Alligator Gar Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alligator Gar Questions

My brother and I are thinking about an alligator gar trip either in April or May. A couple questions:

1) Is mid April or mid-May usually better?
    2) I see the new regs are that you have to report harvest within 24 hrs and no Bowfishing on the portion of the trinity between I10 in chambers county and the dam at Lake Ray Hubbard without a tag. Did I miss any new regs?

May wanna ask Garguy

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
      My brother and I are thinking about an alligator gar trip either in April or May. A couple questions:

1) Is mid April or mid-May usually better?
      2) I see the new regs are that you have to report harvest within 24 hrs and no Bowfishing on the portion of the trinity between I10 in chambers county and the dam at Lake Ray Hubbard without a tag. Did I miss any new regs?
      Limit 1/day (within any 24 hr. period) and nothing over 48" without a special lottery drawn permit.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
        Limit 1/day (within any 24 hr. period) and nothing over 48" without a special lottery drawn permit.

I wonder if that will apply on private water also? Im sure Steve will be around shortly to give us the skinny on the new guidelines for the Trinity basin.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
          [/B]
          I wonder if that will apply on private water also? Im sure Steve will be around shortly to give us the skinny on the new guidelines for the Trinity basin.

Nope, only for that stretch of the Trinity River... Steve had a great thread last summer of a customer getting a biggun out of private water that was close to or over 8 foot...

Comment

We have some whoppers on our place... been debating on trying to get me another biggun, but don't really have a place for another one... I'd have to be absolutely positive it was over 8 foot before I'd shoot another one... One I got a few years back is 7'7" and I'd a swore it was over 8 when I shot it... As big as it was, shrink gland went off on it by the time Chew's son helped me get it out on the bank and into the trailer!!

Comment

We have some whoppers on our place... been debating on trying to get me another biggun, but don't really have a place for another one... I'd have to be absolutely positive it was over 8 foot before I'd shoot another one... One I got a few years back is 7'7" and I'd a swore it was over 8 when I shot it... As big as it was, shrink gland went off on it by the time Chew's son helped me get it out on the bank and into the trailer!!
              Charlie, you could do a euro. Idk how expensive that would be but it would look cool.

Comment

Yessir, yours definitely looked to be over 8!!!! My biggest is 7'4" and Steve has me on speed dial if one over 8 cruises into the private backwaters. I plan to let me kiddo shoot a few 48" and wait out a BIG GAL this summer!

Comment

Yep question has been well answered. I do know where there may be a whopper in an old gravel pit. I'll keep you posted ,Oscar

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                    Yep question has been well answered. I do know where there may be a whopper in an old gravel pit. I'll keep you posted ,Oscar
                    I have a nice digital video camera....[emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                      [emoji95][emoji1018][emoji95]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

So they use the words within a 24 hr period? I remember when the rule 1st came out people talked about shooting 2 in a night if the 2nd was after midnight.

Comment

Alligator Gar Questions

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
                          So they use the words within a 24 hr period? I remember when the rule 1st came out people talked about shooting 2 in a night if the 2nd was after midnight.

I don’t know squat, but if the regs say 1 in a 24hr period, then shooting one at 11:00pm and another at 1 am would not be legal! That would be 2 in a 24hr period.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Trinity River Alligator Gar Exceptions
                            From the I-30 bridge in Dallas downstream to the I-10 bridge in Chambers County, including Lake Livingston and the East Fork of the Trinity River upstream to the dam at Lake Ray Hubbard:

Only alligator gar less than 48 inches in length may be retained.
                            Daily bag limit = 1.
                            Between one half-hour after sunset and one half-hour before sunrise, no person may take or possess an alligator gar by means of lawful archery equipment or crossbow unless they possess a harvest authorization.
                            Certain areas may be temporarily closed to alligator gar fishing when optimum spawning conditions occur.
                            I don’t see anything about 24 hrs. I just see “daily bag limit.” Wouldn’t that mean you could shoot one at 11pm and one at 1am? Also, the way I read those regs (from TPWD’s website), can’t you bowfish that part of the trinity for alligator gar during the day?

Comment

Also is mid April or mid May better?

Comment

Working...
                              X