Expensive camo vs inexpensive camo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expensive camo vs inexpensive camo

Going on an elk hunt in September and have been shopping for camo for this trip. What I’ve noticed (I have seen threads on it here) is that you have really expensive camo that has great reviews and then you inexpensive stuff with mixed reviews.

What does the green screen think about the Sitka, Kuiu, and first lite line ups vs cabelas,nomads, and others?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buy something tough. I like jeans made for bird hunting with guards. Spend your money on footwear (light) and glass. Just my experience

Comment

Second that. Footwear and glass is extremely important. I’ve been close to elk in brown jeans and camo tops. It is important to have a good layering system though, especially if you will be covering a lot of ground. Good luck and have fun.

Skooter

Comment

Quality breathable layers under whatever camo you have. Prices on some of that stuff is silly!

Comment

Cabelas (I think) had some stuff that looked like the Kuiu stuff last year. Really good price.

My grandpa got it done 3 times wearing some just old West Texas camo. Layers and as others have said footwear are probably more important than paying top price for some camo.

Comment

I have a pair of danner vitals that I love. I’ll be hunting a week. Do you think they will hold up? I’m sure they will. Those boots are hands down the most comfortable boots I’ve worn.

Comment

Is like every other clothing, there's a budget line, an affordable line, and the outrageous line. Cabela's make good stuff but sometimes its over-priced.
              I've purchased a couple items from KUIU and its good stuff but its way over-priced. Sitka is even higher.
              Like others have said, concentrate on your feet in good socks and good boots.
              You can layer just about anything and get the comfort you want upper body.

Comment

Happy feet, happy life... Other than that just normal cold weather clothes, quit wearing camo years ago.

Comment

Ditto the footwear and glass comments as being the most important.

Camo patterns are nothing but marketing, it doesn't matter what tue pattern looks like. What matters is the material. You want good moisture wicking material you can then layer for the different temperatures you will experience in the mountains.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Footwear is the key. A good pair of Salomon boots does wonders. I purchased a lot of Kings camo and have loved it for both pattern, comfort, cost, and durability.

Comment

So what company has the best technology?

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
                        Ditto the footwear and glass comments as being the most important.

Camo patterns are nothing but marketing, it doesn't matter what tue pattern looks like. What matters is the material. You want good moisture wicking material you can then layer for the different temperatures you will experience in the mountains.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                        This. Patterns don’t matter. It’s all about comfort. Materials that don’t wick as well can get uncomfortable quick. Materials that take on moisture anytime you brush against a wet bush can get uncomfortable quick. Short day hunts don’t matter as much. 15 hour days in the mountains uncomfortable can turn a great hunt into a miserable one quickly.

Comment

I grew up hunting with blue jeans and a red flannel shirt. Even my jacket was either blue or brown depending on my age. I recall having a doe 7 yards from me looking straight at me. She didn't know what I was just new that lump against the tree didn't belong. It was likely my white face that she thought was odd. Point being, wear what is comfortable and warm if needed. Be still. And you'll find success.

Comment

Wash with unscented. Top and bottom clothes and gear color shade contrast is more important for breaking up form at distance than anything else.

Comment

Guccii hunting camo not required....nor needed.

I find it interesting looking at some of the Gucci camo and seeing what it is made of then doing a google or amazon search for the non-Gucci camo and laughing at how cheap you can by the exact same piece of clothing - without the brand.

As said above, get some clothes to layer. Good boots well broken in and some good binos.

Comment

Working...
                              X