Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-27-2021, 10:56 PM   #51
Take Dead Aim
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
This isn't entirely true. I argued for days with one of the Val Verde county game wardens over the issue and he text this to me, it's covered under importing carcasses into Texas.
I agree I should have used more detail. That is a newer regulation which they do zero to enforce. They did it because everyone was calling BS on what they were doing to breeders yet didn't do crap anywhere else regarding CWD. They still don't regulate moving of exotics. Or enforce it.

They don't do anything to professors either. Hell if your deer test positive they don't confiscate it. You can keep and eat it or throw it in pasture. Zero common sense use dby TPWD. They wanted to go after breeders and this was their avenue.
Take Dead Aim is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2021, 11:38 PM   #52
Encinal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Spite of Wife's Complaints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
I agree I should have used more detail. That is a newer regulation which they do zero to enforce. They did it because everyone was calling BS on what they were doing to breeders yet didn't do crap anywhere else regarding CWD. They still don't regulate moving of exotics. Or enforce it.

They don't do anything to professors either. Hell if your deer test positive they don't confiscate it. You can keep and eat it or throw it in pasture. Zero common sense use dby TPWD. They wanted to go after breeders and this was their avenue.
As you no doubt know TAHC regulates movements of exotics, so blaming TPWD for that isn't exactly above board. Exotic susceptible species regs have improved, but there is obviously much still to do. Hunters are required to submit tests on the first 3? animals taken of a species per property, but compliance thus far has been sporadic at best.

The movement regs have been around for several years, since 2012 for the first zones in West Texas, and they are enforced. (as was pointed out the first CWD zones predated the Medina county breeder positives so don't know that its accurate to say they were as a result of breeder pressure.)

For obvious reasons live animal vectors are the most concerning since they are actively shedding prions.
Encinal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2021, 12:46 PM   #53
Take Dead Aim
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinal View Post
As you no doubt know TAHC regulates movements of exotics, so blaming TPWD for that isn't exactly above board. Exotic susceptible species regs have improved, but there is obviously much still to do. Hunters are required to submit tests on the first 3? animals taken of a species per property, but compliance thus far has been sporadic at best.

The movement regs have been around for several years, since 2012 for the first zones in West Texas, and they are enforced. (as was pointed out the first CWD zones predated the Medina county breeder positives so don't know that its accurate to say they were as a result of breeder pressure.)

For obvious reasons live animal vectors are the most concerning since they are actively shedding prions.
TPWD could make one phone call and have TAHC working along with them. My point is its been handled like Covid and been political since day one.
Old 03-28-2021, 07:51 PM   #54
BowCrazy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnack Tx.

Not real familiar with CWD, does it contaminate the meat where it can't be consumed buy humans or other animals?

Last edited by BowCrazy; 03-28-2021 at 07:53 PM.
BowCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2021, 08:08 PM   #55
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowCrazy View Post
Not real familiar with CWD, does it contaminate the meat where it can't be consumed buy humans or other animals?
Not at all. Probably not a good idea to lick your knife clean after removing the head from the base of the neck though but even then not likely to hurt anything.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2021, 09:24 PM   #56
Encinal
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowCrazy View Post
Prions have been found in meat, but the higher concentrations are in the spinal column and brain.
Old 03-29-2021, 07:42 AM   #57
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Guess it was so big I missed it
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2021, 03:46 PM   #58
gtsticker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall County, Western Mountain States

Quote:
TPWD could make one phone call and have TAHC working along with them. My point is its been handled like Covid and been political since day one.

You spout a lot of opinion about this but what are your credentials that make you an expert? Or are you just another blow hard know it all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gtsticker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2021, 04:08 PM   #59
Lone_Wolf
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle1974 View Post
I’m getting nervous about the feed bill. We made another round of cottonseed in all the feed pens. This was a 1000 lb sack 8 days ago.

Oh man, don't you know deer congregating in the same area eating in close proximity is how CWD is spread. It's not natural. All that urine, saliva and poop. Shame on you.
Lone_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2021, 05:03 PM   #60
Take Dead Aim
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsticker View Post
You spout a lot of opinion about this but what are your credentials that make you an expert? Or are you just another blow hard know it all?

