Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-31-2019, 10:05 AM   #351
sunsethunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj7zrcool View Post
Just before Christmas 1995. My wife@thetime and our best friend couple were going to do some Christmas shopping in Ft. Worth and have dinner. Did that and on the way back home both of the wives decided that they wanted to have a drink at the small local watering hole. The husbands were kinda against it since we had plans to go duck hunting the next morning and it was already getting late. We went anyway. We had a few and as we were leaving, my wife@thetime hears someone hollering at her. She's from there and knows everyone so I thought nothing of it and continued to the truck. A minute later I hear her hollering that "oh yeah, I'll whip YOUR ***". I dash over to see WTH is going on and there's some drunk dude in a running truck jawing with her. I decide that he was out of line and reach through the open door to jerk him out of the truck and let him know how I feel. As I do, he floors it and we take off backwards across the bar parking lot at a fairly high rate of speed. We sandwich me between his truck and the rear of another and as he pulls forward to get away he rolls over my left shoulder. Truck won't go so he bails and runs into the bar. Cops come for him & ambulance for me. I end up with 7 broken ribs, punctured lung, bruised heart, torn cartilage in my hip, elbow, & shoulder and a coupla broken fingers. There's nothing quite like the feeling of having your chest cavity so full of air that it won't let your lungs work. When that ER doc cut between those ribs and through the side of my chest wall, it sound like you stuck a knife in a car tire....and it felt SO good. Three months later I was as good as...used.

What city was that in? I'm surprised the medics didn't decompress your chest before the hospital
sunsethunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2019, 10:58 AM   #352
kck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fayette, Colorado and Maverick County

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sdad View Post
Getting married!
I did it twice! I'm kind of an adrenaline junkie...
kck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2019, 11:25 AM   #353
Huntsman27
Six Point

Hunt In: Brownwood, TX

I may have shared this story in another thread. As I type it feels familiar, if so I apologize.

On October 31st, 1986, our company took some folks on a hunt on a company deer lease and I was one of the guys that helped host the event. Four of us were in the pasture checking feeders and deer stands Two in an old suburban and me and another guy were in a pick-up. The guy driving the suburban got off the road into a stand location and got stuck, the rear wheels dropped off in a ditch.

I was using a high lift bumper jack on the rear bumper and placed some logs and rocks under the tires to drive it out. When I went to lower the jack I kicked the switch with my boot and pushed the jack handle down and my gloved hand slid off the the handle. The weight of the suburban sprung the jack handle up and hit me under my chin shattering my left mandible. Although it didn't know me off my feet I seem to remember being semi-conscious. It took 3 surgeries, two plates, seven (i think) screws and I had my mouth wired shut 3 times for a total of 18 weeks.

The doctor told me had it hit me in the temple it would have killed me. It was a close call and I have a healthy respect for those types of jacks and will only use one as a last resort, I keep some wood and a floor type jack in my truck at all times now.
Huntsman27 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2019, 12:07 PM   #354
Pigpiggy
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman27 View Post
I may have shared this story in another thread. As I type it feels familiar, if so I apologize.

On October 31st, 1986, our company took some folks on a hunt on a company deer lease and I was one of the guys that helped host the event. Four of us were in the pasture checking feeders and deer stands Two in an old suburban and me and another guy were in a pick-up. The guy driving the suburban got off the road into a stand location and got stuck, the rear wheels dropped off in a ditch.

I was using a high lift bumper jack on the rear bumper and placed some logs and rocks under the tires to drive it out. When I went to lower the jack I kicked the switch with my boot and pushed the jack handle down and my gloved hand slid off the the handle. The weight of the suburban sprung the jack handle up and hit me under my chin shattering my left mandible. Although it didn't know me off my feet I seem to remember being semi-conscious. It took 3 surgeries, two plates, seven (i think) screws and I had my mouth wired shut 3 times for a total of 18 weeks.

