Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-11-2021, 07:59 AM   #201
Canoe1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsctx84 View Post
We got a 34Ē after that
Nice fish!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Canoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2021, 09:30 AM   #202
JackRyan
Eight Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorgar View Post
Almost time for me to start getting serious again. I just hope SpaceX X doesn't run my plans so much this year

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
You fish Boca Chica?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
JackRyan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2021, 10:22 AM   #203
gatorgar
Pope & Young

Hunt In: everywhere and anywhere you invite me to :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRyan View Post
You fish Boca Chica?

Yes sir. Closest beach to me and I like how empty it usually is.

gatorgar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2021, 10:48 AM   #204
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Seeing a few sharks being caught already from 61st pier.
Im ready to wrestle with a big one this year
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2021, 10:53 AM   #205
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Webb Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man View Post
Seeing a few sharks being caught already from 61st pier.
Im ready to wrestle with a big one this year
Iím not a shark expert, but seems like the big black tips are thick in the surf around here towards the end of May and June. I plan on trying to do a little more surf fishing this year. Our fishing seems to be down in East Matty, which was expected after the freeze.
panhandlehunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2021, 05:05 PM   #206
JackRyan
Eight Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorgar View Post
Yes sir. Closest beach to me and I like how empty it usually is.

Same here. It's a shame how much access we have lost due to SpaceX.

JackRyan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2021, 08:04 AM   #207
bigdawg
Six Point

Galveston water temp is 69 today, 72 is the number I always use to start seriously fishing for sharks. Its coming soon.
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2021, 06:09 PM   #208
jsctx84
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg View Post
Galveston water temp is 69 today, 72 is the number I always use to start seriously fishing for sharks. Its coming soon.
Weíre close!
jsctx84 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2021, 06:18 PM   #209
arrowsmack324
Ten Point

Hunt In: 100% Public

Quote:
Weíre close!
Chomping at the bit, same here!
arrowsmack324 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2021, 08:58 AM   #210
bigdawg
Six Point

The jacks are sporadic right now but will hopefully get running soon so I can get some for bait. I still have some cownose and bonita in the bait freezer from last year too.
Old 04-13-2021, 11:02 AM   #211
jsctx84
Ten Point

Quote:
The jacks are sporadic right now but will hopefully get running soon so I can get some for bait. I still have some cownose and bonita in the bait freezer from last year too.
If you donít mind, what is your method for catching big jacks? I havnt caught any large ones and would like to start
Old 04-13-2021, 11:32 AM   #212
bigdawg
Six Point

Quote:
If you donít mind, what is your method for catching big jacks? I havnt caught any large ones and would like to start
Go to the jetties on an incoming tide when the water is green its better( they site hunt) I fish the surfside jetties but you'll catch them from most of the jetties between freeport an the north jetty. I use a Diawa Saltist 5000 and a 10' rod and I sling out Spoons from 2 to 4 oz. as far as I can sling them and crank for all I'm worth. If they are running you will see the schools getting close to the rocks and then they move on and others come in from time to time. When they are schooling you will get hit hard and I mean hard and then you just gotta keep them out of the rocks. Thats why I use such a big reel, you can catch them with a smaller one but the chances of them cutting you off in the rocks increases. I like the jetties because you can walk them down when theyre schooling. It does get packed on weekends when theyre running and people are casting over each other all trying to get to them. Wear some spikes so you dont break your neck on the green carpet. take as long a gaff as you got so you can gaff them out of the water. You can catch the off the beach but its alot better on the rocks.
Old 04-25-2021, 06:23 PM   #213
jsctx84
Ten Point

Has anyone used/have an opinion on the Avet MC’s? Talking about the MC’s in particular, not the larger ones.
Old 04-25-2021, 08:03 PM   #214
Canoe1
Ten Point

Quote:
Has anyone used/have an opinion on the Avet MCís? Talking about the MCís in particular, not the larger ones.
I have one, I like it. But if your wanting casting distance, I can easily outcast it with my daiwa sealine. But if I'm tossing a heavier setup and not trying to go far, I grab my avet.

Old 04-26-2021, 07:28 AM   #215
jsctx84
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe1 View Post
I have one, I like it. But if your wanting casting distance, I can easily outcast it with my daiwa sealine. But if I'm tossing a heavier setup and not trying to go far, I grab my avet.