I never said I was an expert and did not know I need credentials to post on this site. It seems it would be pretty easy to prove my opinion wrong. Yes its just an opinion but I feel pretty confident in what I've stated. You are more than welcome to research for yourself and join the conversation.
Old 03-30-2021, 06:08 PM   #61
Encinal
Pope & Young

Easy to prove that It isn’t as simple as a phone call to change an agency’s regulatory methods?

I think that’s pretty obvious, but that’s what you are saying.
Old 03-30-2021, 08:40 PM   #62
Take Dead Aim
Ten Point

Quote:
Easy to prove that It isn’t as simple as a phone call to change an agency’s regulatory methods?

I think that’s pretty obvious, but that’s what you are saying.
Question. Do you think TPWD even cares to handle the exotic issue regarding CWD? I believe they felt they had done enough to add testing to certain counties and breeders.

Since then they have done little to nothing to make a difference. I am not saying CWD is over blown and nothing. I have always felt more needed to be done if its as bad as they say. I think they have done as little as possible and targeted breeders along the way. They seemed pretty pumped once the first breeder facility had a positive. They never worried about all the deer or elk that had tested positive in West Texas and panhandle.

I feelntge state took a less than half axx approach to the whole deal and haven't changed since. I'm fine with breeders being over tested. I'm not fine with breeders being over tested/regulated and little else being done. I don't own a breeding facility nor do I know anyone that does.
Old 03-30-2021, 10:22 PM   #63
Encinal
Pope & Young

Quote:

Quote:
I never said I was an expert and did not know I need credentials to post on this site. It seems it would be pretty easy to prove my opinion wrong. Yes its just an opinion but I feel pretty confident in what I've stated. You are more than welcome to research for yourself and join the conversation.
Quote:

Question. Do you think TPWD even cares to handle the exotic issue regarding CWD? I believe they felt they had done enough to add testing to certain counties and breeders.

Since then they have done little to nothing to make a difference. I am not saying CWD is over blown and nothing. I have always felt more needed to be done if its as bad as they say. I think they have done as little as possible and targeted breeders along the way. They seemed pretty pumped once the first breeder facility had a positive. They never worried about all the deer or elk that had tested positive in West Texas and panhandle.

I feelntge state took a less than half axx approach to the whole deal and haven't changed since. I'm fine with breeders being over tested. I'm not fine with breeders being over tested/regulated and little else being done. I don't own a breeding facility nor do I know anyone that does.
What you are saying has no basis in reality. TPWD CAN’T do anything about the exotic issue. They are regulated by a separate agency.

Done little to nothing? Good grief. The way you “feel” isn’t affirmed by the facts.
Old 03-30-2021, 10:36 PM   #64
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, ,Menard Counties

There really isn’t anything anyone can do about cwd in the wild. It’s about controlling the spread. What would take a 100 years naturally could be done with infected deer in a trailer in a couple of hours.
M16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2021, 10:48 PM   #65
Take Dead Aim
Ten Point

Quote:
What you are saying has no basis in reality. TPWD CAN’T do anything about the exotic issue. They are regulated by a separate agency.

Done little to nothing? Good grief. The way you “feel” isn’t affirmed by the facts.
I'm not talking exotics. That is one small facet. They could have really done testing across the state. Require processing facilities to share in some regulations regarding CWD. They had many options to regulate if it was really as bad as they say. They chose the route they had a bullseye on and went that route. Much of this could have been done 10 years ago when the first cases were found in the state. I'm not sure why you are defending them if CWD is such a big deal. They have done very little to stop the spread.

You pride your ranch for native genetics. Which you should. I'd rather hunt your place than just about any other in the state, especially any non native genetic place. You can't really think what TPWD did on CWD was effective any any aspect outside of costing breeders. Which im fine with. I just don't think it really stops the spread of CWD. It doesn't hurt but they did about 10% of what they needed and you and other patted them on the back.

Do you think TPWD did all the could for stopping the spread of CWD in Texas?

Do you think what they did was in the best interest of native animals to Texas?

Last edited by Take Dead Aim; 03-30-2021 at 10:55 PM.
Old 03-30-2021, 11:08 PM   #66
justletmein
Pope & Young

Quote:
I'm not talking exotics. That is one small facet. They could have really done testing across the state. Require processing facilities to share in some regulations regarding CWD. They had many options to regulate if it was really as bad as they say. They chose the route they had a bullseye on and went that route. Much of this could have been done 10 years ago when the first cases were found in the state. I'm not sure why you are defending them if CWD is such a big deal. They have done very little to stop the spread.