The doctor told me had it hit me in the temple it would have killed me. It was a close call and I have a healthy respect for those types of jacks and will only use one as a last resort, I keep some wood and a floor type jack in my truck at all times now.
Yes, those things can be very dangerous. The original, made in USA versions are better, but must be kept lubricated. I had my own scary lesson with one, though I wasnít injured. When the ranch truck came crashing down, after the jack first shot out from underneath it, the realization of just how close I came to being buried at an early age flashed in my head. That was the end of my attempt at using that particular jack.
Pigpiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2019, 12:08 PM   #355
huntingfanatic
Ten Point

Hunt In: Parker County

Buddy and I are wading out after a duck hunt. All evening long we had been hearing rifle shots way off in the distance but didnít think much about it. We are about a yard apart wading out with him
in front. All of a sudden there is a high pitch buzz go right between us. I can feel the air moving. Before either of us can react a second one passes about 6 inches in front of my nose. As Iím hitting the water I can here the rifle reports in the distance. We are both now laying down in the water with just are heads sticking up. We crawled about 75 yards through the water and mud to a nearby tree line and waited about 20 minutes for anymore shots. Finally made it out of there to the truck. Going back for our stuff the next day was still nerve wracking
huntingfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2019, 12:33 PM   #356
SnJGuin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harrison

I got married!
SnJGuin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2019, 12:41 PM   #357
cj7zrcool
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Atoka County OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsethunter View Post
What city was that in? I'm surprised the medics didn't decompress your chest before the hospital
Cleburne TX. I had been an EMT a few years prior and KNEW I had a punctured lung...and told 'em so. They said I didn't and wanted to argue about it. Glad the hospital wasn't too far away.
cj7zrcool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2019, 12:48 PM   #358
Mark44
Pope & Young

Hunt In: lease - SW Arkansas; Delphos, KS

I'm 54.

Did Camp Gladiator on and off for the last several years. Got real serious in 2017-2018 and was hitting it hard (3-4x a week). Best shape of my life. In May 2018 I'm running with a 20 pound sand bell on my shoulder, flipping tires, doing burppees and all kinds of craziness in a parking lot. It's 95 degrees and hot! Suddenly I feel like there is a belt around my lungs. Can't get all the way to the bottom of my lungs and get that breath I need to "catch up." Didn't stop the workout. Solid hour of really pushing and really struggling to keep up.

Got home. Told wife "something is wrong with me, I feel like someone is spreading my ribs wide open. Can't get my breath like I want to." She wanted to go to the ER. I told her no because I had done a complete cardiological workup six months earlier (history of heart disease in my family). Doc has me on meds. I'm good.

Most of the pain went away now that I wasn't running and jumping and carrying sand bells. But still there. Did some googling to find any thing it could be besides what it was ... Decided to go to the cardiologist in the morning and ask him what was up.

THAT WAS REALLY DUMB. I should've gone to the ER. Was worried I would have to sit in the ER with people coughing all over me and I'd get sick. Well, friends, when you're having chest pain you go to the head of the class! #dummy

Saw cardiologist in the morning. He couldn't believe it when he saw my EKG. Massive heart attack with 100% blockage of the LAD. The famed "widow maker." Only 1 in 3 survive this heart attack and I walked it 15 hours. Talk about God's grace! They whisked me next door to the hospital and the cath lab, popped a stent in me, and I'm all fine. No damage. Now, after my last cardiologist visit, he did a sonogram and said you can't even tell I ever had a heart attack.

But my diet has changed big time (hello plant based diet). And, in the words of my cardiologist when I asked him how I could have a HA when doing a big time workout like CG ... "That's a YOUNG MAN'S WORKOUT." Gulp! So my workout routine has changed too.

That's my story. If it wasn't for the Lord I wouldn't be typing this. Can't believe it happened. Can't believe I lived through it.

