Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-05-2021, 08:34 PM   #1
RiverRat00
Pope & Young

Default Salt water pool or fresh water pool

Which one is better and why?

Need to decide soon and need to know the pros and cons of both from people that know.
RiverRat00 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 08:38 PM   #2
Ryan C
Eight Point

Hunt In: North Texas. Northern NM

I hope the answer is salt water. Guy supposed to be starting on ours anytime now. Looking like he’s gonna use one week of bad weather for a months worth of delays.
Ryan C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 08:43 PM   #3
Walker
Ten Point

I have 2 above ground salt pools. In in San antonio with hard water. Only have to add salt from loss of water from back flushing the filter. I add Muratic acid about every 2 months and have to clean my generator 3 to 4 times a year. Nothing else. My other pool is in corpus and corpus uses surface water. Othe than salt I add nothing to that pool and the generator doesn't build up calcium.
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 08:44 PM   #4
Wfalls
Six Point

Hunt In: Burnet , Clay

Fresh water ! The salt destroys everything. If you are going to have any type of water feature don’t and the equipment won’t last .
Wfalls is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 08:46 PM   #5
RWB
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon County

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat00 View Post
Which one is better and why?

Need to decide soon and need to know the pros and cons of both from people that know.
I have had both and prefer chlorine vs salt. Chlorine just seems to stay cleaner to me. If you do salt dont do natural stone around the pool. Also if you do salt make sure to keep the no spray end on your polaris. Anything the salt water hits is going to rust. Just my 2 cents and I bet you will get the exact opposite of my opinion.
It's easy to switch from salt to chlorine if you dont like it just have to eat the cost of the salt cell.
RWB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 08:55 PM   #6
bbqfan5909
Ten Point

This is 100% false! I have a salt pool, itís great and only runs 3500 ppm salt (which is less than a eye tear drop). Add salt every so often and muriatic acid to clear pool after rains and heavy pool usage. Clean the salt cell as recommended. Water is so much softer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wfalls View Post
Fresh water ! The salt destroys everything. If you are going to have any type of water feature donít and the equipment wonít last .
bbqfan5909 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 08:58 PM   #7
BigL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

I can't compare with chlorine pools but my salt pool is very low maintenance.
BigL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 09:03 PM   #8
scarecrow
Six Point

Hunt In: Polk Co.

What is a fresh water pool? Never heard of a fresh. Only salt or chlorine
scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 09:09 PM   #9
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
This is 100% false! I have a salt pool, itís great and only runs 3500 ppm salt (which is less than a eye tear drop). Add salt every so often and muriatic acid to clear pool after rains and heavy pool usage. Clean the salt cell as recommended. Water is so much softer.

I had a salt pool previously and went through 2 chlorine generators in 8 years. It also ate up the ladder (not aluminum) in 3-4 years.

My brother and sister in law have a salt water pool and they are constantly having their natural stone flake and sand off in the pool, they end up chipping off calcium from around their coping about every other year. They have been through 2 chlorine generators and heís repaired the one he has now a couple of times. This is in a span of 15 years.

To say itís not corrosive is not factual either.

Based on these past experiences we went with chlorine on our current pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Mike D; 03-05-2021 at 09:12 PM.
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 09:14 PM   #10
bbqfan5909
Ten Point

We have natural stone and pool is 10 years old. All original equipment, works great. I also do my own pool cleaning, water testing, etc and Care for it weekly. I had a standard pool on last home, this salt system is far superior.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:24 PM   #11
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County

Iím going fresh and hopefully it starts next week. heís had my 10% deposit for a couple months now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 09:39 PM   #12
Wits_End
Ten Point

No overall difference in salt vs nonsalt as far as maintenance. Each have their own issues and pluses. They both use chlorine to kill bacteria so absolutely no difference in chlorine content. Salt water pools use salt water generators to change salt to chlorine. Chlorine pools simply inject chlorine.

The only benefit salt gives is softer water, which i am a fan of. Hardly can tell it is salt as far as taste.
Wits_End is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 09:41 PM   #13
Oldtimer11
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Sulphur, OK

Salt all the way. Maintenance is minimal- 1/4 gal muriatic acid every week. Trip to leslies every other month to confirm all is good. Eats about 3 sacks of salt each spring which is nothing compared to my neighbor who buys chlorine buy the bucket.
Oldtimer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 09:46 PM   #14
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: public & pvt land

I had a salt water pool. Got tired of replacing the T-cells and a motherboard. Switched to chlorine and haven’t looked back. I’m happier with the chlorine
Cajun Blake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 10:00 PM   #15
TX CHICKEN
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnes County, Jim Hogg and Duval County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Blake View Post
I had a salt water pool. Got tired of replacing the T-cells and a motherboard. Switched to chlorine and havenít looked back. Iím happier with the chlorine

This has been my experience as well...I went through 2 cells the last 5 years so switched to chlorine and to me itís easier.