You pride your ranch for native genetics. Which you should. I'd rather hunt your place than just about any other in the state, especially any non native genetic place. You can't really think what TPWD did on CWD was effective any any aspect outside of costing breeders. Which im fine with. I just don't think it really stops the spread of CWD. It doesn't hurt but they did about 10% of what they needed and you and other patted them on the back.

Do you think TPWD did all the could for stopping the spread of CWD in Texas?

Do you think what they did was in the best interest of native animals to Texas?
Their hands were tied for years due to so much pushback from guys like yourself. Nobody wanted to cooperate, hell I don't even want to cooperate now and I hunt in a controlled zone.
Old 03-31-2021, 09:43 AM   #67
gtsticker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall County, Western Mountain States

Quote:

I have and have a lot of knowledge about the subject. There are many unknowns and also many facts about the issues it is causing in other states like Wyoming.
The natural cases in Mule deer are in two small areas of the state and came from deer in New Mexico naturally spreading it.

The whitetail that have had it have all been traced back to breeder facilities that imported deer for other states that had positive deer.

The fact is now that it is here!!
Every hunter needs to educate themselves on disposal and transportation of deer carcasses.

It is already hurting hunting in Texas and if the the field research is correct in Wyoming it can deplete the herd to a less than sustainable level long term.

States like Wisconsin have seen a large decline in mature quality deer in areas where CWD is prevalent.

Instead of throwing out your theory and blaming everything on someone else or so agency, grow up and be part of the solution!

gtsticker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 10:29 AM   #68
wytex
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming , Texas, Colorado, Nebraska

gtsticker it will not deplete herds levels to unsustainable levels.
That paper published bases that assumption on models.
We know most of the guys personally that wrote that paper. They do not believe that the deer herd would become extinct without CWD management.
wytex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 11:02 AM   #69
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mc Culloch County since 2015 Van Zandt County since 2017

My deer I shot in Van Zandt County 2 years ago got tested. Don't know the results. The State Biologist was at the processors when I got there. She asked if she could take the lymph nodes. I said yes.
Pushbutton2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 11:46 AM   #70
Take Dead Aim
Ten Point

Quote:
I have and have a lot of knowledge about the subject. There are many unknowns and also many facts about the issues it is causing in other states like Wyoming.
The natural cases in Mule deer are in two small areas of the state and came from deer in New Mexico naturally spreading it.

The whitetail that have had it have all been traced back to breeder facilities that imported deer for other states that had positive deer.

Every hunter needs to educate themselves on disposal and transportation of deer carcasses.

It is already hurting hunting in Texas and if the the field research is correct in Wyoming it can deplete the herd to a less than sustainable level long term.

States like Wisconsin have seen a large decline in mature quality deer in areas where CWD is prevalent.

Instead of throwing out your theory and blaming everything on someone else or so agency, grow up and be part of the solution!

Thanks for you advise. I'm more involved than most. I was the the Hueco Tank site when they killed the first CWD positive deer. I've been on site when two CWD positive native elk were killed in panhandle. I've helped with testing of over 100 mule deer. What else should I do to make you happy? I have first hand knowledge of the politics behind how this was handled. Like most govt agencies it was not dealt with in a smart manner. Yes that is just my opinion and probably not worth a penny to you. My opinion may turn out wrong and the state made all the right moves. Time will only tell. All that said I have been involved and hoping this passes without any major side effects to the deer population.
Old 03-31-2021, 11:56 AM   #71
crc
Six Point

Quote:
Thanks for you advise. I'm more involved than most. I was the the Hueco Tank site when they killed the first CWD positive deer. I've been on site when two CWD positive native elk were killed in panhandle. I've helped with testing of over 100 mule deer. What else should I do to make you happy? I have first hand knowledge of the politics behind how this was handled. Like most govt agencies it was not dealt with in a smart manner. Yes that is just my opinion and probably not worth a penny to you. My opinion may turn out wrong and the state made all the right moves. Time will only tell. All that said I have been involved and hoping this passes without any major side effects to the deer population.
Would you still eat a deer if it came back positive for CWD?
crc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 12:19 PM   #72
Take Dead Aim
Ten Point