Last edited by Mark44; 01-31-2019 at 01:19 PM.
Mark44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2019, 01:14 PM   #359
Dakota7493
Ten Point

Hunt In: Erath County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman27 View Post

I was 19 and switching a grain swather from road mode to field mode. I had the tongue jacked up with a handy man and I went to lower it. Next thing I know Iím looking up at the sky with my uncle looking down at me. Felt like I had a mouthful of sand. Uncle said it hit me under the chin with my hand still on it. I slowly tipped over backwards and was out for a minute. That ďsandĒ in my mouth was my teeth. Fractured and shattered five teeth on my left side.
Dakota7493 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2019, 01:49 PM   #360
quackaholic1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cass county

February 2016. In hospital for almost a month. Kidney function went down to less than 5%. Dr told my mother to leave hospital and make arrangements for me go home to the Lord. Mama refused!! Lol. I was more than ready to go home. My mother told me one evening that a mother should not bury her son. I thought hard about that all night and decided to fight as hard as I could to make it. Fifteen days later I walked iut if the hospital.
quackaholic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2019, 01:58 PM   #361
bownut
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County and Colorado

When I was a kid I got run over by Dad. He came home from work and he did not see me duck behind the car. I was going to try and scare him. He wasn't finished parking and he backed up over me from my feet all the way to my shoulders. Second. My brother shot me with an arrow when we were playing cowboys and Indians. He won. I went to hospital, he shot me in the head. I can laugh now but I know God was watching over me.
bownut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2019, 02:04 PM   #362
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

I had another near death experience last night- Asked my wife if she needed bigger stretchy pants- I guess she didn’t get the joke
glen is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2019, 02:28 PM   #363
Worksalot
Ten Point

Hunt In: The woods

^^^^^ You are one heck of a brave man. Not sure how you sleep so well with one eye open now.
Worksalot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2019, 02:57 PM   #364
newmathewsfan
Six Point

Hunt In: Callahan County/Val Verde County

November 21, 1978. I'm a senior in HS working and after school job on a farm along the Colorado river in Ballinger TX. I was unloading silage into a silo when my right pant leg got caught in the PTO shaft of the tractor I was using. wrapped me up like a string around a stick, all the way to my groin, and stalled the little tractor I was using. Couple hours later, the woman I was working for found me and called the ambulance. Ambulance got lost trying to find me (we were way out in the sticks). Long story short, finally made it to hospital in San Angelo where they amputated my right leg above the knee. 19 units of blood and 28 days later, I was discharged from the hospital in a wheelchair. I got to celebrate my 40 year anniversary last November and still don't know why God didn't take me home when he had such a good opportunity.
newmathewsfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2019, 03:07 PM   #365
Patriot-2000
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, Texas

After the 1st Iraq war .. Got deployed to Somolia as part of a special unit ... Got shot at and someone used a David & some kid got me in the head with a rock from a David & Golieth sling shot ..
Patriot-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2019, 03:54 PM   #366
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot-2000 View Post
After the 1st Iraq war .. Got deployed to Somolia as part of a special unit ... Got shot at and someone used a David & some kid got me in the head with a rock from a David & Golieth sling shot ..
Wow. I'm glad you made it home. Thank you for volunteering to serve and to step up where not enough people do.

I was going to post something but after reading this, I'll put my story back in my pocket and say another prayer for you and your brethren.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2019, 04:01 PM   #367
DTala
Ten Point

toss up which one...

in college I roomed with a guy that ended up on death row in Tn for two counts of murder. Always knew he was a little off...

second ex-wife tried to kill me TWICE, second time sent me running. BIG fillet knives in the hands of an crazy woman scare the heck out of me.
DTala is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2019, 04:08 PM   #368
txhunter007
Ten Point

Hunt In: Motley County

I was dating a twin in high school and asked her if it would be ok if I asked her sister to join us. I learned that she didn't have a developed sense of humor.
txhunter007 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2019, 06:49 PM   #369
Huntingfool
Ten Point

reading all these post brings me to one conclusion - everyone get on your knees and thank God above for sparing you to live another day - each and every day we wake up and take in a breath of air is a blessing
Huntingfool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2019, 09:17 PM   #370
Ruark
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere close by

OK thanks Tractor PTOs, HiLift jacks. Many people don't realize there are 10,000 ways to end up in the ER or morgue with those things. Go slow, relax, think.