Yes distance is what Iím looking for currently. For the lighter setup with the distance Iím torn between the diawa and the Akios.
Old 04-26-2021, 07:46 AM   #216
SwampBuck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie County

Quote:
Has anyone used/have an opinion on the Avet MCís? Talking about the MCís in particular, not the larger ones.
I stepped away from lever drags for cast out stuff. Sticking with penn fathom star drags and I like them much better so far. Also have a couple of 525ís for lighter duty and theyíre awesome casters.

Iíve also switched over to longer rods for casting. My two heavy hitters right now are a 13í custom and a 12í 10 custom for the fathom reels. They donít start Loading up until you get 5.5 0z of weight and a good sized bait or a solid ď8 and baitĒ on them. Once they load up itís all on me not to booger the cast, if I do my part theyíll out cast anything Iíve had previously with ease.
SwampBuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 07:47 AM   #217
Canoe1
Ten Point

I don't have any experience with the akios, but I do know when I replaced my bearings on my sealine with some boca bearings, that thing will really get it out there. I've got it paired up on an Okuma 10' rod. It tosses a 3oz weight and bait great.

Old 04-26-2021, 07:51 AM   #218
SwampBuck
Ten Point

Really wanting to hit the surf for sharks more this year than I have in years passed.
I started out heavy in it in my early to mid twenties so I’m going on 10 or so
Years now of it. I’ve taken a break here or there due to life and making moves and just getting tired with it but I always manage to go back to it. I like the big game aspect of catching sharks but honestly for me the beach is one of the last few places I can get away from people and set up without having to worry about the idiot next to me. Only real negative about it lately is it’s getting a lot more popular and I fear more attention could get some backlash eventually. Time will tell.

Matagorda is my usual area but
I make the occasional PINS trip also when the timing is there.

Hope to see some of y’all on the sand.
Old 04-26-2021, 01:47 PM   #219
jsctx84
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampBuck View Post
Really wanting to hit the surf for sharks more this year than I have in years passed.
I started out heavy in it in my early to mid twenties so Iím going on 10 or so
Years now of it. Iíve taken a break here or there due to life and making moves and just getting tired with it but I always manage to go back to it. I like the big game aspect of catching sharks but honestly for me the beach is one of the last few places I can get away from people and set up without having to worry about the idiot next to me. Only real negative about it lately is itís getting a lot more popular and I fear more attention could get some backlash eventually. Time will tell.

Matagorda is my usual area but
I make the occasional PINS trip also when the timing is there.

Hope to see some of yíall on the sand.
Post 122 has my truck on it. The black one. Matagorda is the typical spot for us. Youíll most likely see us if you go down.
Old 04-26-2021, 01:51 PM   #220
jsctx84
Ten Point

Quote:
I stepped away from lever drags for cast out stuff. Sticking with penn fathom star drags and I like them much better so far. Also have a couple of 525ís for lighter duty and theyíre awesome casters.

Iíve also switched over to longer rods for casting. My two heavy hitters right now are a 13í custom and a 12í 10 custom for the fathom reels. They donít start Loading up until you get 5.5 0z of weight and a good sized bait or a solid ď8 and baitĒ on them. Once they load up itís all on me not to booger the cast, if I do my part theyíll out cast anything Iíve had previously with ease.
Iím going to put it on a breakaway HDX 13í. I kinda want two. An MC for the heavier stuff and the Akios for a little lighter. The daiwa is tempting but I think Iíd rather buy American/UK gear.
Old 04-26-2021, 02:22 PM   #221
DFA
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cottle and Grayson County

Great thread, I'm hoping I get to go to PINS this year. I've never been, but have been wanting to go fish there for a long time
DFA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 02:24 PM   #222
bigdawg
Six Point

Quote:
Iím going to put it on a breakaway HDX 13í. I kinda want two. An MC for the heavier stuff and the Akios for a little lighter. The daiwa is tempting but I think Iíd rather buy American/UK gear.
If I can give my opinion on Avets ( I have 10 of them) spend the extra money and get the Raptor. The drag on the Raptor is better than the single speed MC and the Raptor is MC also. If you do hook something big you will want that extra drag, the MXL Raptor I believe is like 21# at strike and 31# at full and its a 2 speed reel. The MXL MC single speed is 9# at strike and 14# at full and only single speed. I bought several single speed AVets and have sold them all after replacing them with the Raptors. I have a 9' custom surf rod and can sling 8oz weights and bait 100 yards with the MXL Raptor, Thats far enough for me where I fish. I love the Raptors JMO.
Old 04-26-2021, 03:15 PM   #223
jsctx84
Ten Point