No. Not becuase I know it will cause issues with me because I don't. Just why risk it. I can go shoot another deer that doesn't have CWD.
Old 03-31-2021, 12:19 PM   #73
SC-001
Six Point

Wheres the press release, I've heard nothing about this?
SC-001 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 12:22 PM   #74
crc
Six Point

Quote:
No. Not becuase I know it will cause issues with me because I don't. Just why risk it. I can go shoot another deer that doesn't have CWD.
Yeah that's what I figured.
Old 03-31-2021, 12:25 PM   #75
Deerguy
Ten Point

Chronic Wasting Disease Discovered at Deer Breeding Facilities in Hunt and Uvalde Counties
March 31, 2021
Media Contact: TPWD News, Business Hours, 512-389-8030
News Image Share on Facebook Share Release URL

AUSTIN – Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) has been discovered in deer breeding facilities in both Hunt and Uvalde counties. This marks the first positive detection of the disease in Hunt County.

The tissue samples were submitted by the deer breeding facilities as part of required CWD surveillance programs. The samples indicated the presence of CWD during testing at the Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory (TVMDL) in College Station on March 23 for the Uvalde County facility. Samples indicated the presence of CWD during testing at the TVMDL on March 24 for the Hunt County facility. The National Veterinary Services Laboratory in Ames, Iowa, has since confirmed CWD in those tissue samples, but the samples reported for Hunt County are undergoing DNA testing to confirm animal identification and origin.

*Officials have taken immediate action to secure all deer at the Uvalde County and Hunt County deer breeding facilities and plan to conduct additional investigations for CWD. In addition, other breeding facilities that received deer from these facilities or shipped deer to these facilities during the last five years are under movement restrictions and cannot move or release deer at this time.

Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD) and Texas Animal Health Commission (TAHC) are working together to determine the extent of the disease within the facilities and evaluate risks to Texas’ free ranging deer populations. Quick detection of CWD can help mitigate the disease’s spread.

“Recent CWD discoveries in new locations across the state are deeply concerning and underscore the criticality of redoubling efforts to help arrest the spread of this disease,” said Carter Smith, Executive Director of TPWD. “While it is important to realize that CWD is still not widespread in Texas, complacency is not an option. The only way to ensure we are effective in combating the further spread of CWD is with the active help of hunters, wildlife managers, deer breeders, and landowners. Clearly, it is imperative that we work together to protect our native deer populations to ensure the health and vitality of one of our state’s greatest natural resources.”

Although animal health and wildlife officials cannot determine how long or to what extent the disease has been present in these deer breeding facilities, both breeding facilities have active CWD surveillance programs with no positives detected until now.

CWD was first recognized in 1967 in captive mule deer in Colorado. CWD has also been documented in captive and/or free-ranging deer in 26 states and 3 Canadian provinces.

In Texas, the disease was first discovered in 2012 in free-ranging mule deer along a remote area of the Hueco Mountains near the Texas-New Mexico border and has since been detected in 220 captive or free-ranging cervids, including white-tailed deer, mule deer, red deer and elk in 11 Texas counties. For more information on previous detections visit the CWD page on the TPWD website.

CWD is a fatal neurological disease found in certain cervids, including deer, elk, moose and other members of the deer family. CWD is a slow and progressive disease. Due to a long incubation, cervids infected with CWD may not produce any visible signs for a number of years after becoming infected. As the disease progresses, animals with CWD show changes in behavior and appearance. Clinical signs may include, progressive weight loss, stumbling or tremors with a lack of coordination, excessive thirst, salivation or urination, loss of appetite, teeth grinding, abnormal head posture, and/or drooping ears.

“The incubation period of CWD can span years creating disease management challenges,” said Dr. Andy Schwartz, TAHC State Veterinarian. “Response staff are diligently working to address each herd affected by these new detections to manage further spread.”

To date there is no evidence that CWD poses a risk to humans or non-cervids. However, as a precaution, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and the World Health Organization recommend not to consume meat from infected animals.

For more information about CWD, visit the TPWD web site or the TAHC web site.
Deerguy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 12:45 PM   #76
justletmein
Pope & Young

That's the big announcement? :/
Old 03-31-2021, 12:48 PM   #77
wytex
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming , Texas, Colorado, Nebraska

Sure not good news for those facilities.
The research facility in Wyoming where it was brought and is still studied does not allow any animal to leave it. All susceptible species for CWD catch it and die at the facility once there.
Animals brought there for study are euthanized after the study even if negative.

