Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-16-2019, 12:29 PM   #1
mr. buck
Six Point

Default Pipeline const time?

So we lease a section of land in callahan county and the pipeline company started surveying work last week to run a one mile stretch of line right thru the middle of the property. It goes right by two of our blinds. Unfortunately they are running a very large access road right by our other two setups so our season is shot as long as they are working.

My question to those with experience is how long will they take to run one mile of pipe once they start laying it? And how long until the deer show back up?
mr. buck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 12:42 PM   #2
Rwc
Pope & Young

First, I hate to hear the timing of the construction. Lone Star Gas did the same thing almost the same time last year across a small section of land on my river grounds. From the time they started clearing the right-of-way to the time they finished the reclamation was 6 months, including weather days. They did not work the week of Thanksgiving nor did they work the week of and after Christmas.

It bothered the deer while they were in there working, but seemed like as soon as it quieten down, animals came right back.

Rwc
Rwc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 01:19 PM   #3
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever the wind takes me......

They are pushing cedar on the place I hunt and right now they are pushing cedar right where one of my sets up are. I was fully aware that it was gonna happen and it is a free place to hunt so no complaining from me. What I have learned is that by getting the blind while they are working hides the noise I make getting in. They are usually done before or right when my feeder goes off. The deer and pigs show up like clock work.
bowhuntertex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 08:40 PM   #4
mr. buck
Six Point

Thanks for the response guys. Just found out the major access road will not only be used to access our property while laying the one mile of new pipe, but also multiple adjacent properties to our east to do the same. Could be a long process. Our landowner is a great guy though and took care of the season lease fees.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:43 PM   #5
Grulla
Ten Point

Hunt In: Guadalupe River

If the construction company is worth a **** 5000’ shouldn’t take them but a couple weeks .
Grulla is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 08:51 PM   #6
profish2004
Six Point

Hunt In: Leon County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grulla View Post
If the construction company is worth a **** 5000’ shouldn’t take them but a couple weeks .
^^^^This and the animals ain't going no where.
profish2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 09:18 PM   #7
hpdrifter
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere I can

A mile shouldn't take too long. I was inspecting on a 3.x mile tie line and it took about 5 weeks(as well as I can remember), start to finish and it was a muddy mess.

When I first went into Pipeline work(Mobil), one of the first jobs I was on was installing a new valve on a 12" gasoline/diesel line. Had to cut in a stopple fitting to seal off the flow and we had to lower the line for a 1/4 mile or so.

The whole time machinery was working there, deer were running the the woods like they just had to see what was going on. We saw deer every day we were working there.

Maybe it won't disrupt things too awfully bad.
hpdrifter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 09:51 PM   #8
Bh_liberty
Ten Point

You sure it’s only a one mile line? There’s some major projects about to start in that area. Or is it only a mile across your property?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bh_liberty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 10:05 PM   #9
mr. buck
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bh_liberty View Post
You sure it’s only a one mile line? There’s some major projects about to start in that area. Or is it only a mile across your property?

its way more than a mile line in total, but just a mile across our property. we are about two miles north of 20 so you probably have an idea of what project it is. Guess it could be worse and we couldve been hunting the land that had the crez power line built through it a few years back!
Old 10-16-2019, 10:08 PM   #10
Philip-TX
Ten Point

Ask the landowner, the company should have informed them. (Or they should have asked)
Philip-TX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 10:18 PM   #11
Bh_liberty
Ten Point

That line runs from Kermit to cleburne. Spread 3 runs thru your property which is about 90 miles. Your looking at around 6-8 months start to finish. You will be surprised how little it really bothers the wildlife

Bh_liberty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 11:54 PM   #12
thebowhunters
Ten Point

Hunt In: Concho Co.

If they are just know surveying you have a while before construction starts.
thebowhunters is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 07:02 AM   #13
Palmetto
Ten Point

It wont be as bad as you think. I went to a friends place in south Texas back during the Eagleford boom. An oil company was digging a caliche pit about 1/4 mile from camp, and had setup some truck scales about 300 yds from camp. It was terrible. They were running wide open from day light to dark! Truck after truck. it was annoying. They had 2 huge dozers pushing rock, and 2 huge payloaders filling belly dumps. You could hear that rock crashing into the bellydumps all the way across the ranch.