Last edited by Ruark; 02-04-2019 at 09:59 PM.
Ruark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2019, 09:41 PM   #371
Ruark
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere close by

Haven't had disasters like in some of these stories. Had some hairy close calls, though.

Once my cousin was getting some archery practice. I stepped out a door - he didn't know I was there - and the vanes on the arrow brushed across the bridge of my nose.

My motorcycle went down on a low water crossing on CR 12 near Pedernales Falls. I woke up flat on my back in the middle of the road next to a tight curve. I'm a card carrying member of the "I'm alive today because I wore a helmet" club. Sold the bike.

Was alone, about 20 miles offshore off Port A in my 18 ft. Robalo, drifting for kings. Looked up and a freighter the size of Kansas was coming straight towards me, about 200 yards off. In my panic, the motor wouldn't start. I gave it full throttle, turned the key and VROOOOOM it roared to life and that freighter missed me by less than 100 yards.

Another motorcycle story. Pulled into an intersection, peaceful 30 mph residential area. Some kid doing about 60 ran the stop sign crossing my street. Didn't even slow down. I swear he passed within an inch of my front tire.

More stories later, I'm sure.

There really must be guardian angels, ya think?

Last edited by Ruark; 02-04-2019 at 09:48 PM.
Ruark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2019, 12:32 PM   #372
huntingjunkie
Eight Point

Hunt In: TX & OK

Had a guy stick a pistol in my chest on the golf course because he thought that my brother-in-law stole his golf ball that went in the creek we were near. A fight pursed and while on the ground and gaining control of the gun, he pulled the trigger firing the gun just under my chin. Luckily the empty cartridge stayed lodged in the gun so it wouldn't fire again. Got control of the gun a few seconds later and choked him out until he wet his pants. Had it not been for my buddy who was with us, and got me to let him go, I had full intentions of him never seeing the light of day again. Come to find out, not only did he have a gun in his golf bag, but he also had a bunch of meth. Needless to say, he wasn't in his right mind. This was 19 years ago in Mesquite, TX. Haven't returned to that golf course since that day.
huntingjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2019, 12:39 PM   #373
bullhead44
Ten Point

I was recently running in the mountains near fort collins colorado. It was a nice peaceful day and I was enjoying my run when out of the corner of my eye I noticed a flash of beige. A mountain lion had attacked me from the side. Luckily, I was able to fight him off and kill with my bare hands!
bullhead44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2019, 12:41 PM   #374
huntingjunkie
Eight Point

Hunt In: TX & OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullhead44 View Post
I was recently running in the mountains near fort collins colorado. It was a nice peaceful day and I was enjoying my run when out of the corner of my eye I noticed a flash of beige. A mountain lion had attacked me from the side. Luckily, I was able to fight him off and kill with my bare hands!
Greatness!
huntingjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2019, 01:01 PM   #375
Tx.Fisher
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerr, Gaines

I had a jack stand fail about 10 seconds after I got out from under my truck, I was by myself and I would’ve been crushed to death. Looking back on it, was stupid of me to only use one jack stand. Now I use 2-3 jack stands, plus the jack whenever I get under a vehicle.
Tx.Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2019, 01:08 PM   #376
keng
Four Point

Hunt In: pa, georgia,texas

27 years ago, my girlfriend told me she was pregnant. I asked, "whose is it?"
keng is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2019, 01:12 PM   #377
AndrewIBEW
Four Point

Hunt In: Votaw

Was getting ready to terminate a 480v 115 Kva transformer and was cutting the feeders with a bandsaw when the blade crossed the phases and blew up in my face. Come to find out someone hooked up the wrong breaker on the line side and had it turned on. Luckily I had safety glasses and gloves on. The glasses were full of molten copper and the gloves saved the skin on my hands. The bandsaw was shot. Angry was an understatement as to what I was, and I was sent home with pay for the day.
AndrewIBEW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2019, 01:32 PM   #378
BDKeeling
Eight Point

Default What is the closest you have come to death?