Sounds like the facilities have good monitoring but wondering where the animals came from ?
wytex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 12:51 PM   #78
Take Dead Aim
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by crc View Post
Not sure what that has to do with anything I posted. What did you figure?
Old 03-31-2021, 01:08 PM   #79
sectxag06
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eldorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
That's the big announcement? :/
A lot of pressure was put on TPWD to tone down this release. Something like 130 breeding facilities are involved. Will be thousands of deer put down by the time this over.
sectxag06 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 01:21 PM   #80
crc
Six Point

Quote:
Not sure what that has to do with anything I posted. What did you figure?
Downplaying the significance of monitoring pen raised designer deer from being moved all around the state. I agree they can do more, and should do more, but it doesn't take an expert to understand transporting live animals is the biggest factor in it's spread. If mandatory testing in breeding facilities didn't exist, it would be a lot harder to find non CWD infected deer to eat over the infected one you yourself said is too risky to eat.
Old 03-31-2021, 02:24 PM   #81
justletmein
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by sectxag06 View Post
A lot of pressure was put on TPWD to tone down this release. Something like 130 breeding facilities are involved. Will be thousands of deer put down by the time this over.
You're right, after rethinking it every facility to/fro the two that tested are effected. Bigger news than I initially thought.
Old 03-31-2021, 03:22 PM   #82
SC-001
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerguy View Post
Chronic Wasting Disease Discovered at Deer Breeding Facilities in Hunt and Uvalde Counties
March 31, 2021
Media Contact: TPWD News, Business Hours, 512-389-8030
News Image Share on Facebook Share Release URL

AUSTIN – Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) has been discovered in deer breeding facilities in both Hunt and Uvalde counties. This marks the first positive detection of the disease in Hunt County.

The tissue samples were submitted by the deer breeding facilities as part of required CWD surveillance programs. The samples indicated the presence of CWD during testing at the Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory (TVMDL) in College Station on March 23 for the Uvalde County facility. Samples indicated the presence of CWD during testing at the TVMDL on March 24 for the Hunt County facility. The National Veterinary Services Laboratory in Ames, Iowa, has since confirmed CWD in those tissue samples, but the samples reported for Hunt County are undergoing DNA testing to confirm animal identification and origin.

*Officials have taken immediate action to secure all deer at the Uvalde County and Hunt County deer breeding facilities and plan to conduct additional investigations for CWD. In addition, other breeding facilities that received deer from these facilities or shipped deer to these facilities during the last five years are under movement restrictions and cannot move or release deer at this time.

Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD) and Texas Animal Health Commission (TAHC) are working together to determine the extent of the disease within the facilities and evaluate risks to Texas’ free ranging deer populations. Quick detection of CWD can help mitigate the disease’s spread.

“Recent CWD discoveries in new locations across the state are deeply concerning and underscore the criticality of redoubling efforts to help arrest the spread of this disease,” said Carter Smith, Executive Director of TPWD. “While it is important to realize that CWD is still not widespread in Texas, complacency is not an option. The only way to ensure we are effective in combating the further spread of CWD is with the active help of hunters, wildlife managers, deer breeders, and landowners. Clearly, it is imperative that we work together to protect our native deer populations to ensure the health and vitality of one of our state’s greatest natural resources.”

Although animal health and wildlife officials cannot determine how long or to what extent the disease has been present in these deer breeding facilities, both breeding facilities have active CWD surveillance programs with no positives detected until now.

CWD was first recognized in 1967 in captive mule deer in Colorado. CWD has also been documented in captive and/or free-ranging deer in 26 states and 3 Canadian provinces.

In Texas, the disease was first discovered in 2012 in free-ranging mule deer along a remote area of the Hueco Mountains near the Texas-New Mexico border and has since been detected in 220 captive or free-ranging cervids, including white-tailed deer, mule deer, red deer and elk in 11 Texas counties. For more information on previous detections visit the CWD page on the TPWD website.