Quote:
If I can give my opinion on Avets ( I have 10 of them) spend the extra money and get the Raptor. The drag on the Raptor is better than the single speed MC and the Raptor is MC also. If you do hook something big you will want that extra drag, the MXL Raptor I believe is like 21# at strike and 31# at full and its a 2 speed reel. The MXL MC single speed is 9# at strike and 14# at full and only single speed. I bought several single speed AVets and have sold them all after replacing them with the Raptors. I have a 9' custom surf rod and can sling 8oz weights and bait 100 yards with the MXL Raptor, Thats far enough for me where I fish. I love the Raptors JMO.
Really good info. I was wondering what the deal was with the raptors and what made them different.
Old 04-26-2021, 03:50 PM   #224
gatorgar
Pope & Young

Hunt In: everywhere and anywhere you invite me to :)

I got this Raptor a while ago. So far, I've only used it twice. My best cast has been about 100yrd with a 4oz weight and a large threadfin shad. I removed that braid and am running 150yrd fin nor braid topped with 80+yard of 40# suffix mono. I prefer mono for casting, but that's just me.
Set it on a 10ft Penn Prevail medium heavy rod. So far I'm liking it.
I'll let you know next time I hit the island and maybe you can show up and try it out

gatorgar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 04:12 PM   #225
jsctx84
Ten Point

Sounds good^^
Old 04-26-2021, 07:17 PM   #226
SwampBuck
Ten Point

Quote:

To add to this, if you plan to use the drag a raptor has then spool the reel accordingly. Without knowing what everyone’s line preference is I say that as a blanket statement. Some guys prefer all mono and consider 20-30lb mono heavy.
But if you’re one of those guys that runs braid in a fashion that’s “heavy for class” then carry on.
Old 04-27-2021, 07:30 AM   #227
bigdawg
Six Point

Quote:
To add to this, if you plan to use the drag a raptor has then spool the reel accordingly. Without knowing what everyoneís line preference is I say that as a blanket statement. Some guys prefer all mono and consider 20-30lb mono heavy.
But if youíre one of those guys that runs braid in a fashion thatís ďheavy for classĒ then carry on.
Great point, too light of braid and you'll bury the line in itself and cause breakoffs when casting. I am one of those heavy for class guys you speak of. I run straight braid on all my reels now except for my 80Ws where I do still run a mono topshot. I run 100# straight hollow core braid on my HXWs, 80# on LX and 60 on MXL and SXs. Still get better line capacity than mono and the strength and castability of braid. I've played with many different line types and sizes and am pretty happy with where I'm at now for the way and places I fish.
Old 04-27-2021, 08:32 AM   #228
SwampBuck
Ten Point

Ditto. Light casting reels I’ll use straight 50 pound braid and sometimes a short shock leader of mono.

Heavy casters 65-80 lb. braid
4/0w and 6/0w’s or 30w’s: 100- 130 lb. braid usually
50w’s: 130-150 lb. braid
80w’s: 150-200 lb. braid

On the bigger reels I usually do 250lb braid topshot. Occasionally I’ll use a 130-150 mono shock leader if the currents not bad.

On gorda I’ll rarely take anything bigger than my 6/0 wides. (Just don’t need them)
If I know I have big baits to run or want more distance I’ll take the 50w’s.
Generally save my 50’s for PINS and I need to get atleast one 80w again if I’m gonna make regular trips there.

Only advice I can really give for guys that are new to using straight braid. Be mindful of the less/no stretch factor. Much easier to pull/straighten hooks when running all braid and heavy drag.

Last edited by SwampBuck; 04-27-2021 at 08:34 AM.
Old 04-27-2021, 09:21 AM   #229
jsctx84
Ten Point

Lots of good line info thanks fellas
Old 04-28-2021, 07:51 AM   #230
bigdawg
Six Point

Quote:
Ditto. Light casting reels Iíll use straight 50 pound braid and sometimes a short shock leader of mono.

Heavy casters 65-80 lb. braid
4/0w and 6/0wís or 30wís: 100- 130 lb. braid usually
50wís: 130-150 lb. braid
80wís: 150-200 lb. braid

On the bigger reels I usually do 250lb braid topshot. Occasionally Iíll use a 130-150 mono shock leader if the currents not bad.

On gorda Iíll rarely take anything bigger than my 6/0 wides. (Just donít need them)
If I know I have big baits to run or want more distance Iíll take the 50wís.
Generally save my 50ís for PINS and I need to get atleast one 80w again if Iím gonna make regular trips there.