Massive aortic dissection in 2014,Drs gave me a less than 1 percent chance of making it through surgery. Dissection was 8 cm and full length of the aorta all the way to the iliac.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by BDKeeling; 02-05-2019 at 01:54 PM.
BDKeeling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2019, 01:58 PM   #379
SCREAMINREELS
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brenham, SHNF

Was hit by a car when on a bike that put a small crack in my sternum. Walked away from it and was taken to ER.

Missed by a few inches with buckshot by a police officer that thought I was a thug with a gun at my job when there were about 6 of us playing airsoft in the shop. O stepped out to reload and get cover. Never saw him and he fired when my back was towards him. He saw a plastic airsoft gun on private property and assumed I was robbing the place. I was very lucky. Only thing that saved me was he was in the parking lot on other side of chain link fence and it was a pretty good distance....and he's still a cop. Buckshot went through the tin on warehouse near plenty of combustible material like propane racks for forklifts. White guys get shot at too lol

Been robbed at gunpoint guess I'm cursed and lucky
SCREAMINREELS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2019, 02:10 PM   #380
Lynn21
Ten Point

Hunt In: Childress, Tx

I almost drowned pulling my little brother out of the deep end of a pool. Lifeguard saved us both.
Lynn21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2019, 02:14 PM   #381
Slow&Steady
Six Point

Hunt In: Whatever public land I can find game on.

I've had a few close calls.

1)Jumped in the water twice as a child with no flotation and no ability to swim. Saved by dad once. Self rescued by pulling myself to the bank with hydrilla the second time.

2)Duck hunting in high school in an oxbow off the Neches River. I waded out to get a duck and stepped off a drop off. My chest waders filled and drug me down. The only thing that saved me was finding a laydown to climb out on.

3) In '03 during the invasion of Iraq, I was a CH-47 crewman. We were shot at a few times, but nothing too bad. One day on mission we missed a set of powerlines by less than 10 feet. The pilot spotted them late and pulled up hard to avoid them. We were about 50 feet off the ground flying over 150mph.

4) Back in Iraq in 2006, I was out on the open tarmac of the flightline after doing some aircraft maintenance. We came under 120mm mortar fire, and I had nowhere to go. Six rounds hit the tarmac, damaging 14 aircraft. A seventh fell in a guy's hooch with him sleeping inside. Fortunately I made the 100 yard run to the bunker. I think the poor guy in the hooch got messed up pretty bad. Not sure if he survived.

5) A year or two ago, I was driving 70mph on the highway at 3:00am on the way to go duck hunting. I was very groggy and having trouble staying awake. Fortunately I was just alert enough. There was a disabled vehicle in the center lane in a darkened area of a 3 lane highway. I was driving in the center lane. There were no blinkers, flares, or reflectors. I saw it just in time to swerve. I missed it by only a few feet.

Kinda feel like I have used up 8 of my nine lives LOL
Slow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2019, 02:58 PM   #382
jds247
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper county newton county and sabine county

Almost drowned in the neches river back in high school.. we were at the sand bar . River current caught me and I had to turn around and swim down stream.. this was in a bend in the river. When I made it to the bank I was on the wrong side so I swam down stream again to cross back.. by the time I walked back through the woods and crossed 2 more sloughs the wardens were launching their boat to look for me..

Around 21 I had an ex girlfriend try to shoot me. I had gone squirrel hunting that morning and she came over when I got back to get the rest of her stuff. She was in my room and I was in the living room. She walked in with my shotgun and said if I cant have you no one can.. I said you dont even know how to use a gun and she clicked it off safety. Pointed it and pulled the trigger.. it clicked luckily I unloaded and cleaned the gun when i got home.. that's the first time in years the gun had been unloaded..

