No announcement yet.

water well / pvc / pex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my over had pex froze sunday night and finally thawed yesterday evening. def not freeze proof, its more durable then pvc when it does freeze though.

Comment

Our pex lines freeze but they’ve never failed.

Comment

Pex isn’t made for exterior use/exposure to sunlight. Might be ok inside a well house but you don’t want it it out in the open for sure.

Comment

I had a pex hot water line freeze. I read that you should open the faucet and it will equalize the pressure inside the pex line and there is less chance of a rupture. Pretty sure I read it on here. Anyways, that’s what I did and line thawed without rupturing.

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
            You will be a lot better off using pex over pvc. There are a bunch of you tube videos on it. I had a couple lines on the outside walls freeze but they didn't bust..
            ^^ Ditto

Comment

Well piping is 1 1/4" so no, you can't use PEX. Also, there are lots of connections involved in plumbing a well and usually not much room so again, no.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                Well piping is 1 1/4" so no, you can't use PEX. Also, there are lots of connections involved in plumbing a well and usually not much room so again, no.

My well is piped with 1-1/4ā€ uponor. Same material as pex. They are different brands.

Comment

We had our home repiped last year with PEX and the new lines were fully insulated. We had good water flow all week with the exception of one line on the outside wall that started to ice up. Eventually it broke loose (you could hear the ice in the line moving) and the water started flowing freely again. Pretty happy with how it held up. Polyethylene-cross-lock is made to expand to a certain point, problems are usually in the manifolds and at the fittings as previously noted. Iā€™m a fan so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by fishman View Post
                    My well is piped with 1-1/4ā€ uponor. Same material as pex. They are different brands.
                    Not quite. PEX stands for polyethylene cross. Uponor is a brand of pex that uses expansion fittings. It is a good brand. So is Zurn and Viega.

Definitely do your research and go with a brand that is trusted. A failing plumbing system is VERY expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_gun View Post
                      my pipe at well/ pressure tank is 1-1/4" , does Pex come that large? an yea loosk like if the fittings are brass, they will pop eventually
                      Yes you can get it up to 2ā€

Comment

Install a valve down low so next time you loose power you can go drain it asap and be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                          This.

And as good as a manifold sounds, I was reccomended not to put one in my shop. All the plumbers I know say that's the weakest point

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
                          With my limited experience, I totally agree with this. When I first saw a pex manifold, I thought that it was one of the greatest ideas. (this was in a Habitat for Humanity house). Wouldn't you know it, but one morning when we came to the build, water was everywhere. It was leaking at the manifold.

Just a couple of weeks ago (before all this cold weather), my stepson had a leak in his house. it was at the manifold.

Maybe there are some manifolds out there that are much better quality, but I don't really like the idea of plastic valve bodies.

Comment

Originally posted by Craw3773 View Post
                            Not quite. PEX stands for polyethylene cross. Uponor is a brand of pex that uses expansion fittings. It is a good brand. So is Zurn and Viega.

Definitely do your research and go with a brand that is trusted. A failing plumbing system is VERY expensive.
                            This ^

I work for one of the largest plumbing distributors in SETX and we sell the shiz out of Uponor, Zurn and Viega.

Comment

Working...
                            X