Check your neutral and ground lugs !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check your neutral and ground lugs !

So, supposedly the freezing cold we had can make the lugs and screws in your electric panel loosen up on their own !
    Started having problems tripping breakers and under powered microwave, fridge etc. Thought it was a problem with the transformer, so called utility co. They came out checked everything out and said problem was on the inside of my cabin. I thought, no way, it is less than a year old. He said check your neutral lugs etc. opened panel and sure enough every one was loose. Not sure how the freeze affected them, but sure enough it did. After tightening them everything worked perfectly.
    Just a heads up if you are having problems, or might want to check.
    Best of luck,
    Your friend ā€œDā€

We had this issue during the cold snap at the ranch house. Drove me nuts!!!! Finally figured it out and thought who the heck got in here and loosened these up! Lol

Comment

Interesting, I'll have to check ours. Ever since that cold snap, our lights in the house flicker. You can hear the power loss through our floor fan in our room, literally sounds like it drops half power then comes back. Some with the refrigerator. Called our electric coop but haven't heard anything from them

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I have an LED security light that has gone dim on me since the event. Do you think it could be the connections loosening due to the cold?

Comment

Probably has to do with different metals contracting/expanding at different rates (speed, distance, thickness) @ different temps.

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
            Probably has to do with different metals contracting/expanding at different rates (speed, distance, thickness) @ different temps.
            many years back this happened to us in our house. the electrician came out and knew what to do and fixed it in 10 min. He told me it was much more common in buildings that have aluminum wire

Comment

Good tip, have not thought of electrical panel temperature issues, thanks for posting

Comment

Working...
              X