Only advice I can really give for guys that are new to using straight braid. Be mindful of the less/no stretch factor. Much easier to pull/straighten hooks when running all braid and heavy drag.
Let me know when you are ready for a new 80W, I'm upgrading to the TRXs this year and have 2 EXW 2 speeds that I will be parting with soon.
Old 04-28-2021, 09:07 AM   #231
joevillars
Ten Point

How much will you be asking for a 80w
joevillars is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 09:45 AM   #232
joevillars
Ten Point

Hey I’m heading to Matagorda the last week in July. I’m looking for 2 big jacks and 2 cow nose rays. I’m would be glad to give you some gas money if you happen to have any
Old 04-28-2021, 10:19 AM   #233
jsctx84
Ten Point

Quote:
Let me know when you are ready for a new 80W, I'm upgrading to the TRXs this year and have 2 EXW 2 speeds that I will be parting with soon.
Nice, post pics when you get it. Thatís awesome
Old 04-28-2021, 12:53 PM   #234
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevillars View Post
Hey Iím heading to Matagorda the last week in July. Iím looking for 2 big jacks and 2 cow nose rays. Iím would be glad to give you some gas money if you happen to have any
Location? We usually try to avoid catching jacks and I know where we can gig some rays to fill a boat full. I might could bring some home if you're nearby.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 02:18 PM   #235
joevillars
Ten Point

I live in Arlington.
Old 04-28-2021, 03:19 PM   #236
bigdawg
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevillars View Post
How much will you be asking for a 80w
I have 2 1 silver and 1 blue spooled with 1500 yds 150# diamond momoi and topped off with 150# mono topshot new line never fished and the reels are in perfect shape. With the Avet reel covers and 4 post rod clamps that I'd sell for 800 each. The reels are 750 new without line or cover and come with 2 post rod clamps most of the time so I think they are easily worth that. Might have a custom roller rod Id let go too if someone was interested in horsing in some beasts. I can text pics if you PM your number
Old 04-28-2021, 06:03 PM   #237
jsctx84
Ten Point

That’s a good deal there
Old 04-29-2021, 08:28 AM   #238
SwampBuck
Ten Point

Wish I could just not in need of one that bad at the moment.
Want yes...need, no
Old 05-01-2021, 05:27 PM   #239
jsctx84
Ten Point

New saltists
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2021, 05:31 PM   #240
jsctx84
Ten Point

New to long distance casting
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2021, 05:35 PM   #241
jsctx84
Ten Point

I also got two breakaway 13’ HDX’s to put them on... now I gotta start practicing
Old 05-01-2021, 06:13 PM   #242
bigdawg
Six Point

Those are nice reels and the breakaway rods are good rods. Ol Nick with breakaway can sling that very set up into the 3rd gut on pins. He's got some good videos on YouTube.
Old 05-01-2021, 06:29 PM   #243
gpena
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywere invited

Nick used to meet up with people at a soccer field down the street from his shop and give out casting tips. Watch you throw and show you what to do to adjust. I think he still does if you call the day before and set it up. He is a great guy to do business with and breakaway rods are top notch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gpena is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2021, 08:21 PM   #244
jsctx84
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpena View Post
Nick used to meet up with people at a soccer field down the street from his shop and give out casting tips. Watch you throw and show you what to do to adjust. I think he still does if you call the day before and set it up. He is a great guy to do business with and breakaway rods are top notch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yes I met with him this morning and he talked to me about what I was doing. I have a long way to go. Thatís ok. Thatís why I went directly to him and not someone that just sells his stuff. Iím anxious to learn.
Old 05-03-2021, 03:48 PM   #245
jsctx84
Ten Point

Headed down tomorrow for about a week and a half
Old 05-03-2021, 04:29 PM   #246
justletmein
Pope & Young

Quote:
Headed down tomorrow for about a week and a half
Dang! Good luck! I was gonna go yesterday and fish this week but would've been by myself so decided it wasn't worth the expense. Gonna make a big trip in a couple weeks then go a few weekends in a row.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:30 PM   #247
jsctx84
Ten Point

Started the trip off with a nice 29Ē
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2021, 03:31 PM   #248
jsctx84
Ten Point

And I am not sure why seems like the majority of the time I post sideways
Old 05-05-2021, 04:21 PM   #249
justletmein
Pope & Young

Quote:
And I am not sure why seems like the majority of the time I post sideways
Gotta lift one foot off the ground and pat your head while posting lol. Nice fish, **** things always gotta be 1" too big or too small!
Old 05-05-2021, 05:39 PM   #250
fish4food
Ten Point

Nice!!! Hoping to get in on some surf action this year.
fish4food is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top