3.8 Million Fish Dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3.8 Million Fish Dead

Texas Parks and Wildlife posted an article this week on their assessment so far of the fish kill from the February freeze. The numbers sound alarming, but it's far better than we first thought!

I put together a video of my thoughts on these findings, as well as a Rockport area update:

https://youtu.be/BOa_S72rSsE

I'm glad we have at least an initial answer to how best to move forward. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Here's the article TPWD posted:

Comment

Thanks for posting this.

Comment

I've been catching some decent reds and trout consistently since I posted this, so the local population seems to be doing ok! I went out before work this morning and hooked into a 30"+ bruiser that ended up breaking me off right as I was trying to land him. Good times!

Comment

The vast majority were not gamefish, but that won't stop the Pollyanna's from crying about people keeping fish.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
              The vast majority were not gamefish, but that won't stop the Pollyanna's from crying about people keeping fish.
              Absolutely! 91% were "non-recreational"

TX Parks and Wildlife are encouraging folks to practice conservations - either catch and release, or keep only what you plan to eat at home. They're not enacting any new restrictions at this time. That seems reasonable to me.

Comment

Comment

Agree most were non game fish. That still does nothing for the trout that were crushed by freeze. I spent the three days immediately following the freeze and we were all devastated buy the trout kill. The trout will take a long time to recover. My guess...just a guess is 7 to 10 years. I just came back from a two day trip today. Zero trout but caught 23 reds over the two days.

If you want to believe the game fish weren't hurt especially the trout. Feel free. I can tell you without a doubt they were.

Comment

TP&W always has accurate information! Top notch agency

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
                      Agree most were non game fish. That still does nothing for the trout that were crushed by freeze. I spent the three days immediately following the freeze and we were all devastated buy the trout kill. The trout will take a long time to recover. My guess...just a guess is 7 to 10 years. I just came back from a two day trip today. Zero trout but caught 23 reds over the two days.

If you want to believe the game fish weren't hurt especially the trout. Feel free. I can tell you without a doubt they were.
                      The game fish were definitely hurt and trout especially but it didn't whipe them out not even close. My cousin just caught his four man limit of trout and Reds out of Rockport last weekend. Have also heard some good reports coming out of the ULM as well. It will be back long before 7-10 years!

Comment

I won't disagree with your statement except the 7 to 10 years. Not even close. I lived through the 83 and 89 freeze and I can promise you within 2 years things were almost normal again. The 89 freeze we recovered much faster.

I am talking about the middle and upper coast. As for the lower coast, I have no idea as I never fish down there regularly.

Comment

You should probably just leave them alone the next 7-10 years so they can rebound. I hear freshwater fishing is where it’s at now.

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
                            TP&W always has accurate information! Top notch agency
                            Haha!

Comment

Lots of trout in SAB this morning. My first time on the water since December. I caught a fish on my first cast and it was non-stop for the son and I. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X