Anyway, the hunt ended up being great. One of the blinds was right next to the pit, and a guy shot a 165" buck one morning! We saw turkeys everywhere, and the deer acted like nothing was wrong. It was crazy.

I can still here those reverse alarms beeping......
Palmetto is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 07:33 AM   #14
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton , San perlita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto View Post
It wont be as bad as you think. I went to a friends place in south Texas back during the Eagleford boom. An oil company was digging a caliche pit about 1/4 mile from camp, and had setup some truck scales about 300 yds from camp. It was terrible. They were running wide open from day light to dark! Truck after truck. it was annoying. They had 2 huge dozers pushing rock, and 2 huge payloaders filling belly dumps. You could hear that rock crashing into the bellydumps all the way across the ranch.

Anyway, the hunt ended up being great. One of the blinds was right next to the pit, and a guy shot a 165" buck one morning! We saw turkeys everywhere, and the deer acted like nothing was wrong. It was crazy.

I can still here those reverse alarms beeping......
My thoughts to

I have had pipelines come by , and drilling rigs within 100 yards of my stands
And still have plenty of game coming in
I think the noise and activity bothered me more than the deer ( it is daily activity for them)
Pipeline is fairly fast unless lots of weather days are used ( I think 3 miles every 6-8 weeks) “ someone please correct me if my numbers are off”
S-3 Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 07:44 AM   #15
RWB
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon County

Wish we had y'alls pipeline crews.....have leased our place for over 20 years with 3 pipelines over that time. Every time they say "will be done by deer season" but never have been. Always takes 9 months or more from when the surveyors start running all over to when they pull up the silt fence. They cross about 1000 yards on our place.
RWB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 08:03 AM   #16
thisisbeer
Four Point

It may not be to bad. Remember crews won't be working on your property for the duration of the entire line. Usually pipeline works 6 days a week. Sundays may be a good day to hunt unbothered if they are close by. I've seen tons of deer on ROWs all over Texas. It doesn't run them out like you think it would. Any big construction work shouldn't be more than a c4-5 cumulative weeks on your property. People may be passing through in the meantime. All the tasks will be done by different crews at different times survey, trench, lay pipe, weld pipe, coat welds, put pipe in the ground, weld pipe in the ground, coat new welds, backfill, and finally restoration.

There SHOULD be undisturbed time somewhere in there. Talk to the guys if you see them out there. They should be able to give you some information.
thisisbeer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 08:28 AM   #17
Bud Ellis
Eight Point

Hunt In: Atascosa, county , Anderson county

the construction doesn't effect the deer . but depending what the owner states in the agreement will depend if the work during hunting hours you need to check into that immediately . try and get that put into the language with the land agent .
Bud Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 09:04 AM   #18
Kdc
Eight Point

They started clearing the right away through our lease about 2 weeks before the season opener, it's a little over a 2 mile stretch. From what they told the land owner, they should be through by January, but at the rate they're moving, it wouldn't surprise me if they were finished by mid November. Thus far, I can't tell that it's hurt the hunting any at all, the line is running right beside 2 of our stands, I'm sure the deer are a little spooky around those 2, so we just avoid hunting in them.
Kdc is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 09:18 AM   #19
thebowhunters
Ten Point

Hunt In: Concho Co.

Your lucky you can hunt at all. We have the Wind Turbine people playing on my lease and they have a zero Hunting policy when they are present.
thebowhunters is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 10:29 AM   #20
Slew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: nowhere close to home

I used to sit on the skidders when they were logging our old lease in Louisiana growing up when they weren't working! Seemed deer liked the landings they would clear out to load logs.
Slew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 11:20 AM   #21
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Polk/San Jacinto

I have some old pictures somewhere of deer crossing the 15ft high topsoil mound that they had piled up on the edge of the ROW during construction. It didn’t seem to bother them, only problem is they were eye level with me in the Tripod when they made it to the top.
AgHntr10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 12:38 PM   #22
coldgas
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hemphill Co

Same as everyone else said. It won't bother them as bad as you think. I had this happen to me one year and I shot one of my better deer in the ROW and he almost fell into the ditch. The ROW went right though the middle of our lease for 2 miles.
coldgas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top