When I was about 10 someone shot through our front door. I was laying in front of the door doing homework one night when my mom started yelling at me to go pick up the bathroom.. 30 seconds later we hear a bang.. the next day we notice the light shining through the door. Come to find out she had fed the cat on the porch and left the light on. Somebody shot the cat and the bullet went through the door and stuck in a hutch on the opposite wall.. would have hit me somewhere around the arm pit if I wouldn't have got up to clean up the bathroom.. cat made it too..

Last edited by jds247; 02-05-2019 at 03:04 PM.
jds247 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2021, 11:53 AM   #383
Big Lee
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

Man, life is fragile and some of your stories are terrifying to say the least.
Big Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2021, 05:04 PM   #384
huntandfishguy6
Eight Point

It was Good Friday 2019. I work for a class one railroad, we were switching cars. On that day i had to work on a standing cut of cars. I started over the radio that i was working in between a standing cut, the helper acknowledged, and i thought the engineer did. The engineer hadn't understood my radio transmission. He thought that i said come back. The number one problem with that he started backing up without a proper radio command. I had no sooner stepped out of the track that i had been working in the train slammed into the car that i had been working on. So if i had been there two seconds longer the knuckles that hold the car's together would have coupled me up. It would have been a horrible way to die. I have heard horror stories about it, the coupling between two cars usually doesn't kill you. It only holds you together, until they uncouple you, then you die

Last edited by huntandfishguy6; 03-12-2021 at 05:10 PM.
huntandfishguy6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2021, 05:18 PM   #385
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Almost hit by bus
Almost shot mistaken for hog in brush
Almost shot mistaken for burgler
Almost shot by past girlfriends X
Almost drowned at San Luis Pass

Lotta almost but I'm still here.
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2021, 05:23 PM   #386
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Tagged to read through this thread again. Some of you guys (and gals) have sure endured some close calls that’s for sure.
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2021, 05:44 PM   #387
175gr7.62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County,Harrison County, SW Kansas,

2002, Bist Hazari Afghanistan

Hajiiís staked a woman out in the courtyard of an old apartment building. She has been talking to us. They tied her up stuck a flare up her ****. The smell was bad....boiled her guts.

I was the senior Sgt in our Sniper platoon and I wanted to get those suckers. I walked us right into a bad spot. The only reason Iím here is because they couldnít shoot and we had good optics. We killed 17 Hajiiís that afternoon and nobody got a scratch. I figured we were all dying that afternoon though.

175gr7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2021, 05:47 PM   #388
Firefyter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas

Lost count in 38 yrs! Lol
Firefyter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2021, 05:57 PM   #389
SJP51
Six Point

Hunt In: Menard, Bryan

You guys live a fast pace life!!!

I've been shot, stabbed, and set on fire. But the closest I got to actually dying is a tie between two surgeries. Burst appendix about got me at 36, but the a liver transplant pulled both feet out of the grave at 55.

Toss in a few car wrecks other death dodges and I'm pretty my 9-lives are used up.
SJP51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2021, 09:09 PM   #390
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton , San perlita

1.Been car jacked and had a shotgun shoved in my mouth then beaten
2. Had a guy with Alzheimer’s empty a .38 @ me from about 10 yards
3.Was messing around In north africa, when desert storm started and things went off the hook and barely made it to the embassy ( got a new found respect for US marine corps)
4. Had a head on collision with a lady who was Dwi @ 70mph ( she died along with her entire family) I walked away with some bruise

Those are the hairy ones, been a few different ones that are hmm well we made it carry on ( like crashing a bush plane in a lake in Alaska)
And a couple of foreign illnesses that required hospitalization

Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 03-12-2021 at 09:18 PM.
S-3 Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2021, 10:52 PM   #391
DFWPI
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jack/Young County

Almost drowned when I was 14 in the Ouachita River. The man who saved me passed away last week at 86-years of age.

Chased a robbery suspect and he pointed his gun at me but dropped it before as I was about tonoull the trigger.

Several guns pulled on me during some undercover operations but thankfully ....

