020 f250 4x4 in Sherman with 7,000 miles on it, out the door was little over $77,000.00 my 2008 f250 looks better and better every day, guess there won't be no new truck in the rest of my life time.

God Bless
Bish
Bish is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2021, 05:45 PM   #34
2Lazy2P
Ten Point

Hunt In: NE Texas/SE Oklahoma

High mileage doesn’t really bother me. I drive 45-55k a year. My question is, how much money do you have put back for repairs? Repairs and maintenance will come sooner than later on a truck with 200k miles on it, but once you start repairing things you should be good for awhile assuming the truck has been maintained decently by the previous owner/owners. If you don’t have the money set back for things like front end work, water pumps, or injectors I would pass.
2Lazy2P is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2021, 05:59 PM   #35
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

A 2017 4X4 king ranch diesel 250 with 118k was at 55,750 just feet from where I'm standing. Wholesale at auction

An employee of a large Houston ford dealer just told me the chances of getting a 2021 ford truck are getting slimmer by the day. Ford supposedly said they are going to stop production on 21s and will use what parts they can get to start 2022s in August

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2021, 06:01 PM   #36
Big Lee
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

Supply/Demand at full force plus some
Big Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2021, 07:43 PM   #37
6.5 shooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Montell, Hondo, Laredo

I’m waiting on diesel to get over $4 per gallon, before I buy a new one. That’s how I bought my last one. They gave it away.
6.5 shooter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top