4 wheel drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 wheel drive

Does 4 wheel drive really make a difference in driving on icy roads?

After 48 hours we finally got our power back. So last couple of days to recharge the phones and get some warmth, we'd sit in the SUV.

Monday I maybe saw two vehicles driving on the road by the house. Yesterday, I saw a bunch. Most had 4-wheel drive.

It helped me get up a hill yesterdee in forreston

Comment

Of course

Comment

It just doubles the chance of getting in trouble.

Comment

My papa used to tell me "by the way you drive son, if you get a 4X4 you're gonna need an extra 50 ft of chain"

However, yes they make a difference in my opinion.

Comment

Driving absolutely stopping nope

Comment

If you know how to use it.

Comment

Yes, however it can also give one a false sense of security and you could get yourself in more trouble using it.

ie like in 2wd you doing 15 mph and cross an icy bridge and loose control and bounce off the bride abutment.

Now in 4wd you're doing 40 across same bridge and smash into the bridge abutment

Comment

Absolutely helps driving AND stopping. Engine braking all 4 wheels slows you down much faster and safer. Lane changing with snow ruts is also much safer and easier. If you stomp on your brakes, all bets are off.

I have been using my wife's 4Runner this week (new to us last year). That thing is awesome in all wheel drive. I like my long wheelbase crew cab F250 for the highway because it has less chance of spinning out of control. But in town, give me the 4Runner every time.
                  Last edited by Rush2Judge; 02-17-2021, 03:16 PM.

Comment

4 wheel drive for me means the difference in getting stuck or getting home.

I have not been stuck at all during this ordeal unlike all my neighbors

Comment

Couldn’t get out of my driveway without it !
                      Def a game changer.

Comment

Short answer is yes.

Comment

Heck yeah 4x4 and farm & ranch is mandatory
                          During this weather I could drive any where I needed, and saw lots of 2wd in ditches or stuck on hills

Comment

I had numerous 2wd cars floor it to cut me off and they spun out in front of me or stalled making me stop. I tried flooring my 4wd and I just took off. Couldnt spin my tires.

Comment

4wd linkage broke while I went to the store in my Dodge Dually. Sat spinning at a stop sign and had to be pulled down the road. Got home, fixed the linkage. Now I’ve been pulling people out. Yes it makes a huge difference

Comment

Working...
                              X