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
DFWPI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2021, 11:06 PM   #392
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
2002, Bist Hazari Afghanistan

Hajiiís staked a woman out in the courtyard of an old apartment building. She has been talking to us. They tied her up stuck a flare up her ****. The smell was bad....boiled her guts.

I was the senior Sgt in our Sniper platoon and I wanted to get those suckers. I walked us right into a bad spot. The only reason Iím here is because they couldnít shoot and we had good optics. We killed 17 Hajiiís that afternoon and nobody got a scratch. I figured we were all dying that afternoon though.

Wow
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2021, 06:58 AM   #393
camoclad
Ten Point

Hunt In: central tx

I thought I was the only one living on the edge. Lol
camoclad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2021, 07:31 AM   #394
Allpublic
Four Point

I told my story of when i nearly drowned in the other thread about near death experiences, but another time that i nearly died, was when i flipped my tractor. Got thrown over the hood, head first and landed right in front of the tractor as it came crashing down the hill. I barely missed smashing my head on the bucket, and i was barely able to roll out of the way before the tractor smashed me. Tractor crashes into a dead tree, whole top falls out of it crashes right beside me, but only little sticks hit me. I get up, take a few steps an realize that my leg doesn't want to work. I look down and my shorts are completely soaked in blood, running down my leg and into my shoe. The throttle on the tractor had gone through my groin and ruptured my femoral artery against my femor bone. Long story short, by the time i got in the car headed to the hospital, God had clotted it up and it looked like grape jelly hanging out of my leg. Doctors didn't clean it, sew it, or touch it at all, and after a few days sent me home with a compression wrap. God had saved me again.
Allpublic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2021, 07:58 AM   #395
tdwinklr
Ten Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

1. 10 yrs. old, me and a friend of mine were pulled out to sea by undertow in the Gulf. Mom was on the beach, screaming, and a couple guys swam out to get us. Then it seemed like we were a LONG way out there.

2. Two years ago, my ATV rolled on me into a flowing creek on my property and I was alone. Luckily, the water wasn't another foot deeper and I wound up on my side with the ATV laying on me. I wrestled out from under it, righted the bike and went straight home. Pretty shook up after that.
tdwinklr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2021, 08:17 AM   #396
El Paisano
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas-Arkansas

Which time? I don't know a way to measure that, and there have been so many times. Every day is a gift.
El Paisano is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2021, 08:41 AM   #397
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingjunkie View Post
Had a guy stick a pistol in my chest on the golf course because he thought that my brother-in-law stole his golf ball that went in the creek we were near. A fight pursed and while on the ground and gaining control of the gun, he pulled the trigger firing the gun just under my chin. Luckily the empty cartridge stayed lodged in the gun so it wouldn't fire again. Got control of the gun a few seconds later and choked him out until he wet his pants. Had it not been for my buddy who was with us, and got me to let him go, I had full intentions of him never seeing the light of day again. Come to find out, not only did he have a gun in his golf bag, but he also had a bunch of meth. Needless to say, he wasn't in his right mind. This was 19 years ago in Mesquite, TX. Haven't returned to that golf course since that day.

Now this is wild! Dang man

Throwin Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2021, 01:45 PM   #398
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingjunkie View Post
Just seeing this one. I assume that was at Mesquite Municipal? At least thatís what it was named back in the day. If Iím not mistaken I think thatís still the only golf course in Mesquite. I was playing that course quite a bit back in those days too.

Thatís a crazy story....especially for back then thatís for sure. Probably wouldnít surprise me to hear something like that happening there nowadays unfortunately. 🤨
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 05:26 PM   #399
Speedgoat
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Iraq, Afghanistan, Sudan, etc.

Afghanistan, 2004. Had multiple encounters with a PKM and walked through a mine field for two days while documenting remaining munitions in destroyed vehicles. Insurgents were making ied's from the leftover explosives/munitions.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
Speedgoat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 07:04 PM   #400
Chad C
Pope & Young

Ejected from ATV at high speed. Separated sternum and collapsed lung. At least, I thought I was about to die when I came too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Chad C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top