CWD is a fatal neurological disease found in certain cervids, including deer, elk, moose and other members of the deer family. CWD is a slow and progressive disease. Due to a long incubation, cervids infected with CWD may not produce any visible signs for a number of years after becoming infected. As the disease progresses, animals with CWD show changes in behavior and appearance. Clinical signs may include, progressive weight loss, stumbling or tremors with a lack of coordination, excessive thirst, salivation or urination, loss of appetite, teeth grinding, abnormal head posture, and/or drooping ears.

“The incubation period of CWD can span years creating disease management challenges,” said Dr. Andy Schwartz, TAHC State Veterinarian. “Response staff are diligently working to address each herd affected by these new detections to manage further spread.”

To date there is no evidence that CWD poses a risk to humans or non-cervids. However, as a precaution, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and the World Health Organization recommend not to consume meat from infected animals.

For more information about CWD, visit the TPWD web site or the TAHC web site.
ehhhh thats not good, Hunt co. is a little too close for comfort for me...
Old 03-31-2021, 03:24 PM   #83
SC-001
Six Point

Quote:
Deer for sale.. for CHEAP!
Old 03-31-2021, 03:55 PM   #84
Take Dead Aim
Ten Point

Quote:
Downplaying the significance of monitoring pen raised designer deer from being moved all around the state. I agree they can do more, and should do more, but it doesn't take an expert to understand transporting live animals is the biggest factor in it's spread. If mandatory testing in breeding facilities didn't exist, it would be a lot harder to find non CWD infected deer to eat over the infected one you yourself said is too risky to eat.
Your reading comp skills are poor. I have never downplayed the testing of breeders. I think it is very important. I do think only testing breeders and doing little else, does not stop of the spread.
Old 03-31-2021, 04:09 PM   #85
sectxag06
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eldorado

Quote:
Your reading comp skills are poor. I have never downplayed the testing of breeders. I think it is very important. I do think only testing breeders and doing little else, does not stop of the spread.
I’m betting there will be expanded testing zones for kills with this new outbreak.

It comes down to this. Once CWD starts showing up regularly in deer kills (god forbid), how many people will abandon hunting all together. We have no evidence of spread to humans. But we do know another prion, mad cow, has spread to humans. If I shoot a deer in a testing area and it came back positive, I probably would not eat it. Certainly would not let my kids eat it.
sectxag06 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 04:11 PM   #86
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
There it is. The over reach of killing hundreds of non infected deer by the state.
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 04:24 PM   #87
crc
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
There it is. The over reach of killing hundreds of non infected deer by the state.
Old 03-31-2021, 04:31 PM   #88
flounder9
Four Point

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytex View Post
gtsticker it will not deplete herds levels to unsustainable levels.
That paper published bases that assumption on models.
We know most of the guys personally that wrote that paper. They do not believe that the deer herd would become extinct without CWD management.
Colorado Chronic Wasting Disease Response Plan December 2018

I. Executive Summary Mule deer, white-tailed deer, elk and moose are highly valued species in North America.

Some of Colorado’s herds of these species are increasingly becoming infected with chronic wasting disease (CWD).

As of July 2018, at least 31 of Colorado's 54 deer herds (57%), 16 of 43 elk herds (37%), and 2 of 9 moose herds (22%) are known to be infected with CWD. Four of Colorado's 5 largest deer herds and 2 of the state’s 5 largest elk herds are infected.

Deer herds tend to be more heavily infected than elk and moose herds living in the same geographic area.

Not only are the number of infected herds increasing, the past 15 years of disease trends generally show an increase in the proportion of infected animals within herds as well.

Of most concern, greater than a 10-fold increase in CWD prevalence has been estimated in some mule deer herds since the early 2000s;

CWD is now adversely affecting the performance of these herds.

snip...

(the map on page 71, cwd marked in red, is shocking...tss)

https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Ru...me/biggame.pdf

FRIDAY, JANUARY 24, 2020

Wyoming Game & Fish Discovers CWD-Positive Mule Deer in Pinedale, Discourages Feeding of Wildlife ''As of September 2019, CWD has been identified in 31 of 37 (84%) Wyoming mule deer herds, nine of 36 (25%)elk herds, and generally wherever white-tailed deer occur.

Increasing prevalence and distribution of CWD has the potential to cause widespread and long-term negative impacts to Wyoming’s cervid populations.

Prevalence of this disease in chronically infected Wyoming deer herds has exceeded 40%, with one elk herd exhibiting nearly 15% prevalence.''