TX CHICKEN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 10:12 PM   #16
Take Dead Aim
Ten Point

Salt water is a disasters on many fronts. Go with a chlorine with a UV and Ozone cleaner. You need very little chlorine. In fact you can't even smell the chlorine in water or on you as the level is so low. The additional cost of UV and ozone cleaners is around $1250 for everything.
Take Dead Aim is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 10:15 PM   #17
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX, North TX, & SE Oklahoma

I run a business that builds custom pools. I prefer chlorine and that's what my personal pool is. Out of every 100 pools we build, 99 of them are not salt. Salt pools will corrode pumps ( impellers and gears) much faster, can damage natural stone around your pool ( which we use a lot), and the salt generators seem to need replaced sooner than they should. Some people love them but I'm not a big fan and we don't build many of them unless a customer insists which doesn't happen often. There are pros and cons to both.
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 10:17 PM   #18
Swampa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWB View Post
I have had both and prefer chlorine vs salt. Chlorine just seems to stay cleaner to me. If you do salt dont do natural stone around the pool. Also if you do salt make sure to keep the no spray end on your polaris. Anything the salt water hits is going to rust. Just my 2 cents and I bet you will get the exact opposite of my opinion.
It's easy to switch from salt to chlorine if you dont like it just have to eat the cost of the salt cell.

^^^^^^^^^This. Iím not a volume builder, but we build 30+\- chlorine pools/yr and zero salt. I give the option but it doesnít make sense to create a saltwater beach environment in your backyard.

Swampa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 10:19 PM   #19
Foxtrot
Six Point

Hunt In: Looking!

Salt is easier to deal with day to day but that salt eats uo everything
Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 10:24 PM   #20
SharpEnd
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineywoods View Post
I run a business that builds custom pools. I prefer chlorine and that's what my personal pool is. Out of every 100 pools we build, 99 of them are not salt. Salt pools will corrode pumps ( impellers and gears) much faster, can damage natural stone around your pool ( which we use a lot), and the salt generators seem to need replaced sooner than they should. Some people love them but I'm not a big fan and we don't build many of them unless a customer insists which doesn't happen often. There are pros and cons to both.
Our pool builder gave us the same advice, strongly leaning towards a chlorine system. He liked to say "they're all chlorine pools anyway, chlorine is in salt" and then would laugh.
SharpEnd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 10:25 PM   #21
LFD2037
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Over yonder

There’s a reason companies are fading away from salt pools. I researched the ever living crap out it when we built ours 2 years ago and the vast majority of pool owners were, or were wanting to, switch to chlorine. No pool owners, that I researched, wanted to change from chlorine to salt. My pool builder makes more money off salt pools and steered me clear of it.
LFD2037 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 10:27 PM   #22
LFD2037
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineywoods View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampa View Post
^^^^^^^^^This. Iím not a volume builder, but we build 30+\- chlorine pools/yr and zero salt. I give the option but it doesnít make sense to create a saltwater beach environment in your backyard.

This should be all the input you need.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:30 PM   #23
meangreen
Ten Point

Hunt In: Montague

Quote:
This. Iíve built pools for 13 years
meangreen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 11:37 PM   #24
meangreen
Ten Point

Hunt In: Montague

Quote:
We have natural stone and pool is 10 years old. All original equipment, works great. I also do my own pool cleaning, water testing, etc and Care for it weekly. I had a standard pool on last home, this salt system is far superior.
Clean the salt cell with acid once a year as recommended this should be the case.
meangreen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2021, 01:29 AM   #25
LFD2037
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by meangreen View Post
This. Iíve built pools for 13 years
Iíve only met 4 pool builders in my life but you disagree with all 4 of them. Add the 2 that have chimed in here and that puts it @ 6 against salt, 1 for salt. Thatís 85.7% of pool builders say no salt.
Old 03-06-2021, 03:37 AM   #26
sailor
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

If you do the maintenance on a salt pool...........
It's water, is far superior...........
I've had both.......
Yep, each have they're drawbacks...........and pluses ..................
I prefer Salt.............
So put me down, as #2........
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2021, 07:38 AM   #27
Sparkles
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County

Based on our data over 4-5 years and over 100s of pools, salt use 18% more $ in chemicals and 22% more in repairs.
So if you arenít doing it for the feel of the water donít

Sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2021, 07:45 AM   #28
Take Dead Aim
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkles View Post
Based on our data over 4-5 years and over 100s of pools, salt use 18% more $ in chemicals and 22% more in repairs.
So if you arenít doing it for the feel of the water donít

Super close to my wife's numbers. She is a pool builder and will NOT build a sal water pool. She does install UV and Ozone standard on all pools.
Old 03-06-2021, 07:49 AM   #29
Take Dead Aim
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFD2037 View Post
I’ve only met 4 pool builders in my life but you disagree with all 4 of them. Add the 2 that have chimed in here and that puts it @ 6 against salt, 1 for salt. That’s 85.7% of pool builders say no salt.
Make it 7. My wife builds 30 to 50 a year and has never done one and will not do one in the future. Anyone recommending one is stuck in the 90s and early 2000s. Trend has moved away from them for a decade for all the reasons mentioned above.

She has converted over 20 systems from Salt to Chlorine. She has converted zero Chlorine to Salt.
Old 03-06-2021, 07:59 AM   #30
Drop Tine
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere and anything legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
Salt water is a disasters on many fronts. Go with a chlorine with a UV and Ozone cleaner. You need very little chlorine. In fact you can't even smell the chlorine in water or on you as the level is so low. The additional cost of UV and ozone cleaners is around $1250 for everything.
This is what we did and we have been very pleased.
Drop Tine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2021, 08:16 AM   #31
bbqfan5909
Ten Point

This is almost as bad as “beans, no beans”. End of day, pool requires work and will cost money for repairs. Not to mention freeze issues...
Old 03-06-2021, 08:31 AM   #32
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
This is almost as bad as ďbeans, no beansĒ. End of day, pool requires work and will cost money for repairs. Not to mention freeze issues...

Except beans/no beans is purely opinion. Several people who build pools for a living recommend no salt.

Youíve been happy with yours and thatís great for you.

Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2021, 08:32 AM   #33
PassnItOn
Ten Point

Hunt In: McMullen County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Blake View Post
I had a salt water pool. Got tired of replacing the T-cells and a motherboard. Switched to chlorine and havenít looked back. Iím happier with the chlorine
This - we switched to Chlorine for the same reasons. Also, choose stone wisely if you go salt. I'm getting quotes to replace, it just ate them up.
PassnItOn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2021, 08:47 AM   #34
Alderrg
Four Point

Hunt In: Llano / Trinity Bay

My first pool was salt. Very easy to maintain as far as water chemistry. Salt cells were expensive and seemed to go bad right as warranty went out. The salt ate everything metal around the pool and left rust spots. my flagstone coping was getting ate up. the rocks on the waterfall were so bad after about 5 yrs that you didnt run the waterfall bc of the amount of sand/rock that washed away and ended up in the pool. had calcium build up always on the stone around the spa spillover.

We just built another and did not go with salt. Our builder builds prob the most pools in houston area and said they build very few salt pools now.
Alderrg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2021, 09:21 AM   #35
Bigfootwolff
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anderson County, Colorado County

My sister had a saltwater pool, and had issues with anything steel corroding and rusting near the pool. Switched over to chlorine, and are glad they did. My neighbor owns a pool installation business, and installs both, but recommended chrlorine to me, saying that saltwater has too many corrosion related issues.
Bigfootwolff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2021, 09:47 AM   #36
Tommyh
Pope & Young

I think we are all overlooking the most important aspect of this discussion.

Will a redfish live in a saltwater pool?
Tommyh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2021, 09:53 AM   #37
bulltx50
Ten Point

Hunt In: baylor,knox, McCulloch counties

Salt water all the way. So easy to to up keep. Scale is the hardest issue on the tile but thats it.
bulltx50 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2021, 10:00 AM   #38
Roger
Eight Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Collingsworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpEnd View Post
Our pool builder gave us the same advice, strongly leaning towards a chlorine system. He liked to say "they're all chlorine pools anyway, chlorine is in salt" and then would laugh.
Same here. Our builder does both, but highly recommended chlorine. We also went with a cartridge filter vs sand and added a UV cleaner. This will be our third season with it. Very low maintenance, except the dang pentair racer that won't last more than three months before wheels quit working!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2021, 01:44 PM   #39
bbqfan5909
Ten Point

So hold on here, because a few who build said ďx,y,zĒ makes it fact? Those pool builders are giving their opinions.

For those having buildup on natural stone, keep up with the balance of water and spray bottle with acid makes quick work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Except beans/no beans is purely opinion. Several people who build pools for a living recommend no salt.

Youíve been happy with yours and thatís great for you.