''for the first time, there is clear evidence that CWD is adversely affecting the overall health and viability of some herds.''

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/WGFD/media/cont...lan_113019.pdf

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/WGFD/media/cont...appendices.pdf
flounder9 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 04:31 PM   #89
crc
Six Point

Quote:
So you're advocating for more testing outside of breeders?
Old 03-31-2021, 04:45 PM   #90
flounder9
Four Point

Unhappy

Quote:
i watched that circus play out in Iowa, where cwd was detected in captive herd, then the lawyers got involved, all the folks cried over all those perfectly healthy looking deer, where a large group assembled on a certain deer farmers board, where a many of folks lay claim they were going to come to the aid of the farmers, even some suggested cutting the fence, and some liked that suggestion, and letting all these perfectly healthy looking deer go, that were penned up. when the dust settle in court, the depopulation of that herd was finally done and cwd testing finished, the final tally for that perfectly healthy looking deer herd was 79.8 percent of the deer tested positive for the disease. just saying...

https://www.iowaagriculture.gov/pres...ss10022014.asp
flounder9 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 04:48 PM   #91
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can.

Quote:

Yeah doesn't help when the **** states solution is to go in and wipe out aka shoot and feed to the coyotes entire herds of deer. What a great solution, to keep the deer from dying from one thing that might kill a few lets go wipe out the ENTIRE herd.

Quote:
Yep, solution to keep a handful of animals from kicking it is going to be kill thousands of animals. Everything to do with CWD needs to just go away, don't test for it, don't try to mitigate, don't do a **** thing. Let it run its course and I bet no one even notices that it exists in 10 yrs with minimal if any change to herd numbers due to the disease.
westtexducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 04:49 PM   #92
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
That has literally nothing to do with what I said.
Old 03-31-2021, 04:53 PM   #93
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Quote:
I’m betting there will be expanded testing zones for kills with this new outbreak.

It comes down to this. Once CWD starts showing up regularly in deer kills (god forbid), how many people will abandon hunting all together. We have no evidence of spread to humans. But we do know another prion, mad cow, has spread to humans. If I shoot a deer in a testing area and it came back positive, I probably would not eat it. Certainly would not let my kids eat it.
How many people have abandoned deer/elk hunting in cwd areas? Not many and there's still tons of hunting going on in those areas.
bloodtrailer28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 04:55 PM   #94
Take Dead Aim
Ten Point

Quote:
So you're advocating for more testing outside of breeders?
That along with many other areas that need addressed or do nothing at all. To half ask it and test breeders and some trouble spots is useless. They have one toe in the pool so to speak. Either jump in or stay dry. Can't do both.
Old 03-31-2021, 04:55 PM   #95
crc
Six Point

Quote:
That has literally nothing to do with what I said.
lol ok, still can't answer it or what?
Old 03-31-2021, 05:06 PM   #96
crc
Six Point

Quote:
That along with many other areas that need addressed or do nothing at all. To half ask it and test breeders and some trouble spots is useless. They have one toe in the pool so to speak. Either jump in or stay dry. Can't do both.
I agree more should be done, I disagree they should do nothing if not all. It's not hard to figure out why Breeders are held to a higher standard regarding CWD when selling and trading live deer is their business.
Old 03-31-2021, 05:38 PM   #97
Encinal
Pope & Young

Quote:
Is there a facepalm emoji on TBH?
Old 03-31-2021, 05:44 PM   #98
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
lol ok, still can't answer it or what?
If you want to just hear yourself speak then so be it. But stay on topic if you’re going to try and have a useful conversation. For all I know I have already eaten one with it. None of us know. NONE.

Millions of deer killed every year. Millions. But CWD is a huge issue right? So odds are that many people have eaten one with CWD.
Old 03-31-2021, 05:50 PM   #99
Encinal
Pope & Young

Quote:
If you want to just hear yourself speak then so be it. But stay on topic if you’re going to try and have a useful conversation. For all I know I have already eaten one with it. None of us know. NONE.

Millions of deer killed every year. Millions. But CWD is a huge issue right? So odds are that many people have eaten one with CWD.
Odds are very very very very low that if you have only eaten Texas deer you have eaten a deer with CWD.
Old 03-31-2021, 05:51 PM   #100
Encinal
Pope & Young

Quote:
What prevalence do you want tested for? And to what efficacy of detection?