Old 03-06-2021, 02:04 PM   #40
Drop Tine
Ten Point

Quote:
So hold on here, because a few who build said ďx,y,zĒ makes it fact? Those pool builders are giving their opinions.

For those having buildup on natural stone, keep up with the balance of water and spray bottle with acid makes quick work.
Nah I feel like itís been some pretty objective information. Which is demonstrated by your nonchalant recommendation of spraying acid on stone regularly for upkeep with a salt pool. Thatís a no for me.

At the end of the day you spend your money on what makes you happy. Thatís the beauty of freedom (at least for now).
Old 03-06-2021, 05:07 PM   #41
Take Dead Aim
Ten Point

Quote:

Yes at this time those are the facts. Chloris better than Salt. Service, maintenance, cost, etc. Saltwater pools were a fad. Why would I steer someone away from what I would do and have done for my own pool? You are being obtuse.
Old 03-06-2021, 05:30 PM   #42
Fishinag22
Spike

Hunt In: Dewitt County

I bought my house with a saltwater pool and yes it is easy to take care of but I made the change back to Chlorine a year ago and I could not be happier. We had an Ozonator added when we changed to chlorine and it has made world of difference, with having it we do not have to use as much chlorine. To me I cant tell the chlorine is in the water, it doesnt burn my eyes and you dont have the chlorine feel on your skin or hair. I am glad we made the switch to chlorine and honestly it seems easier to take care of.

Saltwater ate away everything around my pool. I went through 3 stainless steel gas grills in 5 years, 3 metal patio tables and countless metal patio chairs. It even rusted away and exterior light and an outdoor ceiling fan. We have slate tiles around the pool and the salt has damaged them pretty badly. Like I said we bought the house with a saltwater pool and I am not sure how the previous owners took care of the pool tiles but I do know you can prevent the salt from damaging them if you keep them sealed. Not to mention at salt cell chlorinator has a life of about 5-7 years and they are about $1500 to replace.

When we had it changed to chlorine, my pool guy told us Saltwater pools are great in dry climates that do not receive much rain, but here in Houston we receive too much rain and advised us chlorine is better for our climate.

This is all my opinion, for me and living in Houston, chlorine is the way to go.
Fishinag22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2021, 07:56 PM   #43
ColinR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Roosevelt/Sonora

We built a pool last year and out of the 6 companies we got bids from zero of them recommended salt. If fact the majority would not even consider doing one. I think one one said if that is what we wanted they would do it but definitely didn’t recommend it. We have an ozone generator with our chlorinator and use very little chemicals.
ColinR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2021, 08:01 PM   #44
LFD2037
Pope & Young

Quote:

Time to throw in the towel dude. Know when youíre beat.
Old 03-07-2021, 08:10 PM   #45
RiverRat00
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop Tine View Post
This is what we did and we have been very pleased.
What does the UV/ ozone do to improve the water?
RiverRat00 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2021, 08:19 PM   #46
Drop Tine
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat00 View Post
What does the UV/ ozone do to improve the water?
This is a pretty informative article. To summarize it reduces chlorine usage and keeps the water very clean. Can swim underwater with eyes open and it's no issue in our pool.

https://www.riverpoolsandspas.com/bl...cost-pros-cons

Good luck with the build!
Old 03-07-2021, 08:50 PM   #47
parkchief100
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sunset, Colorado

We built a pool when we built our house a few months ago. Out of the 4 pool builders we had bid it, non of them recommended salt water. They said it was hard on the equipment and that it would eat up all of our natural stone on the hot tub, tanning ledge and waterfall/ grotto. It made it an easy choice for us- chlorine!
parkchief100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2021, 09:09 PM   #48
Grant2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Big Tex

Salt destroys everything after awhile. Would highly recommend chlorine pool.
Grant2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2021, 10:21 PM   #49
TacticalCowboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Southern Taylor County, Tom Green County

I'd recommend not getting a pool and going to swim at the lake.
TacticalCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2021, 10:35 AM   #50
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
I'd recommend not getting a pool and going to swim at the lake.

This! close thread!!

Seriously, though, when we bought our place it had a pool... Previous owners had a guy that came by once a week and did his magic on the pool/equipment... We continued that service... I have never done anything to my pool. It's crystal clear and my grandsons love it... THAT's the only reason I haven't taken my tractor and FEL and filled the sucker in and planted grass (or corn and other veggies) there... It is currently a chlorine fresh water pool but was built to be either...

It's really nice to sit around the pool and watch the boys have a blast, but I personally have absolutely no use for a pool... Oh yea, my lab loves it too... I hardly ever have to bathe her... so there is that one benefit for me...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top